INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Miss Faith, Cade, and "Gilbert Grape"  (Read 6444 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Miss Faith, Cade, and "Gilbert Grape"
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
Nice    :thumbsup:   very nice !Thanx for sharing.I know I don't need a kill story my "best" season didn't result in my even drawing my bow on game but it was a season to remember

Keep up the good work memories last a life time
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
Kids don't soon forget the time their parents spend with them. Ask him in 20 years what he got for christmas or his birthday when he was 10, no dought he wont remember. But he will remember the time he and his dad spent in the woods just them together. No we don't need a kill thread a good father and son thread will do just fine   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I agree. Ol' Curt (AKA, Guru) came to visit me in Montana 2 years ago. We had a great hunt. Curt is an amazing shot. Acomplished hunter. Knowledgable woodsman and all around rock solid guy. But what impressd me the most, was of how lovingly and adoringly he spoke of his family.

That is the measure of a man. Kill threads come and go...but a great father and son adventure...now that is priceless!

Love ya Guru

Peter Iacavazzi

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Curt, no need to continue the story! You have already described a hunt that is about as good as it could get!  That is way too much fun!  Thanks for sharing!  Cade sounds like he's got it bad! It is bred in! You can't teach that kind of excitement.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Very well said Stoneknife!!!   Lovin this story, thanks for sharin Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
I don't know what to say guys,other than I'm truly humbled by your kind words......

Peter...well you know...luv ya bro....

....so there he is strutting at about 25-30yds and Cade whispers, "here comes the money shot"....I couldn't help but chuckle at that one....luv that boy!

But  Gilbert wasn't coming any closer,he kept his distance from the decoys...he's started to make a half circle to our right,gobbling and strutting the whole time.....then he stopped and got right in line with my hen decoy,as in right in the same vineyard row so she had a clear view of him,and him of her......he was trying to steal the hen from "Floyd".....that's when it became obvious that 'Ol Gilbert was a lover,not a fighter!

He stayed there for over ten minutes..spinning around,strutting,gobbling, and doing his best to get her to come to him....after about 20 minutes in all he'd finally had enough and just started walking away to the other side of the vineyard toward the orchard.....

This is how Cade spent his downtime.....

Then I saw why he was headed that way. He had a "side show" worthy girlfriend....a bearded lady!  That's right...she had a beard about 4" long and pencil thin....now I have 2 possible targets out there. How cool would it be to shoot a bearded hen with Miss faith! Cade was once again very interested....

I call and try my best to get her attention, but they just meandered around....

Cade was really gettin' tired from getting up so early so he tried to take a nap.....

He never did fall asleep though, he was pretty worked up after all the excitement. Gilbert and his "carny" girlfriend seemed like they were now going to go over the stonewall and head for the orchard. Cade and I planned our next move...as soon as they went over and out of site we'd pack up and try another set up over in the orchard. But just when they were about to go over,a commotion ahead of them over the wall caught my eye....Jakes, and lots of them!!!

No need to move now. Cade was once again at full attention as he nervously sat beside me. A few yelps and clucks later six red heads were heading our way!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
All too soon you will be the one taking a nap and Cade will be on the call. Sounds like a great morning Curt.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Curt this is really cool, I bet Cade couldn't wait to tell his buddies about "huntin" with dad.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Great stuff Curt! Look's like the blind bag also makes a nice sleeping mat. I'll have to try that myself.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
Great story Curt...keep it up! Love the pics, man is he really growing. Seems like just yesterday he was toddlin...soon he be drawing back right there with you.

I concur with all that's been said about Curt so far: great friend, great shot, great hunter, but most of all loving family man. I was taught that the true measure of a man is by the love that he shares with his family and friends. He is rich in all those regards.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
:campfire:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Those DB stuff sacks have more uses than a walmart bag   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
Geez guys, again I'm humbled...but I will say that I'm simply the product of the two most amazing/loving parents that anyone could ever ask for. I'm just trying to do the same with my kids......

....as they came closer and closer I was afraid when they saw "Floyd", they too would balk not wanting a to mess with him. But I was also thinking that maybe they'd come in and try to gang up on him,I've seen jakes do that to big toms before...I hoped for the latter.......

...Cade was quiet as a church mouse.....as they cam over the rise one by one they saw the decoy and hit the brakes and started putting...dang!

One stood at about 12yds,facing right at me.If I had my "Cy",I'd have shot right then. But with my time so limited with Miss Faith,tuning wasn't quite what I wanted it to be.....I wanted my shot to be at 12yds or preferable under 10.....my window was closing quickly and I know Cade really wanted my to shoot....they started to move off and as the closest started to walk I yelped to stop him...he stopped, I shot, and I missed!

They all jumped up, landed, and walked away......If you look close you can see 5 of the six in this pic......

After they were out of site it was time to pack up to see if we could find Gilbert in the orchard...

Of course Cade asked to "track the string".....

And he "tracked" it right to where I'd drilled a post.....

Our set up,might look familiar to some.....

Before we hit the orchard I let Cade blow my crow call to see if he could get Gilbert to gobble so we could set up on him again.He answered and of course he wanted to do it again. So we waited a minute and he did it again and so did Gilbert!

Well we set up...

But as hard as I tried he just wouldn't come in. He must have gobbled 50 times,but kept moving away......It was time to call it a day.....

Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Trying to pull Miss Faith.....

Going home.....

Don't know how I forgot to add this earlier....but on the way driving out of the orchard I said to Cade, "so what did you think bud?"...

...his reply....."Daddy, this is the best day of my life"

I smiled and said...."me too bud, me too"....

As you can see,I am truly blessed......thanx for following along.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Bravo, man, bravo!!!

:notworthy:    :clapper:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
Awesome, Curt.  That will be a fond memory i'm sure.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Great story and pix, looking forward to the next installment...Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Great story! Love the pics!
You have every reason to be one proud Dad   :clapper:
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©