INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Spring Bear Story with pics  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Spring Bear Story with pics
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Took me 3 years to get my second crack at a bear.  The first one went well and finally after a few close encounters over these last few years it all came together on May 29.  I had been hunting a new area to me and when I could get out through all the snow I was finding good bear sign.  Everywhere I went was brand new and most spots were picked looking at maps...both aerial and topo.  I love new areas and this boosted my enjoyment this spring.  However, I think I may have found a home for a while.  Theres more exploring to be done.

The hunt I was on took me up a finger ridge 1800' to the main ridge.  I saw some bear sign starting about 2/3 of the way up. Took me 1.5 hours to get up there.  Once there the view was amazing, but the snow was deep.  I immediately saw a beautiful green meadow about 1 mile away.  I had no idea where I was looking exactly.  I glassed it and...saw a bear.  Long ways off but it looked like a nice brown bear...most likely a Cinnamon or chocolate Blacky but hard to be sure. One week later I would find this meadow and hike into it.  I saw a bear and snuck-up on him to take his picture. He was safe today as my tag was filled.  ;)  

Back to May 29.  I moved on North up the ridge poking over the lips here and there peeking into the tops of tiny meadows that were snow free.  After a few hours of navigating the snow patches I wanted to go just a few more hundred yards so I could look into one more drainage.  I spied a big bear below me on a gated logging road.  The binocs told me immediately it was a Grizzer.  Dammmn!! Awesome though.  I watched him walk the road for a long ways heading for greener pastures. The second picture shows him best all though he has traveled down the road at this point.  He's mid frame but slightly left 1/2 inch.  Brown blob on the road itself.  In the first picture hes on the closest section of road heading up frame and away from me!!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spring Bear Story with pics
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
After watching the Grizzer for a while it was time to head back.  I was too high...hadnt seen a bear track in all the snow I was walking.  I hiked back to the spot where I had summited the ridge and began to drop back down.  When I got to the big bench I slowed and stil-hunted.  This is where I had seen the bear sign...big poop and tracks.  It was like a new climate down off the big ridge.  This place had the hair on the back of my neck standing up.  It was too perfect, south facing with open mature timber and enough openings where the grass could sprout-up.  

"Theres a big black fur ball" (I said to myself). Binocs..."he's a big one...shooter for sure...what should I do now...he's heading my way already...you've got to be kidding me". He was about 80 yards.

Thats about what happened the first 20 seconds I spotted him.  I dropped and put on my sneaky slippers...which were brand new and never worn before.  I bought them a week earlier after a long stalk on a bear where it wasnt practical to take off the boots.

Standing back up and getting squared away I relocated the bear below me...he was rolling a huge log!! And he was still heading my way.  I jockeyed for position, moving over the lip of the ridge so I could see down the slope better.  Here he comes still, zig-zagging but never for long and always he corrected my way. Within 10 minutes of spotting him he was standing still 20 yards away behind some small lodgepole. He had looked my way twice but never saw me. I told myself to get ready cause when he continues on a few feet he would clear the brush.  No sooner thought that and on his way he went.  Just as he came in the open he started quartering away and then stopped.  At the same time I also realized it was hard to make out his shoulder and pick a spot.  I couldnt see his belly line so couldnt see the back of his front leg.  I did the best I could and zeroed in and took my shot. Looked really, really good.  He growled and snapped at the 3 inches of fletching poking out of his side.  He ran 70 yards and turned to thrash at his sides again.  I was positive I was gonna get to see him go down in sight.  Not!!!  He ran again at full speed downhill and across.  The open timber allowed me to see him for a ways.  He was gone.  Listening for a while...no sounds.

Taking up the track there was a large threat of rain.  I was worried for sure.  It was after 7  pm.  It took about 30 minutes but I found him...he had went 250 yards give or take. When you first spot your bear (20 yards) and give him a judo in the shoulder to see if he moves and he doesnt...the party can begin.  It's still goin-on as a matter of fact.       :D    

What an incredible animal.  I was floored.  I couldnt drag him so rolled him into position for some photos.  I caped him...well dark when I was done.  With my Bison gear pack loaded with head and cape I started the long hike out in the dark.  It had started raining after pictures and it was very, very steep and wet.  I made it back to the car at around 11:10 pm.  After finding my keys...which had fell off there hiding spot into some car parts I was finally safe and sound.  I drove out to where I could get cell service to call my wife and a few friends who knew I was out and about then back to the cozy camper by the stream.  I was in bed by 1:00 something.  Up the next AM and back to the bear to pack out the meat with the frame. All of it could not have went any better...what a deal.  Gotta love what we all do!!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
The pics.

When I first saw him on the blood trail. Yeehaw!

After hitting him with a judo to be sure.

A pic with my partner before moving him.

The trophy shot!

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Congrats again Randy, Awesome!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Heres one of the last leg of the pack out.  You can see my car in the bottom.

Well thats it, thanks for sharing that with me.  I hope the pics arent too big.  I resized them on photobucket but thats changed since the last time.  Not sure if they are shrunk or not.

Have a great one...Randy.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Congrats....great story!  Awesome pics!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
That was well worth the wait. I am awestruck...what a story, and great pictures! Prodigal Son, (comes with own fatted calf), welcome!
Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Awesome story and an awesome bear! what are the specs on the bow? Congrats
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
THAT'S a bear hunt!  Well-earned congratulations!    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Great story and super pics. Man, you just have to love bear hunting.

Thanks for sharing.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Great story, great ending, super bear!  Thanks for letting us all in vicariously!
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Once again you have put together one of the best hunts and stories to ever grace the pages of the Pow Wow....just awesome bro!!

Also,One of the best bear "hero pix" I've ever seen you are the man!!

Hopefully next fall I'll be back in MT and we will defiantly get together this time!!

Is that one of the bows you made for yourself?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Congratulations Randy!!! Great hunt and a beautiful bear! Thanks for sharing this with us!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Well done mate... well done! Thanks for the pics and story too.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Great story Randy and awesome pic's! Thanks for sharing and congrats on a fine bear.

What kind of bow you shootin?

Chris

Offline oldway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Awesome Bear and story Randy,Congrats.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Randy that's an awesome hunt.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Congrats!!  Thanks for sharin, love them bear stories.   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I don't think it can get any better than that!

Congratulations!

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Randy,
Good to see you back on Tradgang.  Congratulations again on the bear.

Walt
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©