INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: My first Turkey with a bow!  (Read 5202 times)

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
My first Turkey with a bow!
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »
I am about to get a little long winded with my story... so if all you want to see are the pics, they are at the bottom  :D

What a fantastic morning! It was opening morning of Michigan's Turkey season. A nearly full moon shone in the sky when I pulled up to my hunting grounds... the 10 acres behind my dad's place. The night before I had him set up his Double Bull blind at the back of his property. I stopped in to say Hi and thank him for setting up the blind and then began the rather short walk back to the blind.

About half way to the blind, with just the slightest predawn light breaking the horizon, I heard the first gobble. I knew that the Turkeys roosted in those woods but was not expecting them to be so close to my setup... I guess I'll take luck over skill any day!! As I continued the rest of the way to the blind the Toms continued to gobble on the roost... this could be a good morning  :D  When I reached the blind I set up 2 hen decoys placing them on the North side of the blind... the Turkeys were roosting just to the south of me and I wanted to them to pass by me to get to the decoys.

I got settled in the blind... still listening to the constant gobbling, grinning from ear to ear. I  pulled out the slate call and popped a diaphragm call in my mouth. I began to make a few soft tree yelps to let the birds know that I was there. When it got light out I flapped my hand on the leaves below me to try to simulate a hen flying down from the roost. Some clucks, purrs, and yelping after that had a Tom gobbling hard and getting closer with each gobble!

I grabbed my bow, a 1957 Bear Kodiak Special  tipped with a Wensel Woodsman Broadhead, and got ready. I did not have to wait long before I saw a bright white, blue, and crimson red head top a rise 20 yards to my south. He broke into full strut and proceeded to make himself look like king of the forest for the next couple of minutes! I kept waiting, I wanted him to be really close and knew that he should continue towards the decoys if not spooked. He kept breaking out of strut and staring at the decoys and then popping right back into full strut again... each time getting a little closer to the decoys, and me.

When he finally hit the opening I was waiting for, at all of 8 yards, I slowly came to full draw. I bore down on a feather at the base of his wing and the string slipped from my fingers.

The hit was solid but he took off running. I grabbed the bow and nearly jumped out the window of the blind! Now the fun was about to begin...

Behind my set up to the East drops down a steep hill to a swamp. The Turkey angled down the hill with me hot on his tail. He ducked into the far side of a blow down right at the base of the swamp. I swung around the north side looking for an opening to sneak another arrow through, he ran to the south so I ran south, then he ran north so I ran north, then south, then north again! (That had to be a sight, a 200 lb grown man playing pickle with a turkey, LOL!!) He finally had enough and crashed through the water and brush out into the swamp, I let an arrow fly but shot right over his back. Not wanting to lose sight of the bird I took off after him... my first running steps into the swamp brought me over my thighs in water and muck... and I lost site of the bird when I dropped that low. Forcing my way out I sloshed farther into the swamp, running as fast as one can in water, brush, and muck!

Now I had no idea where he was and this swamp is thick. I got to a little higher ground hoping to see something... and saw nothing. I was starting to feel really hopeless. I had a meeting for work at 9:30 AM that I could not miss so I reluctantly sloshed my way back to the blind. I packed up all my gear and headed home.

I was back to the swamp by 11:00 AM... wearing chest waders this time. I knew that I would be looking for a needle in a haystack. I started slowly walking through the shoulder high brush scanning left and right, looking for anything out of the ordinary and picking apart every really thick area.  After about 30 minutes of searching I looked to my right and saw the fletching of my arrow through the brush from about 5 yards away... I prayed, Lord please let there be a Turkey still attached to that arrow... I slowly made my way to the arrow and found that it was indeed still attached to my Turkey!!!

I found the Turkey about 30 yards past the last point that I saw him when I sank in the swamp. When I ran across the swamp hoping to see him earlier I must have run right past him at no more that 5-10 yards and did not even see him in all that thick brush. He had crawled up under some thick stuff in about a foot of water! If that arrow were not still attached to him I don't think that I would have ever found him unless I stepped right on him.

The Tom ended up having an 11 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, and tipped the scales at 25 lbs... I could not be happier for my first bow killed turkey!!

I feel so blessed to have taken such a beautiful animal on such a beautiful morning, God's creation  never ceases to amaze me. I do feel a little bad though, my turkey hunting season ended way to soon!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first Turkey with a bow!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »
nice job!!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
Nicely done.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:09:00 AM »
Congradulations!! Nice story, I would have liked to watch the recovery. Hap

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
GREAT!!! Lord's good.
IBEP Instructor

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »
Awesome and congrats...I'll be on that side of the state in less than a month doing the same.  I have the late private ground hunt, starts May 5th, can't wait.  

I'm just getting my order into Cabela's tomorrow for some last minute things.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »
Great story Kevin.I am glad for you that you were able to recover it!!!Beautiful bird!Thats cool that you killed your MI gobbler with a 57 Kodiak as well.Doesnt get much better than that.Congrats

I will be hunting birds in central MI. this coming weekend.Im really looking forward to it after the long winter.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
great story and excellent pictures. Very happy for you.

Cary

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »
Congratulations! That's a really nice looking bird! Well done!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 05:19:00 AM »
Awesome!!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »
Congrats!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 05:24:00 AM »
Very nice   :thumbsup:  Good story and pics to go with it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »
Awesome Kevin!  :thumbsup:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Kevin, Congrats again buddy!!  Thanks for giving me the call when it all went down.  That made it a really long day at work!!   :banghead:  

Your going to have a hard time topping your first bird in years to come!!  

Now where did you say your dad's property is??   :biglaugh:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
Kevin, That bird is as pretty as that bow! Congrats on your hunt,
Shell ( on hubby's login)
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Sweet!

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your story.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Nice bird buddy,, Looks like he has some nice hooks,  The special strikes again,,LOL,,JB
TGMM

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
Congratulations! Excellent! Great Story! Well Done!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
AWESOME!!! Nice work Bud!   :thumbsup:  

Must have been all that shooting practice with the bunnies!   :jumper:  

Congrats a great bird, with a great bow...Ya made Mr. Bear proud but I'm sure he got a chuckle watching you try to get out of that DB through the window.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©