INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pigs ARE dangerous game  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Pigs ARE dangerous game
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »

While turkey hunting last weekend I had a "interesting" experience.  So that you know, I have killed many wild pigs over my bowhunting career and have never considered them "dangerous game". They are one of my favorite hunts but I thought that putting them in the dangerous game section of Tradgang was kinda silly.  Anyway, on my turkey hunt I happened to run into a pretty big boar, he literally walked up on me. He approached the trail I was set up on for my turkey hunt and was quartering toward me and moving at a steady pace.  He was about to bust me so I took the shot hitting him about mid body with the arrow passing through the ham.  My hunting buddy Michael (who was turkey calling for me) happend to have his dog with him and he went to get him in the truck to help track the animal.  We got on the trial and it only took Luke the lab about 50 yards to find the pig holed up in some thick bushes.  The pig was in a standoff with Luke and I went around to get behind the bush and get another shot into the big boar.  Suddenly, the wild pig came busting out of the brush at me at a full run with hate in his eyes.  I did the first thing I thought to do....run like hell.  The pig chased me, and Luke chased the pig.  After about 25 yards, Luke caught the pig before he got to me and chomped down on him stopping the train and getting the pig to turn on him and stop chasing me.  Micheal called Luke off and I managed to get another arrow into the boar dropping him fairly quickly.
This boar turned out to have some of the biggest choppers I have seen and I was very fortunate not to have been seriously hurt.  I'll be a little more careful in the future and I sure want to thank my new best friend Luke the lab!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pigs ARE dangerous game
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
Wow, talk about fast and furious! First thought is grab an arrow and play Bullfighter!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Pablo,
Congrats on the first kill(s) of '08. Maybe this won't be a slow stinkin'year like last year and you, me and Wade will go back to whakin'em every time we go hunting like the good ole days.Im hoping you fixed our mojo along with yours. I'll let you know after my turkey hunt this weekend. And quit being such a wuss about one little charging piggy. If I'd been there I would have pulled my K-bar and gone hand-to-well..tusk with him and dispatched him like a man. Thats what you get for giong hunting without me.

Bonner

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
Wow, pretty exciting turkey hunt aye'? Well done Luke, he deserves an atta boy!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
Wow....sounds like you had quite the experience!  :D  I have a huge respect for pigs! I think they can be a lot more dangerous than people make out!
That's a real nice pig tho!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
Cool hunt.

You just have to love a lab.

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
I hope you bought that dog a nice steak!

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
I know a guy that was charged by a 375 lb boar while deer hunting, 30 06 to the head made him stop pretty quick, made keep an eye out while bowhunting
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
Wow that will wake you up in the morning! Thanks for sharing!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Better than cup of coffee for sure.. :)   :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Congratulations  :thumbsup:

I am glad your okay and I bet Luke loved every second of it.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I read a hunting story years ago, a father and son team hunting pigs. After their first go around with a wounded hog they made a pact to never shoot another one unless there be a climbable tree within 10 yds. Even a mesquite might be climbable in your situation, uh. Congrats on the big hog. Glad you didn't get hurt. My dog would probably be leading the "train".
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Great story!!  Labs are good friends to have!!  I love going to the woods with mine!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
I used to hear livin in MT "If you ain't never been bucked offa horse, ya ain't rode much!"

Wonder if pig hunting might have it's own mantra of "If'n ya ain't been charged by a wild hog, ya ain't lived right..." ?

Sounded pretty intense there for a few minutes...  :)   Can ya imagine what it must be like in Africa goiin in the bush for a wounded lion or buff?   :eek:    :scared:  Crikey!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
One got Ken Moody last year. I have only had 3 hogs run at me out of the tons I have shot BUT those 3 really got my attention.....Thanks for the story

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments.  This really was a eye opening experience.  Bonner, anyone but you and I might not take the "K-Bar" comment seriously but I guess that's what they teach you Marines in boot camp.  Snag, I NEVER even considered anything but RUN!  On a positive note, Michael said it was the fastest he'd ever seen someone over 40 move and I never dropped my bow!  And yes, Luke is on my Christmas list from now on.  After the second shot and the pig tipped over, Luke jumped on the pig and pretty much "tenderized him".
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Good dawg!  Yeah, I'm my flight instincts would have kicked in too. Probably would have left a trail behind too, if you know what I mean!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
That is real good stuff Pablo.........!  Maybe that Marine can arrow a Turkey this weekend and the Monkey will be gone for awhile.  Real good pic too....
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
call em' mans best friend for a reason!
-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
I've only hunted hogs twice (in TX) but experiences on both trips taught me not to underestimate them.  As far as I saw, hogs truly are dangerous game, particularly if you are bowhunting on foot...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©