INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wensel "Pig-Gig" Report  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Wensel "Pig-Gig" Report
« on: February 06, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Barry called me last night with good news from "Pig-Gig" #1 at the Vinson Ranch.  The guys in camp have taken 20 hogs the first two days!  He said that many, if not most, were shot on the ground by spot and stalk.  Needless to say he was really pumped!  I can't wait to head down there on the 16th.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel "Pig-Gig" Report
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Awww....somebody's tellin  a fib, he just told me 15 or 16   :-)

He said it was 19 degrees this morning!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Where is this all happening?
j yenney

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
He probably gave you a low number just to make you feel bad Biggie:^) He did tell me 20 but Uncle Barry's memory could be slipping - old age and all, HA!  Barry said the cold temps and wild wings just about drove him out of his tree, which I couldn't fathom since he left an Iowa winter for the "warm" south:^) Musta been wearing his Sumo suit again!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
The ranch is northeast of Albany TX.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
Good deal...I already have an "in" for next year!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
I leave on Fri. at noon for week 2. This is my first javilina/hog hunt. Really hopeing to get a crack at a javilina. will update you when i get back.

doug77

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Doug, you're hunting the Chapparosa 30 miles below Uvalde and approx. 9 west of La Pryor.  Access is good throw a series of gates from the main highway.  I took both my javies there while walking the dirt/sand roads("scenderos")looking for game.  If you're lucky you may be able to ease over a hump in the road and spot groups feeding your way. With the wind right you can back off the road 10-15 yards and wait for them to pass.  If they see you move they usually do one of three things; run like heck, bristle their backsides and pop their teeth, or put their heads back down to continue feeding.  I missed one one day but was able to call him back out into the open with a pig distress call.  The hide's still in my freezer!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
I have a bunch of these mounted and they're cool looking critters..they LOOK meaner than they really are but they're made for bowhunters that's for sure!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
the truck is all packed and rerady to go, only 19 more hours and i will be on the road hopefuly to get a chance at a javilina or two. the wife thinks i brought to much stuff with. any more advice on hunting the javilina's.

doug77

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
Oh yeah, one more piece of advice; once you get one down keep your hands, clothes, etc. OFF the scent gland found on their rump!!!!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
I've had good success using a varmint call (distressed rabbit) on the little devils. Keep one in your pocket. If they are in sight and perhaps moving away, give it a try. They are curious and very protective of their young. Have fun and good luck.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
HHey! How about some pics?!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

I took this one on the 1st hunt, before it was named the Pig-Gig. We (with the Wensels) were scouting for some good ranches.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Just got back from hunt #1 last nite, ran out of room to bring hogs home, all in all I think the final count was about 25 hogs or so. I'm headed to church now but will try and load some pictures this afternoon. This was my third pig-gig and best so far.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
here are a couple of pictures, I am no typist so I won't go into some long story, suffice it to say we had a great time came home with plenty of pork and will be back !
PBS regular Member,
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Good deal Thomas!  Can I post these on BrothersoftheBow.com?  Talked to Gene last night - I'm heading down on the 16th!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Cedar Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Great pics Thomas!  Congrats!
"If there aint no trout streams and whitetails in heaven, I'm not so sure I wanna go."  A Good Friend

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
please use them as you like ! I can e-mail them to you if that would be better ?
Take care
T
PBS regular Member,

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Thomas great pics...yall done good!!! thanks for sharing...Marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©