INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)  (Read 94694 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)
« Reply #1200 on: February 18, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
I just like to PUSH!!!!! Although I'll NEVER be as good as Shawn.....I'm TRYIN'!!!!! To be stomping and crawling through the brush and then hearing the standers starting to yell BUNNY!!!!! BUNNY!!!!! BUNNY!!!!! Is equal to any "rush" I've ever had while deer hunting!!!!! My Brother Ken (adkmountainken) did pretty good bustin' the brush for his first time.He dove right in there,but I think we need to get him back next year(and the year after,and after,and after.....) for further "training" what do you think Shawn?????

I only made Saturdays hunt and I left right after lunch Sunday because I had to work last night.Probly just as well though.....we had a real rainy crappy night. I almost diddn't make it at all!!!!! I got the dates screwed up and I sent Shawn a PM telling him I might not be able to come.Well things worked out,and when I got up there Saturday morning,Shawn gave me a big old "Bear Hug" and said,"I'm glad you could make it,you had me worried.I was ready to drive down there and drag you back!!!!!" He would have done it too,That's just the kind of guy he is!!!!! Shawn does not want ANYONE to miss this hunt!!!!!

All I know is I sure hope Heaven has lots of bunnies.....I can't think of a better way to spend Eternity   :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1201 on: February 18, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Chuck, ya better start dancing for next year, just in case. Great times and great people. I was right close by when Jeremy hit that bunny and was pulling him out and he took off. while he was doing that I nailed one from 15 yards and the arrow went thru, hit a tree and bounced out. I never did find him, but Brent looked and trailed him a long ways to no avail. The stuff we are hunting in is so thick ya have to shoot laying down sometimes or with the bow laying flat or from your knees. I missed a gimme at 3 ft, I watched 6 buunies come thru a hugh cluster of downed oak tree with tops still all leafed out. It took me 10 minutes to get to the spot I saw them come thru. I just got there and here come another bunny. He stopped at 10 yards, but I knoew he had no clue I was there than he bounced up to 3ft., I drew slow but he sqaw me but only hopped about to more ft. I hit anchor and shot right over his head, I only had to take one step and pick up my arrow. I guess that is why it is called hunting and not shooting!!  :knothead:  OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1202 on: February 18, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
WOW is an understatement for sure this is an awesome hunt with awesome people!!!!!!

Thanks to Shawn and his faimly his wife and daughters deserve a very big thanks for all they did in the kitchen...very well done THANK YOU...itwas also very nice to see Pop Leonard there again and in good spirts Thanks again

I'll hafta tell stories later I don't have that much time to type while I work,lets just say that 17th bunny and the image of the entire thing will be etched into my memory forever....I'm sure everybody has those kinda moments in their hunts that are just locked in,it was a very special one indeed I'm so glad I was standing right there to see the whole thing pan out esspecially after calling the whole thing not 5 minute's before itv went down OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1203 on: February 18, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Shawn, I was wondering where that second blood trail came from!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1204 on: February 18, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Swampbuck, your dog is awesome!!!!! He caught my second bunny after I shot out his front leg while he was on the run.I couldnt believe that sucker kept running.The first one I shot was out of that scary ravine where "HERDS" and "FLOCKS" of wabbits ran in front of everyone.I pinned him to the ground with a quartering away shot from about 15 yards downhill. He gave up the ghost pretty quickly.The then I got assaulted, well I nearly did by a thunder chicken.He soared by my head by about 6".The coolest thing I remember is the sound of arrows rattling off branches and hearing everyone holler and laugh everytime one came near and was hit or missed.I even saw 3 of them running in a tight circle  for a few minutes until someone flung an arrow their way.My cousins are new to this game and they both had the time of their lives.They couldnt believe how genuine and friendly everyone was.Thanks Shawn and family and everyone involved.Now the wait begins, damn its gonna be a long wait. OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1205 on: February 18, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Somebody told me he caught a bunnie but I didn,t see it I thought maybe it was Emma,coulda been Sonny I'm sure he woulda just killed it and then left it to search for the next chase.Kinda wish he'd bring them out to me LOL but I don't see that happening

Offline Keith Deters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1206 on: February 18, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
As always, this was a fantastic weekend.  Shawn, you and all of your family are such gracious host for all of us, thanks just doesn't do justice.  

I had a blast seeing everyone again and meeting all the new faces.  The hunting was unbelieveable.  I don't live too far away, but I'm lucky to be able to find a rabbit around my place.  Shawn's got so many bunnies and such great rabbitat around that airport, you just have to see it to believe it.

It's great to see all the kids getting out there.  They're a tough bunch, hunting hard all day for 2 days.  They actually pushed harder than the adults, because they were out hunting while we were stuffing our faces.  What a nice bunch of kids too,  A pleasure being around.

No rabbits for me this year, but I had more shots than ever. I do love to hear sounds of rabbit hunting...  "BUNNNNNIEEE.... OUT FRONT ....... TO YOU..... ON THE RIGHT...... SHOOOOOOOT ...SHOOOOOOTTTT ..... BACK AT YOUUU ....SHHOOOOOTTTT"  followed by the faint swishing of arrows  and the clanks of shafts bouncing from stick to stick, followed by the laughter and sometimes other choice words, as the bunny goes off to entertain the next group of hunters, hopefully soon to return, before ending in an OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.  

Less than a year to go.....

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1207 on: February 18, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
I'm heading back to work tonite...I don't mind missing those running shots...4 times...but I can't stand when I miss a bunny...sitting 7 yds in front of me.

Bamboo (Mike Robin) and I were on drive when Mike yelled.."Skipper coming at ya..". Here comes this bunny...loping...he stops behind a log. When he started to ease out I was at full draw waiting...with that little smirk on my face like...your dead..

With my good friend Bamboo watching, I promptly sent the arrow inches over his back.  :eek:  
I threw myself on the ground, cursed, yelled and heard Mike laughing at me. The one consolation, Curtis said..."Your form was perfect..heh hehee"

One drive there were 5 of us standing pretty close together...Bamboo just finished telling everyone last year the rabbit just busted through like a fullback...and never looked back.
Well...same thing this year...rabbit #1 comes and sees us...I swear he laid his ears back, tucked his head and he here he comes....Busting through among the flying arrows...he made it.
Rabbit #2 wasn't far behind...same scenario.

When the dust cleared, we found Woodchucker hiding behind a tree...behind us. He learned a valuable lesson that afternoon...Never stand behind crazed rabbit hunting bowhunters.

For Curts sake, I hope no one filmed this one...
Curt is standing in a small opening yelling something up to us...of course we ignored him. There were standers just below him...As he stood there "looking lost" this very large bunny comes charging out, maybe 3 feet behind him and by the time Curt turned around, it was too late. The rabbit was skewered by Damien...directly between the eyes.

Curt...being the gentlemen later commented he let the bunny pass so Damien could get the shot...  :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:  

The Classic...Briarback Mtn...Little Mikey pulls out his cell phone!! Calls his wife in the Bronx!!  :scared:   "Yes Dear...everyone is picking on me...No honey...I'm not crying or upset." "Right...I'll make sure to check on the cabin...vacume, check on the toilets..OK Snookums."  "Love you..What?...Sure..No problem..I'll pick up Chinese food on the way home so you don't have to cook.."   :help:  

Fellas...ya just can't make this sh$%^ up! I'll be adding more "truth" as more people post....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1208 on: February 18, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
A big thanks to Shawn and his family for having us    :notworthy:    :notworthy:  I also met alot of other great people ( Shawn of course , Curt , david, Tom , mikey, jeremy ,damon and a whole bunch of others)what a blast :0) Also got to see some other friends I haven't seen in a while. We had lots of shots and a whole lot of fun all around . Thanks to everyone who made this such a great hunt :0)   Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Were back, we stayed till this morning. We all had a blast hunting and talking with everyone there. I have some pics to post the first one is Curt with his hard earned bunny, I think he was as proud of this bunny as he would be with any deer he has taken.

The next is Shawn's, He is such a great organizer and a blast to hunt with.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1210 on: February 18, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Great pics Jim. I already posted all I have, if anyone wants copies, let me know and I can email them to you.
Im looking forward to the rush once ebveryone gets home...not used to living vicariously through others I guess.  :D  Tic toc....
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1211 on: February 18, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
I have some more to post, one of Mark and me with the joint kill. Mark said to me you killed it but he should get 99% of the credit because he slowed it down enough so even a guy like me could make a good shot on it. The second pic is me with the same bunny showing off the eye hit.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1212 on: February 18, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
Man, I am scary!! I agree with Jamie, wait until this evening. It should be awesome, the stories and pictures will be nothing short of amazing!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1213 on: February 18, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Hey Shawn I sent ya that pic of Curt on your phone so you'd have my number as well

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1214 on: February 18, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Shawn, your only scary to the bunnies. I have a couple more, Bob's bunny and me and the family with our favorite guy Mr pink himself Mike

Offline Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1215 on: February 18, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
She's HEE-Yurrrrr!
When the oak is felled the whole forest echoes with its fall, but a hundred acorns are sown in silence by an unnoticed breeze. -Thomas Carlyle, historian and essayist (1795-1881)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1216 on: February 18, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I'll bet she's whipped, we were from the trip alone. The kids and I had a chance to Kathy before we left this morning, she said that we may never get a chance to see her again because she doesn't get this way much, I'm hoping we do. It was great to meet and hunt with her.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1217 on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I am sure some of us will see Kathy again, she bounces around to some shoots, so we will see here again!! Jim and I were standing near each other on the second to the last push of the day. Jim must have seen 6-8 rabbits on the push and I had seen five or six, I was heading acrossed some downed oaks and down I went. My shin slid in betweem some big limbs, ya want to see the knot on my leg. Right after that I missed that bunny at 3ft. Jim came out of there with abig smile and said "I have never seen anything like that, there were bunnies everywhere!" It was like that for two straight days! Killy I know you must be beat, but we need some pics and some story telling before bed tonight, you too Curt!! OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1218 on: February 18, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
That push was something else, it was the first time I stood on watch all weekend, I would much rather drive just because I like to move around and make things happen. I was standing there a whopping ten seconds when I started seeing bunnies that Shawn had moved out just going in a few yards by a big downed tree. Shawn the 6-8 bunnies I saw was a conservative count of what I thought to be different ones in all I saw about 15 but some were probably the same ones, I was seeing over again. I took this pic of some of the sumac that was in a patch out in the field by this spot, the bunnies had it chewed to pieces the sign everywhere was incredible.

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1219 on: February 18, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

Here are the pictures of shawns ink

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©