INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)  (Read 94631 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)
« Reply #1300 on: February 19, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Izzy, the order has changed. I let Cindy help with the wood as she did not like the other combo. It is now Purpleheart and Leopardwood riser with action boo cored limbs and curly bubinga veneers. OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1301 on: February 19, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
shawn....i will mail out the michigan st judes proceeds to you tomorrow...thanks..steve
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1302 on: February 19, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Come on Curt, post some more stuff and your story! OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1303 on: February 19, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
first drive we had plenty of rabbits moving. Mike Robin and I busting through about 15 yds apart, Scott trailing a short distance behind in case the rabbits backtrack.

After tripping over vines and getting my face slapped with thorny limbs, I was resting when Bunny out front was yelled. I knew Dave and Killy were standing somewhere in front...not sure how far. Here comes this rabbit..by me and past Mike...right to Scott. One shot..one dead rabbit.

Then I look up to see this Boone and Crockett Rabbit just sitting there about 10 yds away and Ihave no shot through the thick stuff. I yelled to Mike to set up and I'll try to move the rabbit his way. I see Mike kneeling and clearing a path....I made my move and the rabbit made his.

The rabbit was on a dead path to Mike ...I yelled he was coming...at maybe 2 ft the rabbit did a 90 degree and bolted. Seconds later another rabbit came loping by and Mike took some hair off him. Real tough shooting in that thick stuff.....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1304 on: February 19, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I was working on pics but Clark came in and chatted and turned on the TV and the food arrived and now he's snoring and I worked a LONG day today so I am gonna goof off and go to bed early.  :)  

I write and edit best in an empty house with an old movie to ignore. Ain't happening here.  :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1305 on: February 19, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
The second push, which I call the Honey-Hole was awesome, I saw at least 15 bunnies on that push. I heard over 50 shots taken as I was counting everyone, than towards the end the shouting of "BUNNY" and the laughing and swearing drowned evrything else out. It is amazing how eventhe hardest of hard turn into kids again at this hunt. We mat get bloodied and we may get tired but it is well worth it in the end!! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Tim Kosteczko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1306 on: February 19, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
got back to school and back to my computer had a lot to catch up on. I would like to say once again what an awesome weekend, not enough thanks can be said to shawn, his wife and daughter, simply amazing to be able to pull a weekend like that off, and keep a smile on your face the entire time. sure hope you get down this year to shoot some fish with us. lots of stories and memories from this weekend that will stay with everyone for a long time.

Best site i saw all weekend was damon's head shot on his bunny:
Shawn and i had just finished a tiny push along the one stream when we hear the ever present "BUNNY" call, we turn to see a bunny 'haulin' down the hill, arrows fill the sky to the point they "block out the sun", snow and ice fly up as they hit the ground, missing their mark by inches, rabbit continues all out.

I turn my eyes about 50-60 yards downhill, see Damon turn and ready himself. bunny reaches the end of the "Gauntlet" just one man to beat and it is safety at last.

Damon stands his ground, 40 yards ...30...20...10...5... im thinkin ok shoot already. i loose sight of the bunny as it goes into the taller grass. damon draws and releases, i fear he is gonna shoot his foot.

in one motion he shoots bends over and raises his head shot bunny and a load roar fills the February air.
I couldnt help but laugh it was an awesome 10 seconds lol

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1307 on: February 20, 2008, 05:24:00 AM »
Sorry guys,between work,kids,and now I'm sick as a dog it's been tough! Hopefully tonight    "[dntthnk]"
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1308 on: February 20, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »
When we did the drive on the end of Brier back mountain, I told the kids to stay up top because of the amount of rose bushes that were there. Well I get set up ready to get started and who is by me, Joe. I thought oh well maybe it will be a good learning experience for him. As the drive progressed I noticed that all the kids were involved and plowing through like veteran hunters. This was the first time Aram's daughter Una made the trip, she plowed through like a pro and never complained, this is a pic of her and Becky.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1309 on: February 20, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »
The kids were great and Tim is right, what a shot. It was a really awesome as ya did not need to see what was going on, ya could hear it in the air, arrows whistling, the twang of bowstrings and than you definitely new if someone connected as Tim said the loud roar of the crowd was awesome!!  Aram ad Jim you can be proud of those two!! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1310 on: February 20, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »
yes, yes, itwas great seeing the young blood hunt and shoot. the furure looks bright for trad archery with that group and what shooters they are!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1311 on: February 20, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
I think Dave has some video of the first drive. When I busted through to Dave and Killy, he stated he was watching rabbits criss cross out in front of him...Scott killed on and 2 escaped unharmed.

Dave..you know that gel stuff you put on your feet to prevent blisters....New Foot...I'm buying
you some for your head next year. We'll tape it on and you can bust through brush and never worry about bleeding again. Your head looked like my wifes legs after she shaves....ooops.

How bad is Briarback Mtn...Curtis took a 30 yd shot downhill at a rabbit...I asked him if he was going to retrieve his arrow...after thinking about it, he figured it was best to leave it there. Luckily a driver came by, found it and returned it.

How about Mark Fedrizzi...misses bowseason due to back surgery...comes up Sunday for the hunt and nails a rabbit..  :thumbsup:    ;)  I said nice shot....Scott called it luck...  :eek:  

Next to last drive Sunday, Aram hammers this rabbit with a Judo at 3 ft...the rabbit gets between us, under a blowdown...squirms out loses the arrow and bolts past 4 other hunters. He made the field unscathed and was still running when we left.

If anyone saw us trying to dig out 2 rabbits from some frozen culvert pipes...they would call the boys with the white coats. One rabbit, ran into one end, another rabbit, that was hit ran into the other. We gave it our best shot but the pipe was just too long and are arms too short...
Even the limbs we rammed in there didn't work.
Quite a few rabbits made it to the holes...they must have known we were coming..
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1312 on: February 20, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Shawn....put me down...I'll try my best to make it next year.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1313 on: February 20, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
I have 2 Youth arrows here at my shop. Ciccone dropped them off to me before I left Shawns, I forgot them in my truck.

The wooden arrow has a blunt, aluminum a small adder pt. If the owners don't need or want them back, I would like to keep them here in my shop as Team Pink memorabilia....Pic below....

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1314 on: February 20, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Oh Yeah.....gotta slow down....

Thanks for the call Curt....really cool to get your bunny in that fashion....the waiting made it that much sweeter  ;)
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1315 on: February 20, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
These stories are making me really resent pinched nerves....  :rolleyes:  
I find myself smiling as I read, as I know all these places, and most of the people. It is good that I can merge last years experience with this years.
Next year, I will not be on the sidelines. Heck I might even be a good enough shot to hit a rabbit by then.  :D  
Great hunt, great people and one of the best times I have ever had with a bow in my hands.
Terry...you would be hooked for life.  :saywhat:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1316 on: February 20, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Here are the last of my pics.....here is Justin on one of the last drives of the hunt....

Drivers on the last push of a wonderful weekend....

And this photo is pretty telling of what the entire weekend is like, we had just finished the last push, I had walked up to the house when I heard a clang.  I turned around to find this group to include Justin, Hunter, Shawn, Curt and Chris taking a few final shots at the steel target......it brought a smile to my face to  them still shooting knowing that the hunt was over....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1317 on: February 20, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
"Stompers & Standers"

Every year I head to Selkirk for the "Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt".....THIS,is the highlight of my year and I look forward to it with the anticipation of a kid waiting for Christmas. It is a great Time,and a chance to see old friends,and meet new ones.

When the hunt begins,the "HuntMaster" Shawn,huddles everyone together and explians how a piece of cover will be pushed. Then,the group is devided into 2 groups, "stompers" and "standers". Like a schoolyard Captain before a game,Shawn hand picks his team,"The Stompers". It takes a special type of Bunny Hunter to be a "stomper",and Shawn picks them very carefully.You must jump headlong into the thickest,thorniest,nastiest with total abandon for hide and hair.(especialy your HIDE)You just "bulldoze" through cover that everyone else walks around.This year was my 4th year at the Bunny Hunt.My fisrt year on the first push I raised my hand....."I'll push".....I was assigned as a stander. I was a stander,Oh Well.....But it was a blast anyway.On the last push through "Rabbit Valley",Shawn called out "woodchucker!!!!!" (did I really just hear that?????) After we pushed "Rabbit Valley" and we were back at the house,Shawn stopped me and said "you did really good in there". I was so proud I was bustin' my buttons!!!!! The next year I was on almost every push,and last year too. However.....I realized that Shawn just doesn't need "Stompers" He also needs "Standers" who know the area andact as guides to help place the newcomers in position to get shots at bunnies. It doesn't really mater which side I'm on,we all have fun.But when it's time for Shawn to pick his "team" and I hear him hollar "woodchucker!!!!!" I just smile.....I'm one of "Shawn's Stompers"    :bigsmyl:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1318 on: February 20, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
I hear what your saying Chuck bout the "Kid at Christmas thing".I cant believe I almost missed it for a hunt I had booked.Ill be sure to plan around it as long as it continues.This event is legendary and now for me its even better that I get to share it with my son and 2 cousins who I cherish more than anything.And itll only get better when my son Nathan Zane is old enough to join the crew.Ohhhh Yeahhhhh!!!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1319 on: February 20, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Well. I am hoping Curt gets better as he has more pics. I am sure and Killy takes photos like no other and I cannot wait to hear her tales!! The weekend was awesome and when we think it cannot get any better or go any smoother, we pull it off again!! Chuck is right, it gets a bit easier every year as far as setting guys and such as people start to know what they are doing!! Thanks again to everyone. I ordered the bow, from RER. It changed again but here is the final results. I got a 60" T/D with a Purpleheart and Leopardwood riser, actionboo limbcores and waterfall bubinga veneers or curly bubinga. I orderd it with a high wrist and a grip like my Arroyo, now the wait!! It should be a pretty stick!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©