INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)  (Read 94330 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)
« Reply #1400 on: February 22, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Morning    :scared:  shot a carp that pulled us right around and she didn't dump us LOL not bad for her first time with dad standing.I'm sure there will be something up perhaps around May for a June or July carp shoot
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1401 on: February 22, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
A carp shoot would be fun   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1402 on: February 22, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
Jim we can do a mini sometime around here I've got  a flat bottom and we can go down to Russel station.Season doesn't open till May somethin I'll hafta look

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1403 on: February 22, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Y'all leave my hat and my sheep out of this.    :biglaugh:  
There are two pictures out there I would like to get. Both have my friend Ken in them. In one Ken and I pose as mountainmen from across continents. ( I think Kingstaken might have taken that one and his pictures are lost   :(   No big deal but if anyone else has one...)
The other picture is of  Ken and my daughter, Una. That's a special one. Curt if you could post it I'll tell my take on the story and let Ken fill in the details.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1404 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Aran, the picture I took of you and Ken is one of the one's I really really really truly honestly tried to save.  :knothead:
Y'all just have to do it again next year. :pray:
Jim
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1405 on: February 22, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
"That bunny would be dead just about 10 out of 10 if I draw on him while sitting"

LOL Curt does that mean your gonna do 10 in a row on the steel arrow muncher next yr ?

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1406 on: February 22, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
ATTENTION!!!!! ATTENTION!!!!!

For all concerned.....

I have NOT done any Dancin' since before the Bunny Hunt!!!!! I have ABSOLUTELY (absolute power?????) nothing to with this blanket of white fluff that is currantly covering the NorthEast!!!!!

(Hmmmmm.....you don't suppose I had a few inches on "backorder" that I forgot about do you?????   :rolleyes:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1407 on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
After our first push through the "Island of Trees" We pushed from the old foundation to the field.Shawn asked me to try and help place the kids in the brush along the field edge.

It was so fun watching the bunch of boys that I was "Guiding" I will not name names LOL,I will only state that they have learned well by watching us older folks.....   :rolleyes:

I would place them in the brush along the field edge,and a short time later they would soon start to gravitate out into the field.They would all be in a gaggle,compareing equipment (I wonder where they learned THAT from LOL) "That's a cool bow,what kind is it?" "These are my points","Hey that's a Judo point","That's a Blunt","I've got a knife","That's cool,Ive got one too","Look at my knife".....

I would let them huddle for a while,then shoo them back into the bushes. I had Brother Ken watching the ditch,and I was talking to Drew,when this young man starts to make his way out of the brush.He was EXTREMELY tangled,so I suggested he take off his quiver and toss it out to me,which he does.He is still quite tangled and he's having problems,so I ask him if he would like me to hold his bow for him. He hands me his bow,then he gets down on his hands and knees and starts to crawl out.I looked behind him and said to Drew,"Here comes a bunny!!!!!" The bunny ran right beside this kid,saw Drew and I,did a HARD right,and ran over this young fella's hands literaly right in front of his nose LOL!!!!! The kid looked at me with his eyes as big as baseballs and said,"DID YOU SEE THAT BUNNY?????" To which I replied,"I sure did!!!!! Why didn't you shoot him?????

The Young Hunter's answer....."YOU'RE HOLDING MY BOW!!!!!"

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!   :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1408 on: February 22, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
LOL Chuck I remember that, poor kid couldn,t shoot cause why hahahaha    "[dntthnk]"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1409 on: February 22, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Tom a mini carp shoot is good for me. Are you going out for the last hurrah this weekend?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1410 on: February 22, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Wrong thread, Jim! We're still doing the bunny hunt here!

*Ahem!*
So, Shawn and I go to get a license. We went to Dick's, where we were served with all the enthusiasm that 175 pounds of ignorance behind the counter could muster. He even informed us that the season was over.

I guess we are all poachers.   :(  

Fifty-five bucks later I had the necessary papers and we left. WHAT? NO SHOPPING? Maybe the Dick's in NY would have regionally distinctive wares! treasures undreamt of outside Albany!
Prolly not. We got lunch. We checked me into the motel. Shawn was nonstop talking, which made it hard for me to keep track of where we were travelling, so I gave up and listened. We went to his dad's house and I met Honey, the Golden Retreiver. I heard the histories of all his neighbors and hunting buddies as Shawn drove me to Five Rivers Wildlife Refuge. I met a dozen deer.

He took me on a short tour of Albany, which was full of neat old architecture. I took pics out the window, and noted where to go should I wish to visit the museum in the morning. Shawn stopped on the highway ramp! Around here you would be killed for such affrontery, but there was no traffic here...I rushed anyway, I couldn't imagine that there could be no traffic. So, what was this, anyway?

This is the State Education Building.

See?

I loved the light we were getting, golden-rose, just like a Jimi Hendrix song. The State Armory was glowing in ruddy red glory.

I revel in the little stuff that makes this more than just a building.

We left town, going through his favorite red-light districts. There was a traffic light with five cars lined up in front of him. Shawn was cursing like a NY cabbie on his own time, complaining about "traffic jams".   :saywhat:      :rolleyes:  
The boy has no clue.

We did the Wal-Mart, I went with Shawn to his home and met his wife Cindy, and his dad, whom I prefer to call Mr. Leonard, out of respect. I got to meet his dogs, too, Max, May and Ben. I found Cindy to be down to earth and practical, dealing with whatever came up in much the way I wish I would. She has far more discipline than I. So, I had met Shawn, Cindy, Mr. Leonard and four dogs, and got a quick glimpse of the prizes folks had donated..

My two functioning brain cells maxed out on information, I knew that I would not be able to remember another name, place, event or thing.The two cells never speak to one another anyway. I drove back to the motel to pick my nose and digest this new information. It had been a long, full day since I awoke at 4:00 in my own apartment.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1411 on: February 22, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Sorry I got caught up in the carp thing   :banghead:  
OK I'm back on track Now this next pic is not a still from the Paterson film, actually it's Bob on his way out from the second to last push on Sunday.

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1412 on: February 22, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Just got the Apr/May issue of TBM.. Pg.50 Curt good job. Great story. It's nice to share the woods with you. Tucker..

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1413 on: February 22, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Kathy, I never thought I would say this on the Bunny Hunt thread, but you have an awesome photographic eye, showing buildings the way architechs saw them in their own eyes, great pics.......oh yeah, you aren't saying that Shawn talks a lot are you?????  :bigsmyl:  

One more thing that I am with you on.....Shawn's dad will always be Mr Leonard to me.

If you look in the bottom front of Jim's last pic, you can see the top of a tree that has been chewed clean by rabbits, that picture doesn't do it justice either.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1414 on: February 22, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
That's his bow tip, Dave.  :rolleyes:  
I am uploading a couple videos I took at Briarback. (Ain't no mountain about it!) reading about the mail count while I wait for the upload and answering this...I am a multitasking fool!

You feature in one of the videos. You may start a nervous sweat now.

Killdeer  :saywhat:    :p

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1415 on: February 22, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
I don't know whether to   :scared:  

I think I'll get my mind off of it and start some laundry......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1416 on: February 22, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Good man.  :thumbsup:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1417 on: February 22, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Very, very cool Kathy. The pics. are gorgeous. I cannot wait for more. You tell it so well!! OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1418 on: February 22, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Good people!

OoooohhhhhYeahhhhhhh!!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Keep an eye on Drew's son, Adam. After seeing him hunt, I know we'll hear from him again. Soon.   :archer:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1419 on: February 22, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Nice pics Killy! Great story telling too.
That tree in Jim's pic looks like it needs some protection from the bunnies. WOW.
Look forward to reading this thread every night. Keep up the good work everyone!!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©