INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)  (Read 94302 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)
« Reply #1420 on: February 22, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
 Keep an eye on Drew's son, Adam. After seeing him hunt, I know we'll hear from him again. Soon.  
You hit that one dead on there, Aram...so true...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1421 on: February 22, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Oh, and Kathy....keep up the story. I must admit, I've passed those buildings at least several dozen times, each, and yet still feel the urge to travel down there again and see them as you captured them so elligantly in film....
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1422 on: February 23, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »
Elegantly? No, That requires a tripod, good film and a tilt-shift lens. Oh, getting out of the car is a good thing too.

It is amazing what the right lighting will do.
   :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Keith Deters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1423 on: February 23, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Kathy,  That first building with the gothic towers is the old headquarters for the D&H Railroad.

D+H Building

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1424 on: February 23, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
The lighting was perfect and if ya wanted out I could of parked in that one spot. You are up early Kathy. I tried to sleep in! OOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1425 on: February 23, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Joe Skipp sorry I haven't been on in a couple of days. But that's the story I'm sticking with as well !
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1426 on: February 23, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
I really hope Kathy and Curt come on and finish some thing up. I have to put this thing to bed in a couple days with my final Thankyou to everyone. I have so many people to thank for their generous donations and their big hearts. I know I will miss some but I will do my best!! OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1427 on: February 23, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Anyone with more on the hunt? OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1428 on: February 23, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
How about all the close misses, right off the top of my head I saw Tyler miss at three feet, I missed at three and five and feet, Shawn I know you missed a SITTING bunny at three feet, I saw a young man miss at about eight feet twice, and I know there were more!

My misses were all on the second push at the greenhouse, and both were at rabbits traveling at warp speed as they passed me.....the third to come by I hit in the rear but he kept right on going.....  :banghead:    On that push I was in a real thick spot, so before the pushers started I cut myself a two foot wide shooting lane about ten yards long......four rabbits ended up going through that lane!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1429 on: February 23, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Very nice david. I missed 14 times and hit at least 4 other bunnies besides the one I killed. I had several sitting shots but most of my misses were running. I know I missed the same bunny twicw on the run, I put him out behind the house near the rabbit valley. I did a little push on my own, it is the one Killy ended up killing. Anyway, I jumped on a downed tree behind the houise the bunny went out and I missed at 10 ft. I grabbed another arrow from my bow quiver and as it was motoring dead away I let another fly at about 50 yards, just behind him. I yell bunny behind ya and some kid in the field turns and gets off a shot and than down thru Joe Skipp and Scott, before Katghy killed it on a dead run at 10 ft. OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1430 on: February 23, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
I had a good miss on the push after brier back mountain. Someone yells here comes a bunny heading to the field, next thing I know here it comes. Trouble was that the stinking bunny was on the other side of a chain link fence, I thought to myself, this is going to be good, well if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die, so I drew back put the lead on it and let loose to my surprise I missed the fence and the bunny. Things worked out for the best because one of the drivers picked up my arrow so I didn't have to climb the fence to get it   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1431 on: February 23, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Last drive of the entire hunt, Shawn and I are on the inside fence line heading toward the back of "Grumpy's", a bunny breaks out ahead of us, but cuts back through to our left, I draw follow and release..........only to center punch a small tree about ten feet in front of me, Shawn is trying to find him, when Shawn moves the rabbit busts out from the base of a tree right where it had stopped and sat, when it busted out it so suprised the Huntmaster that he never came close to getting a shot off.......the bunny ran out, across the field and right across the road into another piece.....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1432 on: February 23, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Missed one with my first shot at kicking distance. He was tucked under stuff that was way too thick for my judo. Jim later said he had a clear shot but decided to be chivalrous and let me shoot.     :scared:      I started following a thick blood trail (I just hate to leave some stuff unfinished. We've lost some but every time I saw people really try their best to recover each and every hit bunny.) I could hear people calling BUNNY!... BUNNY! then I spotted it again. It was one tough bunny. I could see it was hit, probably even twice, but it didn't slow him down a bit. He charged past Jeff at full speed but that was his last mistake.      :thumbsup:          :thumbsup:    
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  
I think that was #16     :)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1433 on: February 23, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Actually I was laughing so hard at david for centering that tree I could not of shot if I wanted too! OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1434 on: February 23, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
Shawn, stop pushing this dang thing to a close. The rest of us don't have as much free time as you do. Put it to bed? Just shoot, shovel and shut up?
Jeez. Roll over and go to sleep then. I believe I'll have a cigarette.

Stupid mail count. I just got in froma very full day, most of which was spent at work. The rest was spent at the tail end of a hog butchering.

The moon hung gibbous in the southeast as I drove in, a hub of activity for all the powers roaming the fathomless depths of the infinite night. Its dull amber glow was a warm promise in the bitter dark, like a glimmer from the bottom of a banked fire when one breathes it to life in the morning. I thought I saw my mother's face in her, but no.

It was the Energizer Bunny.
I need sleep.
Shawn...chill.  :cool:  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1435 on: February 23, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
i hope this thread rolls for a couple more months myself, still a lot to be said and like Killy said not much time cept wekends to say it.
 Shawn,
          did ya find that chap stick yet???  :scared:
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1436 on: February 23, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
Sorry Killie, but I don't think "chill" is in Shawn's vocabulary, LOL    :biglaugh:
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1437 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
I agree Scott. Especially with "Abolsute" power.

Shawn is right tho, as all good things must come to an end. Not for ever, but as like changing seasons. Rest is good.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1438 on: February 24, 2008, 05:53:00 AM »
good morning all!  :coffee:   how bout some more pic's!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1439 on: February 24, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
This must have been break time.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©