INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)  (Read 94956 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2008 (FINAL THANKYOU!!)
« Reply #580 on: January 25, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Let me see, two guys hunting for just a bit, see 34 rabbits and get 16 shots.........hmmmmmm, now lets think about 50-60 hunters in the same piece.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch out Bunnies!!!!!!!!!  :scared:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Heck, I'm sitting here picturing the where the drivers will be, where the brushpiles are, remembering where they hid and where they went on that piece, my mind is flooded with memories of past hunts, from Curt's miss at short range two years ago at a standing bunny to Ru taking a shot from the outer edge with the Little Delta Bow, then of course I quickly morphed into the next push that follows the greenhouses.........

BRIARBACK MOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
OK guys and gals some more good news and a little story. This is for Melissa Landon, she is Co-Owner of No Wheels, a Traditional shop. She sent out 3 really cool hats and 3 T-Shirts for or raffle, and sated she did not know where I thought this hunt up so, here we go. I went on a Bunny Hunt in Western NY with some guys in early 04', after the hunt on the way home with curt(Guru) and Brian(recurver) I said that was great but I could put a hunt on where we would see lots of bunnies. I decided to post here on TG and see who wanted to come and hunt bunnies with me. I asked my Mom(Joan Leonard) if we could use her house as a staging area for the hunters and shoot in the yard and eat in the house, basically give her home up to how many ever people showed. That first year we had 19 show up, everyone bought some stuff for a little prize table. Well some of it was so nice we decided to have a little raffle and raise some money, for what we did not know. My Mom suggested St. Judes, that first year we killed 2 bunnies and took 33-35 shots as a group. I believe we raised around $700 dollars for the kids. The next year I decided to make it a two day hunt and again Mom offered up the house but this time with about 10 or so strangers sleeping over, we could not of done this without her. We again had a blast and raised more money that year. Unfortuantely in may of 05' my mom passed away and time just kind of stood still for me, but before I knew it the Bunny Hunt was fast approaching, I spoke to my Dad and family and we agreed to keep this thing going and made the decision to call it the Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt!! That was Feb 06' we managed to kill 4 bunnies and took over 70 shots I believe! Last year(07') we had around 40 people attend and raised close to $2500 for the St. Judes kids, we also set a record for bunnies killed with 16 and as a group we took over 150 shots and had a great time doing it. I know this does not give ya many details but it does show you the dedication of this great group and how something that starts out as a dream can become a reality, all because a very special lady said yes to her baby!!  I miss her very much, but I am sure she is there in the kitchen and on the back porch with all of us, watching and enjoying all the stories of the days hunt!! Thanks again to everyone for making this hunt so special!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #583 on: January 25, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks to you and your family for continuing to put this on every year...you give us something to look forward to every February and this hunt is so cool for so many reasons.Thanks again and see ya soon,Shawn.OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
My heart tells me that you are a wonderful person Shawn. All of us can see that. Thinking and speaking of your mom when we get together keeps her very much alive in spirit. She is your guide.

God Bless You My Friend

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Dido.
The lil man speaks with big voice and even bigger heart..
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Shawn,
 Glad to see the Bunny Hunt is causing alot of good commotion.I am planning on attending is there room for 1 - possibly 3 to crash at your parents house ? Myself & fellow Trad Gangers Allen Shelton & Lloyd Busch ? Also what do you need us to bring food,TP, papertowels let me know.I will have a donation or 2 for raffle.I only have dial up and it is slow otherwise I would read the other 38 pages :-) Hope your shoulder holds out !!

Tom
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #587 on: January 26, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
shawn....we are starting to plan for the trip next year from michigan...it would be jacobsladder, timfishell, drew, whitebuffalo, and jakejrtrickshot.....OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #588 on: January 26, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Glad to see you're coming Tom, I sent you a pm.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #589 on: January 26, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
Here is the up to date food list, later today I will transfer the bow list to this post also to see where we stand there.........

Beverages- at least 8 cases of canned soda or juice(no glass)--->Drewsbow(2 cases of soda)Mcgroundstalker(4 cases of soda)Southpawshooter. Bowspirit(2cases of soda)Fran/Mo, Tom Phillips
2-3 gallons of orange and apple juice--->Stone Knife
Few cases of Bottled Water-------->3dMuzzy, Southpawshooter
Main dishes-to feed at least 15 people or so.---->Stone Knife(2 dishes)Jeremy(1 dish)Keith Deters(1 Dish)ADKmountainken(1 Dish)Swampbuck(1 Dish)Guru(1 Dish)Kingstaken(1 dish)Compoundguy(1 dish)
Mac Salad----------->Bowspirit
Hot Dogs and Rolls 3-4 dozen of each---->Herkimerhunter
Lunch Meat+Cheese-5-6#s of lunch meat-2-3#s of cheese--->LeeNY
Chips an assortment of 5-6 big bags---->Jeremy, LeeNY
Pickles-3-4 jars----->3dMuzzy
Cereal+Milk-3-4-boxesand 2 gallons milk---->Aram
Donuts-3-4 dozen(COP Cakes)---->Swampbuck
Bagels +(4) Cream cheese-3-4-dozen---->-Bamboo
Condiments(Butter 3#s, mustard, ketchup,Hellmans Mayo, relish)---->-Bamboo
Butter---------->-Shawn
6ft. sub---------->Shawn
coffee, cream,sugar hot chocolate, tea-------->Shawn
venison stew-------->Shawn
chili-------->Herkimerhunter
meatballs------->Dbldroptyne(Two Large Trays)
portugeese rolls---------->Dbldroptyne
soup------->
rolls and bread----->Drewsbow
4-5 Deserts--------->Keith Deters(2)Fran/Mo(2 pies)Indianabowman(1) Guru (1)
Paper Towels 6-8 rolls----->Huntrdfk
Paper Plates heavy duty ones like 150 or so.--->Huntrdfk
Plastic bowls or paper bowls---->Huntrdfk
Styrofoam Cups for hot beverages at least 120---------> Huntrdfk
plastic silverware, knives,forks and spoons 100 or so of each-------->Huntrdfk
Large Garbage Bags----------->Huntrdfk
Box of 1 gallon zip lock bags-------->Huntrdfk
Thre rolls of aluminum foil--------->Huntrdfk
Two large coolers with ice(three bags each)------>-Ishiwannabe
A few targets------>-Huntrdfk(Bear)Bowspirit(Block)McGroundstalker(Raccoon, Woodchuck, Fox, Tom Turkey, Coyote)

SNOW-1FOOT OR LESS!!---------->Woodchucker

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Mrs Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #590 on: January 26, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Shawn,
Glad to hear that you got the hats and shirts we sent.  Great story about your mom and the beginnings of this hunt.  What you are doing is sooooooo cool!  I lost my stepmom this last Thanksgiving day to cancer.  Her name was also Joan and was a hunter and lover of the outdoors.  Your bunny hunt and story reminds me of her.

Good luck to all who attend!!!
"Brown dogs make the best BOWCHERY dogs"

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #591 on: January 26, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Hey David! Ya gotta omit the Tom Turkey target from the list..... Couldn't fit it in my truck...  :(  ... Could fit my Pink Hat though.

... mike ...  :jumper:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #592 on: January 26, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
Tom, we will have room for ya at the house and each of ya bring some food items, dessert, Chili, stew anything really, drinks in cans or juice in cans is always good, make sure ya each bring something for the table and plenty of money, we are gonna raise a bunch for the kids!! Also plenty of arrows as we have lots of bunnies and lots of fun stuff to shoot in the yard!!! We would love to have you Michigan boys, I picked up another 85 acres to hunt so we have plenty of room, if it gets to large we can hunt in two groups next year. This year we will have them bunnies surrounded that is for sure. Cindy and I are getting the house ready, no -ne has been in there in about 5 months, but it will be ready to go by the hunt and plenty of sleeping space!! I walked to the house next door this evening and put out 3 bunnies, I missed two and no shot on the first one and that was in the yard!!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #593 on: January 26, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Will you STOP scaring the bunnies? Nothing wrong with a false sense of security there, ya know. Be good if they lounged around in their bunny slippers, ate bonbons and gained weight, too.

Killdeer  :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #594 on: January 26, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Killy, he won't stop till the season ends!!!!  Luck for us there is an overabundance of rabbits there.

Shawn I already got with Tom about the food, he is all set.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
Killy, I have gotten better as I used to use the scattergun a lot, I only go once in a while with that now. We killed 15 a few weeks ago, in about an hour. I really love it with the bow, but it can be frustrating. Damon has killed one with the bow everytime he has hunted this year, quite a feat but last night his streak ended. This old man could not run him down, ten years ago I would of ran him down in the first 30 yards!! I will say this, we have left two spots untouched and will leave them go until the hunt, I am sure we will see bunnies in these two spots, and they will be fat, but they will have their track shoes on, not their bunny slippers!!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #596 on: January 26, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
I can't go.
It's these new bibs.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #597 on: January 26, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
I just got them, and the straps are too long. I can sew them up, I guess, but that isn't all.

Now, tell me the truth. Do these make my butt look big?
Killdeer  :confused:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #598 on: January 26, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Uh oh!!!! Whats this thread "Tradgangers Gone Wild"?Kiliie, with smut like that I cant let my 7 year old look at this thread anymore.I guess hell have to stick to his second favorite website "2nd Graders Gone Wild".  :scared:    :scared:    :scared:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #599 on: January 26, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
I am not touching that one, I mean the post not the butt or both. I think they look fine, you are gonna need them!! The multi-flora rose held at least 15 bunnies yesterday!! OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©