INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Walking with weapons....looking for.....spring?  (Read 6929 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Walking with weapons....looking for.....spring?
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Well, yesterday was the last day of our small game season and sadly, I did not get a chance to hunt "technically" the close of our '07 season. It was a bitter-sweet day...knowing deer season was really long gone and now the hogs on public land had to wait till turkey season for me to pursue them again.

Chuck (CJ) Pearson invited me a few weeks ago to take a look at some private property that bordered a river near my house. Supposedly, the place was et (that's the past tens of "eat" for my yangese bretheren) up with hogs. The old farmer told CJ that the hogs were tearing up his fields....and the bears were scaring the horses.

So, being the good samaritan that he is, CJ offered his services as pest controller....and invited me and Chase (my eldest) along for a look. A bit saddened by the end of the season, I jumped at the chance to be in the woods with bow in hand. In Georgia, on private land, hogs are legal year round. Did I mention how good a friend CJ is for inviting us?   :D  

CJ picked us up around 1pm and we quickly were on our way. The farm was litterally around the corner...down a road I pass every morning on my way to work.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Walking with weapons....looking for.....spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
I went light, just my compass, camera, bow and arrows. CJ strapped on his cat quiver....Chase his back quiver and G&L longbow. We eagerly bailed out of the truck and made our way to the gate.

We followed a logging road up and down the hills till we neared the river and branched off on a heavily used game trail. The rough terrain reminded me of the Cohutta Wilderness Area Terry and I so often hunted. The ridges were sharp, the draws steep....and everything seemed to be vertical.

We made our way down to the river hoping to find seeps and/or pools where the hogs took refuge. The thick rhododendron along the river banks and multiple blow downs from high winds seemed to be the perfect sunning spots for critter bigger than a rabbit.

The sun was warm and it was an invigorating change of pace from the cold winds that had blown the last few weeks.  Ask Iron Bull how he would compare his WY temps to ours...while not the deadly cold he experiences, our temps in N.GA frequently drop into the teens and when coupled with the high humidity, make the air cut like a razor through thin clothing. We had a few mornings below 20 past week and the wind was simply brutal.

The interspersed clear cuts, power line right of ways and steep, brush choked hill sides reflected the sun's warmth. The rough terrain actually caused moist brows with the hunting party....labored breathing from the steep climbs reminded me of too many hours in the stand when I could have been stalking.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Keep movin JC,that wind is COLD!! LOL  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
We made our way down towards the river and paused on a bluff. My "lil' indian" Chase, paused, speaking wisdom that belied his youth..."This sure is a pretty place, Daddy."

He was right, God seemed to have carved out the chasm just for our scouting party. The breeze was no longer cold but had the hint of suns warmth on it. The river babbled seductively below...CJ and I smiled as we caught each other scanning for trout below. Lord, what wonderous creations you have made.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Oh yeah!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
No hog sign where we were, we made the heart taxing climb back to the ridge....only to make our way down yet another gully to hit a steep draw that looked as if it lead to yet another vantage point.

We saw thick brush as we neared the far top rim...obviously a clear cut. Knowing a bit of mountain hogs, my pace slowed as we slipped towards the thicker cover. Multiple game trails crossed, seperated and reconvened coming out of the edge of the cover. Again, CJ and I caught ourselves smiling at one another while Chase whispered in hoarse, strained whispers..."Look at that trail...and there....and over there!"

We found ourselves coming out on the powerline area that cut through the property. Sadly, man's hand had not been gentle to the land. There had been a swath of timber laid low 100 yards wide. It had been done some years ago, but it still tugged at my heart that someone could intentionall deface such beautiful country.

One thing we did clearly see among the blowdowns was a serious game trail. It was obvious the local fauna found the view from the open hillside just as captivating as we did....I paused to snap a shot of CJ and Chase.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
There's my little mohawk wearing buddy! Hurry up JC dad gummit!
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Yeah, Chase got the new doo during wrestling this year. Lately he's been hard into our Creek heritage and once he found our the Muskogean tribes often sported "mohawks", there was no changing the hair!

We side-hilled along the step bank, working our way generally along the river looking for sign. Though we saw numerous seeps and muddy banks along the river, the hog sign evaded us. But Glory, it was a fine day to be "walking with weapons" as brothers Wensel are fond of saying.

The river ran clear and cold...it held shoal bass and panfish that would rise lustily when during the summer months. Right now, it simply reeked of trout...and if not for the boiling summer months could support a healthy population.

The ridges were steep....and around every point rested a ledge of shale. Like the moccasin-clad hunters of days gone by, the rocky outcroppings thrust their chin into the warm sun, proud and strong. Overhangs and open caves painted pictures of small warming fires during a downpour.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Come on your killin me here!  :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Dang it...there's a dead rabbit on that boys head!

Wear it proud little brother!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
We bushwacked through the thick brush along the river. CJ took a high trail that seperated and ened up ahead of us....Chase and I crawling through the mountain laurel and heavy river brush along another "trail". Between the greenbriar and thick bush, we clawed our way up through the tail that seemed to be more suited for a raccoon than humans. We met up with CJ mid hill and decided to change tactics. No hog sign yet....we thought we would make our way back in the general direction of  the field the farmer had complained of the hogs tilling...where we had parked. Maybe if we walked the edge of the field we would find the main trail they used and back track to a bedding area.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
come on  patiedntly waiting
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Wish I had the Nad's for a Mohawk! He looks COOL!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Great looking spot Joe, Looks a lot like a little "step across " creek I found on my last hunt in the Ocoee Bear reserve. I gotta get me one of those haircuts.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
We hit a draw that led us back towards the truck. The recent rains had brought the spring to life....we slipped along it's fern lined banks up the gentle slope it provided. Moss covered rocks glistened in the bright afternoon sun, rejoicing that the callous grip of state-wide drought had been forced to loosen it's iron grip by the winter rains.

The land seemed to flatten...the draw widened and became much less steep. Oaks lined the gentle slopes as we made our way back.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Hec Nads Joe Weed. I have one only it's what you call a reverse Mohawk. Great story so far  JC.

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Great pics and story JC, keep-um coming. Sure don't look like any place I've been lately!

Pop
If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Great story so far!

Nice Pics!

Stylin' son!

Ya got me waitin' here for more!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
We still had seen no hog sign....but obviously the heavy trail that wound it's way through the draw was well used. We certainly agreed with the old farmer's statement about the bear. The paths had obviously been traveled by deer....but these were slighly different. It almost looked as if the trails had boot travel. The leaves were beat flat, but we could find no footprints   :rolleyes:  Oaks, interspersed blackberries, fresh water, rough terrain, rock outcroppings...it all whispered "bear"...and "deer" in our attentive eaars. Even if there weren't hogs, there were certainly other game to be had....albeit in later seasons...but certainly enough to keep our attention as we walked.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Keep it coming JC, this is great......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©