INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Workin up a Texas Sweat Hog - PICS from Mitch pg 4  (Read 21567 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Workin up a Texas Sweat Hog - PICS from Mitch pg 4
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
After just being amazed from the first day by how Woody could craft things out of stone, that are both functional and beautifull, he offered to make me one i was speachless, Woody Knapped me a head and mounted it on a shaft he had given me, i shot it several times and was very confident in its ability.
It is made from Imperial Jasper.

Woody is one of the most Genuine guys iv met, and has a strong passion for his Craft.
Thank you for the Point Woody i hope i can put it to good use in Namibia.
I carried the point with me for the last day and it made for a great ending to my First hunt in Texas

There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Andy,

I enjoyed the bunny outing as well.  I enjoyed getting to know you and look forward to hunting together again.  You are always welcome and most certainly have a place to hang you hat here in Utah.

Mitch

Woody has spoiled us all.  His craftmanship is only put done by his humble attitude.  I suspect there may be a few people breaking rock as a result of him.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Andy that last pic is VERY nice!!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
ATTN: ALL SWEAT HOGS

Guys, I am in the process of making a photo disk for the 2008 Sweat. I have downloaded all the pictures posted here so far plus all the one's I took along with others that people have sent me. I will start a post under the TXS08 Forum and if you have any pictures you wish to share or ones not everyone should see just post them there. I'll give it a week and download them. Once I have them all I will ask for everyone's address and send you each a copy. there is over 200 pictures on the disk so far. I can photoshop or crop anything you send.
hunt it

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Great idea.  I am lacking in the picture department.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: February 27, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
that's a great idea thanks!!!

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Even though I didn't get to draw a string on a hog, javie, or rabbit...I did get to see my TX Sweat Skinner in action.  Dave had started to skin his Russian boar but that knife was dull (no doubt from the previous six pigs  ;)  

Anyway I wanted to see what kind of job it would do on that boar with the thick shields from the shoulders all the way down it's sides. He gutted, cut the ribs, and completely skinned it without touching it up.  I also knew that Dave uses his equipment so there was no babying of the blade.  When I got home it only took a few strokes on my Gatco system to bring it right back to shaving sharpness.  

Since it seemed to pass the "hunt it" test, I cut the para-cord handle off and will re-handle with some old weathered bone that Shaun found for me on the ranch.  Then it will be placed on this years St Judes Auction.  Couldn't ask for a better R&D testing department...thanks Dave!  Doc

Before Dave got to it.  The para-cord wasn't as nice looking after the job!

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: February 27, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
well i missed another !! and it looks like there were almost enough pigs around that i could have stumbled onto one or could have followed Dave around for the "leavings"   ;)   he seemed to have been a massacree in disguise .

beautiful pics and lots of smiling faces  , lover the knapped heads and always like to see an artist at work .

now is see picks of Javies and piggies and talk of jack rabbits and gophers and a deer pic but was there any real game and i mean "bunnies" desert cottontails ? love those little guys --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: February 27, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Boonies were slim pickins Herb. Mostly jackalopes. The Flame did a great job on that big hog.
hunt it

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: February 27, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
If nothing else, Woody, Doc, Rob, Whip, Brent and some of the others can leave you feeling severely inadequate when you witness their artistry and generousity.

I had the opportunity to watch both Shaun and Brent make flakes for awhile and I'm sure they'll both become budding knappers.  Go ahead Brent, show us your head . . . oops, arrowhead.

Here's some more Pic's:

Charlie set-up his camp in a secluded corner of the barn and slept in his tent/cot, or cot/tent, whichever you want to call it.

I'd be mad too if I had to wear a PINK Camo cap!!

Larry (Caddo) Dix and Robert (Son of Texas) Holloway (foreground) admire a selection of Tippit's cutlery and Rob's European Skull mount while in the background Jason (Jason in Bama) Henderson (Left) and Kevin Smith worry about something. I had the priviledge of hunting with Jason and his dad Paul about a year ago and found them to be some of the most tenatious hunters I've ever known. Paul is the finest example of the "Fine Southern Gentleman" you'll ever find. Jason isn't bad himself.

Jason had brought a mounted rattlesnake for self-defense if the "joking-around" got too serious. Be glad you didn't stick a piggy in his bedroll!! It drifted from one location to another all over camp and someone was always getting a shot of adrenline regardless of how many times they'd already seen it.

Moonrise over the front gate.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Doc,

That blade did an awesome job and the para cord handle was second to none for a good solid grip. No slippage at all. Thanks for the chance to field test it for you.  :thumbsup:
hunt it

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
More Pictures:

Another picture of Andy's second javelina. I think he was the only one to "fill-out" on his javelina limit.

Kevin Smith (back left) and Jason Henderson confer with Charlie on hunting strategy. Kevin had already taken a hog and Jason had been in hot pursuit of a VW Bus he'd spotted on several occasions.

Rob (Robtattoo) Peel with Vance's Andy. They got REAL close over the course of the week and Andy was always smiling!

Rob with two Andys.

I think the only reason Vance (Iron Bull) brings his Camper is so he'll always be able to spend some time in his kitchen.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Woody... I was going to post of picture of the work of art you made me, but your photo is much better than mine.

It's on the desk beside me now where I can reach out and handle it... it's an impulse that fires each time I look over at the point.

Thanks for the kind words and bravo my friend.   :notworthy:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
Is anybody a Photoshop wiz?  Between mine, Dave's, and Woody's group photos maybe someone who knew what they were doing could cut and paste and move some heads around to pull some of the hidden people out and make one good picture.  
I hope to frame this for the St. Jude's Auction, and I want to make sure everyone thinks it's good enough to bid on.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Good Stuff, me and the KIMSHA Posse are heading South to McMullen County a week from today so the stories will be flowing hot and heavy in a couple weeks.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: February 28, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
Joe my dad is a Photographer, if there is a pic that you want worked on he would be happy to do it. To get it perfect and print it in realy high quality, even on canvas if you wanted. send me the full size pics via e-mail and ill ask him to sort them out for you  :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
Good Stuff!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: February 28, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
That would be great Andy!  I'll send the full resolution pics in seperate emails.
Thanks!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: February 28, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
These picture's where shown before, Lucky for me I think it was Robs that turned out. You would think watching a guy smack rock. Would not be all that interesting. But I'm here to tell ya it is so intrigeing to watch a master at work. This is the one Woody made for me. Truely works of acient art, but I think a little beyond!

He offered up his seat one afternoon, these I made from his scrap piece's. The top one was my first attempt at it. The lower one my second, I was getting a little tired doing the second one. It requires a lot of hand stength to hold the pieces while knapping. Great work out for your hands though!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Nice job Brent!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©