INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Workin up a Texas Sweat Hog - PICS from Mitch pg 4  (Read 21583 times)

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Workin up a Texas Sweat Hog - PICS from Mitch pg 4
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »

This picture of the waterhole is taken from the vantage point of where the coyote and big boar came in first night.  RobTattoo and I sat this hole the last night as well.  Rob was sitting in a blind in the corner wher the blue arrow points.  He was only about 15 yards from a concrete tank marked by the grey arrow.  I was sitting on the mud bank along the waters edge depicted by the yellow arrow.  After the sun went down and before the full moon came up a big pig came to visit.  He was eating corn between Rob and the concrete tank.  He was slobbering and slurping in the tank.  I could hear him from where I was sitting.  Unfortunately for Rob it was as dark as the inside of a cow and he couldn't shoot.  I was praying for the moon to rise before the boar cleaned up the corn.  After the hog drank I heard the barbed wire fence screech as the boar stretched the wire as he crawled under.  In a few minutes the boar was standing just feet from my head (red arrow).  The wind was blowing his scent over me and he was rank.  I could only see a large dark form in the darkness and I was praying he didn't come down to the water because I wouldn't have anywhere to go but into the pond if he became aggressive and came down to the water with me.  I was set up for a shot across the pond and could not get my bow up to shoot through the mesquite shrub along the bank by my head.  I was thankful when the boar wandered off into the western blackness of night.  When the moonlight allowed me to see he wasn't lying in wait for me we called it a night.  No pig on the meatpole but plenty of excitement to end a great hunt.

This is the vantage point view where Robert shot at the huge boar in the moonlight our first night out.  Looked as big as a volkswagon at 12 yards.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »

Dave getting ready to put some fire to this tub of moose steaks.  He knows how to do marinated moose steak very well.  Enjoyed by all.

I love my little piggy, I will hold it, and squeeze it and pat it on the head, and kiss it and stroke it ....  I think Mitch was one of the first to bring a pig to the meat pole.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Looks like a great time!  Maybe next year.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Excellant stuff guys! Can't wait to see some more pics and hear more stories! Looks like you guys had a blast!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Still have a whole second week of hunts to look forward to yet too! This is another great thread in the making!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Mo Sherpa,

I think your assessment of Texas is pretty harsh.  Knife Rivers’ pictures look great.   Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and whatever Texas lacks in scenery it makes up for in game animals. Your eye "glasses" seem half empty to me.

As far as the un-recovered animals that is an unfortunate reality of hog hunting.  My limited experience (two sweat hunts) indicates that most guys aren't used to hunting an animal whose guts are positioned in the normal kill zone. I've messed up a shot on a javi' and a hog because I just didn't squeeze it in tight enough to the shoulder blade and hit them too low.  Midwestern deer hunting seems easy compared to hogs and javi's. Breaking the shoulder on a javi is nearly a must if you’re going to recover them.  That's what makes hunting these animals, in this terrain so challenging to a lot of us.  For that reason alone Texas is a beautiful winter get away.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
It was my understanding that everyone was going to hunt together 1 week this year?

Well said Chris    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Just got in from a loooong run down I-10. BB-Q'd some shrimp and did some unloading. Mostly did a lot of reflecting about the last 7 days. All good, all a big blurr, and a real crashing feeling after coming down from all the adrenaline.

Unfortunately I didn't get crazy with a camera this year. I mostly kept a video camera running and managed to get over 3 hours of TXS08 captured. Also got some great hog and javelina footage including two of my own over-the-shoulder, self filmed, impact shots on hogs. One was with a Woody Blackwell stone point(it didn't bounce off).  :D  

Of all the Texas Sweat hunts that Charlie and I have ever hosted, this was by far the best. I can't thank everyone enough for coming. It makes us proud to see so many guys travel so far to hang out and shoot sticks and strings. Cool beyond words!!!! Gotta get some rest now. I've gotta hit the road again in the early morning to pick up another load of camp gear and head right back out on another adventure. Keep those pics coming! It was a great honor to have all you guys attend. I hope to see you guys again in another camp somewhere along the line. CK

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
There will not be a week two.  Curtis had to vacate the house we were headquartered at because someone was moving in later that afternoon.

Seems to be a lot of you people that are sensitive about my observations of Texas and need to lighten up a wee bit.  I think I made an accurate description about the only part of Texas I have seen.  I didn't make it up.  I know there are prettier parts of Texas, at least I hope there are, (probably most of Texas) and I do appreciate the game we hunted there which is somewhat of a redeeming feature but it doesn't change what I saw.  I understand the oil patch is a messy business and it has created an environmental situation that looks like a giant salvage yard.  This trip to Texas surely shortened up the winter for me, I enjoyed the trip, I enjoyed the company, the fellowship, the food etc.  I know there are other parts of the country that have trash problems, urban blight etc but I challenge you to describe a similar sized area anywhere else in the United States that is less attractive.  The arid deserts of Az, NM, Nv,and Utah are similar but more scenic with mountains, without the smell, extensive rusting oil infrastructure, and without all the trash blowing along the Interstate roadways.  The "physical beauty" of this part of Texas made an impression on me.  Putting a spin on the looks of the place by saying it has its own beauty, and great game in my mind is like polishing a turd.  You can buff at it all your life and when your done you will still have a polished turd.  Reality is harsh isn't it?  ;)   I will return to Texas to hunt again some winter day, but it won't be because I think west Texas is a pretty place.

Offline Kevin Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Made it back to Austin safely, and am enjoying kicking my feet up and relaxing before i get to the task of unloading, unpacking, and dealing with my pig. That was one hell of a time! It was a pleasure to meet and share camp with everybody. Thanks for listening and appreciating my music. I have come back with a renewed sense of energy to get this second record finished, and have you to thank for it.   :thumbsup:  Looking forward to seeing all the pics and reliving and hearing some of the stories from the week.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence"

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
WOW!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
Just got in from the 1200 miles of cruise control, thank goodness for books on tape. I have a ton of pictures and some good tales when I get some rest. Pops, Curtis and Charlie - so good to see you again. And what a gathering of bowhunter friends new and old!!!!!!!!!! WOW

A few teasers;  The musician had to kill the first hog. Charlie got a B&C pocket gopher. I got to clean a hog with a corner tang flint knife after watching it being made by our world class knapper (Kife River). Andy put the S&S on not one but two separate javies. Vance ate food.

And there's LOTS more to come...

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »

Both of these points were used on hogs.  The bottom one was used twice in one day:  two dead hogs.

[/QB]
WOW !!!!!! Nice, vary nice.

Could you say those hogs where STONED.

:clapper:

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
The hunting was great.  I was into hogs everyday except the first.  Can't say for sure that I saw a javie, although I caught a glimpse of a black wedge-shaped critter that skittled across a dirt road in the distance.  I thought it was a javie, but it looked 17 miles away and the curve of the earth might've deceived the eye.  It was a loooong way off...

There were four boars in the first bunch I saw.  They were big.  Looked like badly-upholstered loveseats.  Curtis was kinda skeptical at first -- he didn't think there were hogs THAT big on the place, but a few nights later, he traded insults in the moonlight with one that probably went 300 pounds.  Picture this:  Curtis was armed with "Sweet Spot" (a pick axe handle) and was swapping challenges with a belligerent boar on the other side of a tiny pond.  For a minute, it looked like the hog was going to come over and sort things out...     :scared:  

A lot of things happened by moonlight.  On Wednesday I was sitting close to a spill pond next to a windmill.  Just as the sun dropped under the horizon, pigs started arriving.  The four big boars showed up first, and just as they did the night before, they kept heading north.  No shot.  About 14 others arrived soon, though, and they were hungry for hors d'ouevres (corn and stagnant water).  The corn was on the other side of a hog fence:  to get to it, they had to pass in front of me to crawl single-file through a gap in the fence.  They knew something was wrong, but they wanted the corn, and they weren't completely certain what I was.  By then it was getting dark, but the full moon was rising fast.  Seven of them made it through the  gap in the fence -- I was waiting for a nice, brown bristly boar that was hanging back.  He was smart and ornery.  I'd left my pack under a mesquite tree.  Twice he went to my pack and shoved it around and then stepped back out in clear view at about 40 yards.  He grumbled and growled and blew and blew.  Man, did he ever want that corn, but to get to it he had to come within 14 yards of me and turn broadside to skinny through the fence-gap...

He wouldn't do it.  He finally left and the others rushed through the gap to gobble corn with the first bunch.  I turned my attention to them.  The biggest one was about a 90 pound black sow, but they were all over the place, jostling for position.  So much corn, so little time...

The moon was almost two handwidth's over the horizon, but there wasn't much light.  In fact it seemed to be getting darker, so I broke out a flashlight.  What would the hogs do if I turned it on?  Amazingly, nothing.  No reaction at all...  So, with the flashlight balanced sideways on my head, I squatted a bit to shoot between the fence wires.  When the biggest sow was standing still and clear of the scrum, I sent a flint-tipped arrow her way.  Bad hit.  The fletching disappeared low in her hams.  She screamed bloody murder and whole mob galloped through an open gate on the far side of the pond.  I heard the snap of a cedar shaft.

I climbed up on the fence and sat for a few minutes.  Calm down, think back through the shot, look for a blood trail, find the arrow...  And look at the moon.  It's a lunar eclipse -- no wonder it's dark.

After about ten minutes, I heard hog grunts -- they were coming back and the injured hog was limping hard behind them.  I tried to get close enough for another arrow, but it didn't happen.  When they left again, they didn't return.  I found the business end of the broken arrow, looked at the pools of blood on the ground, and drove back to camp.

Curtis did his damndest to find the hog, but the blood trail quickly dropped to nothing.  The tracks in the powdery sand crossed and recrossed like a bowl of spaghetti.  There were a thousand directions the hog could have gone and a million mesquite bushes to lay under.  I firmly believe Curtis could track a moth through a thunderstorm, but this chore stumped him.

I stumbled across the leftovers on Friday.  Coyotes had eaten everything but the yellow fletching.  The 265 grain stone point had cracked the left rear femur and exited the off-side leaving eight inches of shaft inside the hog.  The stone point had done a good job.  I wish I'd done my job better and put it in the right place.

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
No way!!! A single beveled stone broadhead.

Knife, A tip of my camo hat to you Sir.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
On Friday I had my chance.  In the early afternoon I went out to put out some corn.  Surprisingly, a 30 to 40 pound red pig was out with two buddies busily vacuuming the last of the corn from a dirt road.  A flint-tipped arrow on a Sitka spruce shaft went through his front shoulders.

Back at camp, I resharpened the stone point (raw Knife River flint from North Dakota) and mounted it on a new shaft.  Back to the water hole at the windmill.  This time I was glad to have Mel's company.  I hoped he would have some luck tonight.

Mel and I stood at a metal gate and chatted for a while until I finally noticed a nice boar standing behind us!  Where the heck did he come from???  He was due west of us and the wind was ideal:  Mel did a loop to the south and I looped north, both converging on the boar at about the same time.  In a perfect world, one of would have bumped the boar to the other guy, but this hog got lucky.  He heard or winded one of us and moved further to the west.  He disappeared in the endless scrub.

Not a problem.  There were six hogs feeding toward us from the other direction on the same road!  It was getting dark and the sky was overcast -- no help from the moon tonight.  Maybe the flashlight trick would work again.

Mel and I threw a quick plan together and ducked behind some mesquite.  We didn't have long to wait for the hogs to feed our way.  Mel hadn't had many shot opportunities this week so I wanted him to have the first go.  As the hogs cleared the scrub Mel said he was ready and I turned on the light.  The hogs squealed and exploded back down the road!  I felt bad -- I'd just cost Mel a chance at a good hog.

But within a minute we heard the hogs returning -- they couldn't have been too spooked by the light!  When Mel said he was ready, I shone the light on the biggest one.  Mel shot purely by instinct -- he couldn't even see his arrow on the bow.  We heard the thump of an arrow.  No sound from the pig, though.  Usually they make a lot of noise when they're hit.  This was confusing.  There were a lot of pig noises all around us, but in the distance there was one that sounded more like distress than alarm...

Some of the pigs ran ahead and joined some others milling around on the other side of the metal gate.  This was the same metal gate where we'd stood and chatted just 45 minutes earlier!  Now it was my turn.  We slid up to the fence and looked the hogs over through our binos.  I picked out a high-backed bristly one and waited for it.  When it cleared the group, Mel hit the light.  The hogs ignored the light, but I was blinded -- the edge of the beam was reflecting off the galvanized pipe fence.  Mel stretched his arm higher and higher until I could see again.  Like Mel, I couldn't see my arrow, so I drew my bow a couple times until things felt "right."  When the arrow entered the circle of light, the chartreuse fletching glowed like a tracer round arcing toward the hog.  A spine hit dropped it in its tracks.  That was the second hog that day with that same stone point.  A second arrow in the heart ended things quick.

After the short drag to the gate, we went to look for signs of Mel's hog.  Mel found the arrow laying in the road.  It was covered with pale blood and smelled like a gut shot.  We headed into the scrub to look for sign, both of us on major trails in the direction of the "distress" call we'd heard earlier.  Less than forty yards in I spotted Mel's hog on the back side of a mesquite bush.  His arrow had clipped the big artery that runs under the spine.  

It was a great night.  Two good hogs, cleanly killed with a tag team effort on the last night of a wonderful hunt.  Good friends and wonderful memories.  Doesn't get much better than that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
A whirlwind of a trip, and we where in some of them   :D   ad some sandblast and you where there. Just in off the road, the roadrunner Stinson is going like the enigizer bunny. Headed for his shower and bed. About a hour and a half into our trip headed to Texas. I looked over at him, and told him I was disappointed in him. He looked a little puzzled, I told him after all I had heard bout his driving. I thought I would be there by now   :jumper:   What a great guy to road trip with and Mel TO!!! Stinson had us in stiches as usually. Him being sucked up by a space craft is as funny as it comes, AND TRUE TO!!!!! I think we are going to have to rename him though. I'm thinking SERIAL HOG KILLER. Dave broke the hog record in one day with one arrow! I'm burn out now, pictures to follow tomorrow. YA ALL MISSED ONE HECK OF A HUNT!!!!! And what a super bunch of guys to share a camp with. Sweet Dreams   :D

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kingwouldbe:
No way!!! A single beveled stone broadhead.
Yessir, that's exactly what it is.  I made a few after reading Dr Ashby's research.  They "screw" their way through a foam target.  Seem to do well on hogs.  You want to try one on your west coast monsters?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
A man has to be careful hanging around Woody. He will have ya pounding rock. With out ya having a clue as what ya just started.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Ok, all the hunting junk is unpacked, the camera is downloaded and I've had a couple hours of sleep.

What a great hunt.  I say that despite not seeing a single live pig all week, and despite agreeing with Mo Sherpa on West Texas scenery.  The place was full of good folks, but rust, sand and oil stink just ain't my thing.

Thanks to Whip for the ride down and back.  A fine gentleman to share the highway with.  Thanks a TON to Curtis and Gary for working far too hard to make the whole hunt go.  Also, a salute for Andy and Rob for braving the dangers of international air transport to be with us in Texas.

Stories will unfold here over the next week or so. This year I am an observer, and I look forward to hearing them again as much as the rest of you do hearing them for the first time.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©