INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Never give up! (Conclusion- pg 4)  (Read 7311 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Never give up! (Conclusion- pg 4)
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Matt those look like hereford tracks!!  :eek:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Typical...   :campfire:
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
OK, on with the story! :

Well, I guess the best place to start would be at the beginning, for we cannot have an end without one nor a story for that matter. A beginning aids in the recognition of progress and maturity.  It is something that we, at times, lose sight of in looking too far to the future, to far off lands and animals of mythical porportions and to skills and experience not yet earned through the gauntlet of time and perseverence. And yet there is much excitement in these beginnings of ours, and much necessity. To be able to look ahead and dream of what may someday come is a delight in itself. How many children find themselves wishing they were grown up and how many grown ups wish they were kids again. There is a time for everything, beginning and end.  And so it is that we need this beginning not only to show us where we come from, but also where we are and perhaps aid our recognition and willing anticipation of what may lay ahead.  

But even before this beginning perhaps, for the sake of completeness, some background information is in order here. I began this journey down the traditional archery path some four years ago with the inspiration to build my first bow.  I can no longer recall the precise motivation behind this, only that it was there and I was as determined as a bloodhound to build myself a durable hunting bow.  And so I set out to learn all there was to the bowyer's craft.  Nieve might be the proper word for my attitude here.  Nonetheless I did succeed in some regard of building what, in some ways, resembled a bow.  In fact, I still have this bow; a rawhide patched, mangled board bow from a maple board.  I have come a long way in the bowbuilding arena since then graduating to rawhide, wood, and sturgeon skin backed bows, recurves, selfbows, and now my current interest of bamboo backed osage bows of various profile and material.  Regardless, I unmistakeably have a long way to go! My mother always told me the most important thing she learned in college was not how much she learned, but how little she really knew.  So too have I found these words to ring true in my own bowbuilding, later hunting pursuits, and life itself.  

-  I'll bet you didn't expect it to start like this!    ;)     All in due time my friends. More to come!
-  I can't get the videos I shot to load onto photobucket. The file size might be a little too big for it.  Does anyone know where else I could load them up for you guys?  Thanks Gang, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Just kidding, that was actually a good read.

The story and vids should be well worth the wait!!

Webshots might work
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »
:banghead:     :banghead:    :banghead:    :campfire:

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
...soon I found out how little I knew about bowhunting.  The next three years of bowhunting contained within it many close calls, a few dissapointments, and a large influx of knowledge only gained through experience.  The first season hunting with one of my bows I had a 15 yard shot on a doe... missed her by about 5 feet. I left the woods feeling happier than I ever did killing deer with the rifle.  After that it was confirmed that bowhunting for me from then on would be stick and string only.  As time went on my bows gained performance and I began to come closer to my goal of a deer with the stick and string.  Unfortunately each of the next two years I hit deer that I was unable to find the second of which had complete broadhead penetration.  I was really doubting my abilities coming into this season.  But hope still reined and my love of the hunt kept me out in the woods.  

This past early bow season has been a tough one to say the least.  I was fortunate enough to log countless hours in the woods, yet never got a decent shot opportunity during this time.  And so gun season ran it's course(gun seasonS to be more precise) and I got revved back up for the annual late season swamp hunt I do with a buddy of mine every year.  We scouted, set up blinds, baited, and planned for what we hoped would be another good late season hunt.  

And so the hunt began.  Several nights were action packed including a shot opportunity on a doe that resulted in a miss.  I was pretty bummed after that, but resolved to hold out till the end not going out without a fight.  I had hunted hard the whole season and I was not about to quit.  I headed back out to my blind for another afternoon sit.  Here is a view of it from the bait pile:

And from the blind to the bait pile:

Little would I know I would be given yet another chance...now if I could just get this darn video loaded!

Good night Gang! More tomorrow.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Great writting Mike!  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :D      :)    :campfire:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
your working to hard mate!
out with it  :readit:    :biglaugh:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
It amazes me all the talented writers that we have here on Trad Gang. Great story so far Mike, looking forward to the rest. Glenn
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
:readit:    :saywhat:    :campfire:

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
YEAH,great writing, BUT someone should go up there and get this guy on the ball, at 71 winters i may not get to see a picture, some body go up there and "jerk a knot in his tail"
 that will get him going  :knothead:    :knothead:

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
So far so good!! and it sounds like it's gonna get better.  Congrats on not giving up!!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Having hunted just about every day for over a week to no avail began to wear on my spirit. That nasty, greedy little bugger "pessimism" was starting to creep into my head.  "Oh, I'm not gonna get anything anyway. Might as well hang 'er up for the year."  Pessimism sure can be an alluring little guy. To the one affected he has such an esoteric method of sneaking in and causing havoc in so many ways.  Mostly he is very effective at causing us to forget, to forget the good times with good friends, the joy of experiencing creation and ourselves at our best.  Of course an overzealous optimism can lead to a similar effect when those expectations do not reach fruition.  I began to realize how much emphasis I was placing on killing a deer and how much I expected it instead of enjoying the hunt, working hard, and letting come what may.

I needed a break for a day and I find it difficult to come to a better remedy to this malady than to take a day out stump shooting and roving on public land.  Oh, and what a cure it can be to the late season swamp blues!  I left the woods that evening refreshed and rejuvenated for the coming last few days of the season...and quite the last days they were...  

More this evening..with video if I can get it to work!

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
ZZZzzzZzzzzzzzzzZ.......   ;)    :campfire:

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
It was a cold and windy afternoon with wind gusts in the 30mph range and temps in the twenties. I knew the sit was going to be cold, but I was not going to let that stop me, especially with the wind direction being perfect.  In addition, the high winds would help to cover my entry to the blind seeing as the deer bed as close as 100 yards from the blind.  I also felt that the deer would also be moving earlier because of the bad weather. So I headed out for the afternoon sit.  

The way my blind had been set up allowed me to remain behind a stump and lean over periodically to check the bait, then sit back to wait some more. Really was very effective!  I hope from the pictures it is evident that I really can only shoot one direction out of the blind through a small opening.  I was soon to find out how effective and thorough this blind aided in concealment.

As I sat in the prescence of my thoughts with a hot cup of tea to warm my bones on this cold windy day I took my periodic check of the baitpile and area behind it...There's a deer!!  And another one...and another one!  There about 30-40 yards behind the bait pile were three does making there way slowly my direction.  I could tell they were tense checking the wind and looking all around every few seconds. My heart began to race as the deer came closer and closer, anticipation filling my veins with adrenaline, that serum oh so exciting!   I slowly began to prepare myself trying ever so desperately to calm my pulsing body.  In order to shoot more freely I drape a jacket around my back and slip it off when ready to shoot.  I ever so slowly let it fall behind me.  

I leaned over again to check the deers' progress.  It took me a minute to pick them up again...10-12 yards from my blind to the left side! Again, they checked around them from all directions looking for signs of danger, but none would be found of the predator not 15 yards from them.  Slowly, one of the does came to the baitpile.  I turned on the small camera I had with me and prepared myself to shoot.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3063287850102827975vdJuuJ?vhost=good-times    

-Unfortunately, the camera battery died shortly before I took my shot...sorry.  

I finally calmed my nerves enough that I felt comfortable to shoot.  I slowly drew back thinking in my mind "Pick a spot dummy!  Pick a spot!"  My eyes seemingly burned a hole in the small patch of hair covering her heart.  I reached full draw and the string slipped from my fingers.  The razor sharp zwickey tipped arrow was on it's way.  The draw felt right, the release felt right.  A split second later I heard a ka-thunk and the deer spooked to about 80 yards out and looked back to try to see what caused that funny noise.  

"Did I hit her?"  I thought to myself.  I kept replaying the shot over and over in my mind. In my sinking heart I knew I missed.  She was wired up and jumped the string at the shot resulting in a miss just over her back. The ka-thunk was the resounding noise of my arrow striking crisp snow, then the tree trunk beneath it. I could also still see the deer all of which remained standing confirming my miss.  The deer apparently did not know what the source of the sound was and were actually joined by even more deer from the same direction!!!

This whole group of about 5 or 6 deer  began to all slowly come back to the bait!!!!!  By this time I have lost track of which deer was which and it was now past shooting hours.  I stood up in the blind(yes, stood up!) and was surprised to see a doe about 10 yards away coming in from the left just like the others had done.  All the deer were oblivious to my prescence.  It really is a testament to the effectiveness of a properly constructed blind(These deer spook immediately if they see you walking around).  I thought "Oh man, now they're just mocking me" as a two does began to feed at the bait.  But then I thought "Enjoy it for what it is, a gift!" So, I sat and enjoyed them for about a half hour before scaring them off.  

I went out and retrieved my arrow confirming my miss. From the angle and placement the shot looked absolutely dead on, but she must have just jumped it enough to miss her. I walked back to the car a bit bummed again, yet excited and thankful to have seen so many deer.  

In discussing it with my buddy it was decided to leave the blind for a few days to let the deer get used to it again and try it again Sunday, the last day of the season.  Little did I know Sunday would become a day that I will never forget...
  Here's a couple more pictures to make it a bit more real:

Here's my good friend I'm hunting with:

And a couple of the peace in the swamp after a snowfall:

The best is yet to come guys!  More of the story, pics and videos on the way!  Good night Gang, Matt

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
this is cool.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 03:31:00 AM »
awesome!   :thumbsup:  
beautiful area with all that snow around.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 05:20:00 AM »
You are a truly talented writer...I am thoroughly enjoying this.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
"Patience, patience, patience!" I kept telling myself those last days of the season, "there's only a few more days left!"  Patience sure seems to be one of the more difficult virtues for me to attain and keep hold of, but it would prove to pay off for me in the end...

I continued to hunt each of the next two days in other spots, but my mind was always on Sunday, the day when I could get back in THE blind, the last day of the WI deer season, the last day of the year to complete my goal. I saw nothing these other two days. Even though I gave it an honest effort and put my time in I was not blessed with any other deer sightings these days.  The day I had been waiting for had now come.

A sudden warm front had blown in on Saturday evening leaving Wisconsin in a persistent dense hanging fog with temperatures unseasonably warm (in the 40's). Luckily, I had managed to put that little bugger pessimism in his place and I was looking forward to the last day of the season, come what may.  I decide I was not going to end the season with my tail between my legs, but go out there and just enjoy this last day deer or no deer.  I took the drive out to the swamp and arrived in the early afternoon.  As I had done so many times before I loaded all my gear up and took the half mile walk in to my blind.  I took my time this day making sure to avoid the unnatural sounds of my five gallon bucket filled with two gallons of corn from clanging against brush. I soon arrived at my blind to see all the snow melted off it.  I went out stealthily and placed the corn I had brought in the customary place offering me a clear shot.  I then climbed back in and set up in the blind for the night's sit.

For some reason I really felt at peace this day with whatever would come.  I'm sure it was no coincidence it was the feast of the epiphany that day. It would soon become a sort of epiphany and no doubt a blessing for me.

The blind felt so familiar just then, a place of so much potential and hopes.  Nothing was going to stop me from having a good afternoon.  I got everything settled in the blind, the camera set up, I said my daily rosary and drank my nice warm tea and began to soak the day in. The unseasonably warm weather was actually a welcome respite from the bitter cold and winds common to this time of year.  Feeling pretty good now I reached in my pack to pull out my copy of Dean Torges' "Hunting the Osage Bow" to freshen up on some bow finishing tips.  I have found reading to be a good way to pass the time on stand and keep me sharp for when the moment of truth comes. Without it I get drawn in to a haze of my daydreams and sometimes miss opportunities.

Again, just as I did a few days previous I would periodically avert my eyes from the pages and check the bait for deer, then return them for more reading.  "That dye job sure sounds like it would work well.  I'm going to have to try that on the next one" I thought to myself while reading the words on the glissening white pages in such contrast with the dreary, wet, drizzly, foggy swamp surrounding me.  I again leaned over, my eyes averted from the pages, to check the bait so enticing to winter hardened deer.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
There!!  Coming out of the fog like a dream were two does on a direct path for the bait.  My heart began to beat in that delightful throb I am so fond of, the adrenaline rush reaching the tips of my ears flowing down to my toes like a cold ocean spray.  I sat back confident in the path of the deer and began a futile attempt at calming myself.  Oh, do I love that feeling!

I slowly began to close my book and set it in the snow not caring if it got wet.  My complete attention was now on the two deer directly in front of me.  I slid the jacket from my shoulders and let it fall behind me.  The bow hanging from it's appointed stick now was held firmly in my hand. I reached for the camera to switch it on.

I wish I could play you all the video now, but I just can't get the darn thing to load...it's just too big.  Errrr!    :mad:      :mad:      :(    

The first deer came right in to the bait and began to feed.  The other began to circle and try to pry the other doe away.  The first doe then proceeded to chase the other one off a little ways and returned to feed at the bait.  The opportunity I had been waiting for was now presenting itself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©