INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Never give up! (Conclusion- pg 4)  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Never give up! (Conclusion- pg 4)
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
:campfire:
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
The draw began to come as I focused on a spot covering her vitals.  Focusing on my form I reached my anchor, dug it in, and released.  The broadhead tipped arrow was on it's way.  

There is such hope in an arrow in flight!  I watched as my arrow streaked towards the deer flying just as I had hoped...almost.  As the arrow neared the deer somehow it went right between the deer's legs just below the chest.  "Oh crud, not again!" I thought to myself as the doe trotted off.  But by the body language of the deer it wasn't really sure what had scared it.  She stopped about 30 yards from the bait and STARTED COMING BACK IN!!!!  "I'm gonna get another shot...awesome!"  

As the deer began to work it's way back in to the bait I slowly grabbed and nocked the only other arrow I brought.  I knew this was going to be my last chance.  I said to myself "quite your worrying about missing.  Just shoot like you normally do.  Forget the pressure, just shoot!"  A sudden relaxation came over me as I began to settle down and loosen up.  In worrying so much about missing or wounding I failed to realize one of the keys to accurate shooting; confidence.  Without it I was doomed to failure.  And so at that moment I began to worry less about missing and more about giving it my best.  

The deer arrived back at the bait still wondering what just happened to her, but drawn to the nutritious corn.  She began again to feed.  Now in a more relaxed state I began to increase tension on the bowstring.  My good old draw came back and I let the ole two blade loose propelled toward it's intended target.  There was a slight hindrance to the forward movement as my top limb hit a log which suddenly gained my attention for a split second.  I reaverted my eyes to see my arrow headed right for the deer, the nock end careening a bit.  

Yes!!!!    The razor sharp zwickey tipped arrow strikes the doe and she takes off with her tail down.  She's hurtin' bad. However, I did not see precisely where the arrow entered.  Shot placement was uncertain.

Then came the shakes, the ones I hope never go away after an experience like this.  I am jacked up to say the least.  A guy doesn't know what to do with himself at a moment like this.  They say to wait 30 minutes to look...well, that wasn't gonna happen.  I twisted and turned inside that blind for 15 minutes before I just couldn't take it anymore.  I got out to take a look to see if I had a good hit.  This is what I found:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3094113400102827975xfSGVu?vhost=good-times  

I waited my 10 grueling minutes and slowly took up the trail.  This is what I found:

And a little bit further...

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Nce story so far.
Decent looking blood trail but that deer with the tail down isn't a sign I like to see.

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
Awesome story Matt!
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »
I love your story so far...can't wait for the finish!!!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Alright guys, I'll try to finish her up here tonight:

Right after I snapped the last photo from above I see a deer running up ahead of me.  I think to myself "Oh no, I hope it isn't the same one I shot."  My heart sank a bit.  As I came out to take a look I found two sets of fresh tracks in the area the deer ran through.   I couldn't be sure it was the same deer as there was another fresh set of tracks running right beside it...both of them running.  I decided  to slowly follow the trail a bit longer.  

By this time it was pitch black out and I had trailed the deer for about 100 yards...blood was still very good.  I took another step and heard ahead of me the sound of footsteps walking away.  I knew if that was my deer it was hurting pretty bad to not run.  I decided to stay put and call a friend to get a weather report for the coming night.  The forecast was for rain  at about 5 in the morning...not good to come back.  I would  stay out there as long as it takes to find this deer.  I sat in that spot for another 30 minutes and decided to give this deer more time.  I headed back out the 300 yards to the main trail to get the sled and alleviate some of the tension of waiting on the deer.  I took my time walking out.  I grabbed the sled, shed some gear and headed back in.  I would be out there all night if I had to!  I was not going to give up on this deer!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
I began to pray.  Actually I was praying the whole time, mostly for the deer's sake.   I very much have a problem with an animal suffering unneccessarily because of me and it weighed on me heavily.  No one wants to see that. You always hear the horror stories of deer bleeding all over the place, then running for miles.  I didn't want to happen to me, but more importantly to that deer.

Upon reaching the area where I stopped last time I dropped the sled and collected my thoughts for a moment.  I couldn't help but remember those other deer I had lost and how I lost so much sleep over them.  I said another prayer and headed out further into the swamp. Within a couple steps I found myself in some very tight areas following this blood trail. About 50 yards in, "There, is that...wha...yes!!!!...there it is!!!!!Oh, there it is!!!"   Oh, the emotions that ran over me at that moment could not be counted on a calculator.  What a feeling, what a rush of thankfullness, joy, release, happiness yet tempered by the sadness for having taken a life. Oh, what a paradox it is!   I have never had a feeling such as this in my life!  

I kneeled next to the doe for a while and said a prayer of thanks for allowing the deer to die so quickly.  I don't know if I have ever been happier than at this moment. I was almost overcome with joy!  After countless hours in the woods over three years I had finally connected.  Oh, I can hardly put it into words!   I called all those who had been rooting for me and I know they could tell by my voice that I was emotional.  Oh, and how great it is to be able to share that with others and have them share in it!  I could hear the excitement in their voices.  It sure is a blessing to have those around you who join in the experience with you.  I can sure tell you guys one thing...I am never giving traditional bowhunting up...NEVER! It could have been the biggest deer in the world right then and I couldn't have been any happier! And the last hour of the last day of the season!  Oh, what a day!

Here now, I can share the pictures that I have been waiting to post:

Here is the entry hole:

I ended up clipping the rear of one lung, sliced the diaphragm, and the liver.  I certainly wouldn't have wanted it any further back!  I was finally able to get my broadheads truly razor sharp and it really paid off big time for me!  I ended up getting a complete passthrough!!  Thanks for the sharpening tips Charlie!

And finally, here is the picture I've been wanting to take for years!

Hey, thanks for all those who took the long ride and put up with my writing all this time.  I hope it was worth it! It's hard not to talk about something so special to me!   Take care everyone, Matt Grode

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:  

Great post too, I could almost feel your adrenaline!!!!!  Thanks for sharing

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Congratulations Matt!!!  The season ain't over 'til it's over.  Great job on sticking with the trail, too.  You'll remember this one forever.     :bigsmyl:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
It was well worth the wait. Congrats!
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
Super story Matt!  Good on'ya!  You have a gift for writing - putting in perfect words what so many of us have felt and thrive upon.  Thanks for the great tale.

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
This was great!
Thanks for sharing and congratulations   :clapper:
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 03:24:00 AM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:    :goldtooth:

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 04:05:00 AM »
really nice and well presented. I am happy for you; you have more experiences to follow   :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 04:11:00 AM »
Congrats Matt! Great story and great writting! Thanks for sharing!    :bigsmyl:    ;)
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
Congrats!!! That was cool    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »
Well done-both the story and the conclusion!! Way to stick with the trail.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Congratulations on the nice deer and on the good decisions you made after the shot. Nice bit of hunting  :thumbsup: . Thanks for taking us along.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
well done Matt, you worked hard for that and you deserved to get her!  :thumbsup:  good hunting and you'v got a lot to take into next season!
keep well Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
Congratulations Matt! I have really enjoyed following along with the story. Any animal taken with a bow is a trophy.

RayMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©