INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 7th Age and the Rowan boys  (Read 5609 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 7th Age and the Rowan boys
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Here's the gang enjoying dinner on the first night.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
Danny and I headed out on day 2 and hunted most of the day looking at diffrent areas that we had seen sign the day before. It was looking like the animals were moving late in the evening or at night. Around 5:30 in the afternoon we went to a place that we had seen sign and found a nice group of hogs coming down the road. We got setup and as they approached we got ready when the lead sow let out her "let's get the heck outta here" grunt and they were gone.
We then split up in the area and decided to hunt 2 water tanks to see if more would come in.
As the evening came to a close we were both eagerly awaiting tomorrow to get back after it.
I couldn't help but stand in awe and just gaze at the beautiful sunset as we headed out.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
We got back in camp and discussed the plans for the next day and found out that some of the others had scored. It was looking like a knife from Robtatoo was going to get a workout.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
We headed out the next day and found the real night hunter waiting on us.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
We finished out that day and the rest of the hunt with a couple of stalks but as Gary said earlier we were not able to make the metal meet the meat. I missed a coyote due to pushing the shot in a hurry thinking it was getting ready to bolt since it spotted me as I was drawing. I shot just over it's back. as the hunt came to a close Danny and I were with Curtis and went to Lucky 13 windmill. Once again the good Lord graced us with his handy work of painting the sky. Not a better picture could have been painted to close out this hunt.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
As I have said in previous posts. Sure I love to harvest the game that I am hunting, but it's not about the harvest. It's about getting the opportunity to hunt with friends and the chance to make new ones. Being able to get away from the rush of the work week and just enjoy the common bond that we bow hunters share.
To me this was one of the most successful hunts I have been on. Others got javies. Cheryl and Wes are now going home to Alabama and going to get some Trad bows to use since they found them much more fun to shoot. I have made a couple of new friends, had a good laugh or two with Curtis till our sides hurt. It don't get no better than this.

Ted, the javies and hogs are there waiting on you all. Mr. Gary, you have raised yourself a wonderful son there that has a TOP NOTCH outfit. I tip my hat to you sir.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »
CJ, It sounds like you had a wonderful hunt bud!

"Mr. Gary, You have raised yourself a wonderful son there that has a top notch outfit. I tip my hat to you sir"

.....Very,very true    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
sounds like you guys had a great time! thanks for sharing some of those pics! really amazing.

truly looking forward to hunting over there in feb.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
Wow, those photos are professional photo-journalist quality, very very nice!! Thank you for taking the time to prepare and post them.

Also, Thanks for the kind words regarding Curtis from all, he's certainly one to be proud of!

Very glad you could make the hunt and I'm sure sorry I couldn't. Really wanted to meet and spend some time with all of you.

POP
If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
^This is Danny on my bros log on.

CJ, it was my pleasure to hunt with you as well. A better camp with better campmates could not be asked for.

As Bubba and I pulled into camp, we met Curtis and it was like we had known each other for years. A finer man there never was. A wealth of knowledge and just a down to earth guy. As we sat around camp in the evenings and told stories I have to say my sides hurt from the laughter and good times.

Vance, we ate very well, First night we had seafood cumbo and boudan,next night we had some good chili and the last night we had steaks grilled on the bar b que.

To imbelish on Cj's story. He and I hunted together the entire trip and had a blast. The first evening ended with him making a shot on a Jack . He hit it but it did not go down so we followed it for a while till he made the killing shot. I should not tell this on my self but it is funny, While walking back to the truck  all of a sudden Cj says "stop, what is that on the other road,looks like a javi". It was dark but ya could still see a bit and yes it was moving and looked like a javi with his head down. CJ moved forward to get to the road intersection to get a better look. The shape kept moving and I grew impatient and took a shot and center punched it and sparks flew. LOL, I had just killed a creasote bush moving with the wind. Broke my Gold tip tipped with a Magnum I and never found the head,LOL, what a hoot.

We did not see much movement on the morning hunts, which confused Curtis as he had always had the most game moving in the mornings with the evenings being unproductive on this ranch.

The second evening we did have the hogs coming up the road that we had an opportunity at. Cj and I were hunkered down behind a couple of bushes about 15 or 20 yards apart. The plan was, since I was in the lead to let the first hog pass and keep an eye on each other so that when the lead hog got to him we would both shoot and try and get two hogs. A little red sow was leading the sounder ot 6 adults and 8 or 10 shoats, she got by me and a large black sow was broadside at 10 yards, but I was pinned down as the one behind her was staring a hole in me. As the one looking at me finaly put her head down I started my draw and heard the red sow grunt and they immediately departed the area. What a rush.

Back at camp we found that three javis were down.

Next day Cj got a stalk on a javi but the wind changed and they left with no shot offered. Bubba was covered up with game and did put an arrow through a large boar, will leave the story to him.

The last evening I got a stalk on a Javi, but when in positioon they were gone, Curtis left me there in hopes they would come back out to the road, no such luck.

While I took no game on this trip it was still a success and I had a blast. I was very pleased that my brother was successful.

Curtis, my friend, I cannot wait to come hunt with you again.CJ, we will share a camp together again.

Danny(on brothers log on)
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
Congrats guys!
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Well as Danny and CJ related earlier. We made it to camp and met Curtis and as said, not a finer man have I met. His knowldege of the game and area was extensive. After settling in, he took us around to show us the area. at #12, we saw a couple of hogs.

Danny and CJ decided to hunt this area later so we went back to camp for a bite.
When we went back out I decided to hunt a water hole we had found earlier. I set up my pop up and waited the evening out.

Lots of cardnals, blue quail, doves and other birds as well as a burrowing owl visited, but no hogs or javies. However I was having a blast. I went back to camp and we enjoyed a wonderful meal and great story telling.

"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
The next morning I sat the water hole again, but again no javies or hogs.

That evening I rode around with Curtis and the other two people in camp. Wes and his girl friend Cheryl. Great folks.
 We drove around and decided to go to the big ranch. About 4 pm we saw some javies and decided to stalk them. We spread out and slowly aproached them hunkered under a tree. I was the closest and got to 20 yrds. I had one broadside and just as I drew to anchor point he squealed and ran forward. I let down and snuck closer. They busted us and flushed.
 One stoped at 20 yrads and I drew and let fly only to watch my arrow go over his back. They really busted out then. Two running right for me and me with no more arrows. What a rush. We went back to the truck with one arrow donated to the brush.
Curtis decided we need to hunt the area hard, so we did and as we circled around to the back road two javies ran across in front, but they were not stopping.
 We turned the corner an saw three more down the road. They came to the road and started feeding. Curtis and Wes got out to try a stalk. Cheryl and I stayed in the truck and watched the show. They circled around and snuck in on the three javies.

Wes got in to 20 yards and Curtis was vidieoing the hunt. Wes drew and loosed an arrow, but missed. The javies scattered, but came back out in a couple of minuiets. Wes drew again and loosed another arrow, punching one javie. Acouple of minuiets, to our surprise they came right back.
Wes punched another and he was down in a few seconds. Perfect heart shot. The other Javie came back out. Curtis and Wes came back to the truck and I said I am going for the other one.
 Curtis said he would film my hunt as well. We snuck down to get in position I got to 15 yrads and waited for my chance. He turned his head and I drew, then I loosed the arrow and watched it fly to the mark. I center punched him. He ran a few yards and stopped. We eased back to the truck to let him lay down. We went back in a few minuiets and mine and Wes's first one tried to get up, but two well placed arrows anchored them down. What a great hunt.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
A couple af pics.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
The next morning I went back to the big ranch with no game seen. Danny and CJ went back to 12, but no game seen there either.

That evening I sat watching the road on the big ranch again. I got three stalks on javies, but for one reason or another never got a shot.

Just at sundown, I heard pigs grunting, so I grunted back and they came in. A big white sow with about 15 little piggies and a big black boar. They were 25  yards out when I loosed an arrow only to watch it lad in front and skip under the boar. Rushed it, rats I figured that was it, but to my surprise the came right at me. I had one of the little piggies 5 ft from me and I guess mamma wanted to pick him up. They crossed broadside at 15 yards. I grunted and the boar stopped. I drew and let the arrow go and watched it bury up to the fletch in his side. They scooted out in a hurry. By this time it was dark. I went back to camp and anxiously awaited the morning to come back to track. Danny and CJ came to help track at 9:30, I had a flat and had to go to Crane and get it fixed. I got back at 10:30 and they had tracke him about 100 yrds. They found the arrow abot 45 yards in and it was covered in blood with lots of blodd on the ground. We figured we would find him soon. But, he was still running at 150 yrds of hard trailing as the blood sign was few and far between. It was 12:00 noon, so we decided to go to camp and eat. We marked last blood and Curtis came back with me to try and find my pig. The man is the best tracker I have ever seen. He was on the trail quickly and we followed it for another 300 yards till he crossed under a fence. They blood had all but stopped and the boar was still running and I agreed with Curtis that I must have hit high without getting a vital. I was sad, but glad the animal would probably live. Curtis estimated his weight from the tracks at 300 lbs.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
The next morning was uneventful, but we decided to stay for another hunt that evening, I went back to the same place and set up on the pad I had shot the boar from. Right at sundown I had four javies come in to about 25 yards out. I was shaking like a leaf from excitement and when I shot I rushed it and watched in horror as it bounced in front of them and sailed over the back of the one I had shot at. I went to retrive my arrow and they were right there in the brush around me I woofed and them and one stepped out, but it was too dark to see where to shoot, so rather than take a chance at wounding him I did not shoot, even though he was only 10 yards away, I did not feel comfortable with the shot.

This was my first hunt for javies, but I assure you it will not be my last. They are so much fun and I will definatly come back to hunt with Curtis again. Great guys in camp made it even better. This will go down as a hunt of a lifetime for me with great memories.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Great story Donny and a great hunt to boot, doesn't get much better than that.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Yellow Owl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Good job guys. Having hunted with Curtis back in October I can totally see why people love hunting javies and hogs. Curtis also knows his stuff.

That area of Texas is also pretty "cool" and has lots of wildlife. Can't wait to go back.

Kris
Traditional Bowhunters of B.C.
Wild Sheep Society of B.C.
B.C. Wildlife Federation

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
BTW, I hunted with my new to me Cheyene on this hunt and I am hooked. Great little bow for working in the brush and fast and quiet. 56" amo 54# @ 27". I may just have to sell all my other bows and just keep my Cheyene and Shawnee. LOL NOT!!

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
Here is a picture of the hero's of the hunt with Curtis having fun with them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©