3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BBO Lumber..Help! ASAP!  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
BBO Lumber..Help! ASAP!
« on: February 01, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
I just bought a couple 7/8" osage boards 96" long on ebay. I need to have them cut for shipping. If I cut them 70-72", it wastes about 2 feet. If I cut them at 60", it leaves 36" ends that could be spliced. My question is, is 60" long enough for a BBO. These will be my first BBO attempts and I am not sure I should push the envelope that hard with my first try. Any advise on how I should cut them?
Thanks!

Steve

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BBO Lumber..Help! ASAP!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
Cut them 64" and you can but joint the 32" pieces later and build on the same form (jig).  That is what I would do.  If you draw over 30", just cut them 68" and use the scraps for handles and such.

What design are you building for your first try????
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
Thanks Brian.... I don't have a design picked out. I've got Deans's HBBO DVD and am working off that, but his design in the video may be longer. Do you have a design suggestion? I draw around 28 so is 64" a reasonable length?

Steve

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
If you build his R/D model it will be fine and give you a 63" AMO bow.  I am no expert though.  Hopefully Wingnut or Bert will chime in soon.  They know a WHOLE lot more than me.

IT IS FUN BTW!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
I don't like really short bow unless they bend in the handle.  I'd go for a minimum 62" NTN bow which mean you need 64" long belly cores.  That leaves you 32" billets.  That'll give you a max 58" spliced core unless you also splice a 4" handle in there.  That is doable.  

IMO, get your first bow and then figure out the spliced one later.  I'm assuming you got a good deal or you would just buy bow wood from Wingnut or someone so you likely aren't out much if you lose the billets.  You always need handle wood and such anyways.  If you want a 66" bow, get 'em cut to 68" and move on.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
I have found that is better to use 36" slats on BBOs and splice sister billets.  If you can get a good look at the boards have them cut the best sections in 36" lengths.  It's better to get a couple great bows then 3-4 average ones.  Or worse yet have them fail.

The rest of the board can be used for powerlams and handles.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi Gang,
I would cut them at 62" that would leave you 34", if you splice the 34" pieces that would give you a 60" board, plenty long for another 58" bow.
I know CC is partial to the tri-lam design,as am I.
I am just glueing the Boo on a 58" today, walnut core and O'sage belly.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Bert

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I took the plunge on the lumber realizing I may get nothing out of them. With shipping I'll have about $40 into two 7/8" x 5-1/2 x 96" boards whihch should yield enough firewood to practice on 4 bows/board I hope. Once I learn how to use the tools, I'll probably get more dependable wood from one of the fine folks on tradgang.

I don't have good pics of the boards so I don't know if they are bias, quartersawn or what. I'll keep ya's posted. Thanks again for your advice everyone.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Steve, I think you should have enough wood there for at least six bows.
Take your time and have fun with it, lots of good info on this site to help you along.
Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Regards, Bert

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©