INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lurkin Lenny got his Lion  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lurkin Lenny got his Lion
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Way to go Lenny!  I'm real happy for ya bud.  Wish I could have been in on it. Lookin forward to the story...and dont be modest...tell us how awesome you are...type damn it, type.  :bigsmyl:

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
congrats!! great looking lion!
  :bigsmyl:    :clapper:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
Congrats!

Dennis

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Way to go Lenny!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
Great cat what a Christmas present!

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
WOW what a CAT!Congrats!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
Thats a monster.congrats
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Done us proud Lenny! Great cat my friend. Now, where is the story?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Hear kitty kitty kitty...Wow that is a great cat! Congrats!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Is Lenny a real little guy or something?  That cat looks huge!  :bigsmyl:    ;)  
Congratulations - Looking forward to the story!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Hey Whip...yeah, that Lenny is a little guy.   That cat coulda had him for an appetizer, it looks  like!   Congrats, and Merry Christmas Lenny....I know you've been getting after them kitties for a  few years now.   Way to go, bud!    Now  tell  us the  story!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Awesome cat Lenny, congrats!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
lloks like a great cat cant wait!!
St. Joe River Bows

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
I taught I saw a putty cat  :thumbsup:

Offline Lenny Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Now here's the story as I remember it.
   Yeah it was another fine morning in the mountains of Southwest Montana.  I met up with John the houndsman at 4 am in great tracking conditions, due to  6 inches of powder from the day before.  Since we were the first on the scene that morning we elected to check out a few canyons we could drive through before returning to one of our  favorite spots where we started hiking at 5:30.  With flashlight in hand and longbow on back I took the lead with Johns two veteran dogs, Spike and Baxter.  John was bringing up the rear with three new pups who had never been on a track or off the leash.  At about 6:30 I came across a fresh lion track.  The dogs didn’t react as quickly as the usually do but as I stood there examining the prints both dogs went wild. With in minutes John and the three pups had caught up and the mountains were echoing with hound music.
   We got the dogs tied up so we could study the track.  It was a good size track coming down out of some steep cliffs, crossing our path and heading south.  As it started to get light, John let Spike and Baxter loose. The hounds generally don’t bark much on the trail, they wait until they have the cat treed or at bay before they let loose. So after letting the big dogs go we set out with the pups on lead to follow the tracks.  After about twenty minutes heading south we heard the dogs choppy tree barks coming from high in the cliff to the north.  After analyzing the situation we agreed that the cat must have been at bay atop the cliffs to our north so we abandoned the tracks and headed towards the music.  Nearing the base of the cliffs we cut the lion track again with dogs in pursuit. At this point I had my doubts about being able to get to the action at the top of the cliffs.  John assured me that the cat can’t go anywhere the dogs couldn’t follow. So the question was, “Can I go anywhere a dog can go?” . . . We’ll see!  At that  point we let the three pups of leash to join the chase. They took to the trail like ducks to water and ten minutes later we heard the young voices added to the choir.  
    Soon I found myself about halfway up and around the cliffs, on all fours, gasping for air, with legs trembling. I had to stop and take a brake with John already fifty yards ahead of me.  That was the last I saw of him until I caught up to the action. Arriving on the scene I saw John and all five dogs at the base of a fir tree.  Among the chorus of hound music I heard John say, “Lenny, he’s bigger than we thought!  He’s a big tom with a pumpkin head!”.  

Gotta run to the taxidermist but I'll give ya the rest of the story tonight.

-Lenny the Lurker

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Did you get him, did you get him? Com'on Lenny lets have the rest of the story.  :)
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
"Gotta run to the taxidermist but I'll give ya the rest of the story tonight."

And now you know...the REST of the story!
Great storytelling here, I am feeling the cold air in my lungs and hearing the hounds! MORE!!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Nice!
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Well, well, well. Fellin a little like I got stood up for the prom. Taxidermysmermy, MY LORD Lenny!!!!!!!!!! Don't make me call your cell phone.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
It appears Lenny needs to quit lurking all the time and practice his typing with posting more often:    :biglaugh:    I wasn't on this hunt with Lenny and John because I had been checking for tracks in a different drainage that morning.  Doug and I were delivering Christmas baskets to some of the landowners who let me hunt their property when we received the call from Lenny so we went over to his house then took some pictures.  Lenny has been hunting lions seriously for three years and has turned down numerous opportunities waiting for a nice one.  I think the waiting paid off.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©