INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pryor Sheep Hunt Update... 11/17/07  (Read 10633 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Pryor Sheep Hunt Update... 11/17/07
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Well first I’ve gotta say a big thank you to Walt and Leo for all the help, Walt’s tent was a real pleasure since I was planning on using my vehicle and small backpack tent. I think Leo is working harder than I am on this hunt. They are both first class friends to have around!

Well as many of you know my first day on the hunt was last Saturday the 29th of Sept. It started with a bang when Walt and I drove into the Bighorn National Rec Area and there were five rams standing on the side of the road before we even got to the camping areas. We actually got out of the rigs and walked up within mere feet of a legal ram, my heart was pounding so hard I’m not sure I could have hit him if I’d tried    ;)     This definitely got the ol blood pumping, I think it was the next day before my pulse returned to normal    ;)     I’ve caught a lot of grief for passing this little 5 year old guy but there was no way I could shoot him right there on the side of the road.

We finally drove off and left them alone thinking we were gonna have to part the rams with our bows    ;)     Little did I know….
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pryor Sheep Hunt Update... 11/17/07
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Been rather anti-climactic after how long you've waited Doug and besides, we've been waiting for your story since you got the tag.    :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Walt, Leo, and Silas, (Leo’s and now My Buddy) spent the next couple days glassing our rears off. We spotted what seemed like hundreds of these ewes and lambs with an occasional young ram but no more mature rams.

I worked over the country from the lake shore to the highest points of East Pryor over the next seven days with no rams. I spent one night spike camped at 8600’ and glassed till dark that night and back at it at daylight the next morning till a blizzard drove me off the mountain. By the way this is considered desert country where it seldom rains, don’t believe it   ;)    It rained I think five or six days this last week. Everything I had was wet and my common sense was telling me it was time to back up and punt.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Leo had rounded up the use of a boat so we decided to give the water a try as we’d heard several people talk about seeing rams from the water. The kicker is that on 99.9% of the lake shore it’s from a hundred to several hundred feet climb out of the canyon. Yep, this is some incredible country, the more time I spend here the more I find I’m sure falling in love with it. We spent yesterday running up the lake both directions from the ramp but no sheep and maybe only two places where it was feasible to climb out. Another strike-out but it’s all a learning experience….

We decided to hit one other area several miles to the West this morning but the greasy bentonite clay roads put the squelch on that idea. I think my Explorer weighed 700 or 800 pounds extra by the time we got back on a hard surface again.

That’s about all there is to report for this first leg of the hunt. So far it has been a great learning experience getting to know the area with highlights like spending quality time in beautiful country, a well place arrow and fresh killed bunny for lunch, the cougar tracks in the mud outside camp, lots of close contact with unshootable sheep and hunting with good friends. Can’t wait to get back at it again in a few days.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
This little group kept me intertained all week coming in and out of camp...

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Doug,

I told those other guys not to let you burn out...you have a LONG season; use all of it you can   :thumbsup:

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Thanks Doug, for the pics and the stories. Good luck as I understand you have some more hunting to do!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:   Been waiting for the details. Them are some great pictures too.
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear the story in person, bud!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Now why cant I find dalls running acrossed the road near camp......hey honey is the back of the truck 20 or 22 yards?   :D !!

Sweet pics btw.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Great photos, Doug, and thanks for taking the time for updates.  Hang tough!    :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 04:13:00 AM »
Amazing scenic shots Doug. Hang in there, I'm sure it'll pay off not taking that 'gimme' on day one!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »
Thanx Doug...good luck the rest of the way...I just know you'll get one!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Nice pics.  I chased some birds in those red hills a few days but havent seen much of that country.  Good luck the rest of the way!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Great pics Doug, I'm looking forward to more as your hunt continues.  Good luck!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Good Hunting! Thanks for the great photos and tale so far. Hope you get back to the Pryors again soon.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Good stuff Doug!  With a couple of tenacious pit bulls like Walt and Leo working with you it's just a matter of time!
Enjoy every minute!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the update Doug! Keep us posted.  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©