INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pryor Sheep Hunt Update... 11/17/07  (Read 10643 times)

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pryor Sheep Hunt Update... 11/17/07
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Been waiting for this thread - keep 'em coming along with the great photos.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Great photos and a fantastic story so far.  Thanks for taking us along, Doug!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
Great country your slipping around in Doug.
The rams are due to show, the prom is about to start.

Looking forward to the rest of the story, was in the hills and missed your call. Glad you took time to recharge. Looking forward to the pics of the rest of the hunt, best of luck pard.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
Good luck Doug,Thanks for taking us along. Great pictures.   :clapper:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Doug, I see a ram in your future, my friend.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Been too busy hunting and missed this somehow....looking forward to "the rest of the story". Prayers for the hunt Doug.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for all the well wishes everybody. Getting a little, (heavy on the little) time back home with the wife and kids then back at it. Leaving in a few minutes for NE to a buff sale then plan to head back for the Pryors next weekend for a few more days. Yep Robin the Prom should be starting soon  ;)  

Sure wish I could do this country justice with my pictures, it is incredible!! Here's a couple more for you viewing pleasure.

Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Hoodoo Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Some little do's and dont's:

When you borrow a boat from your buddy:
1.  see if there is a license plate on the trailer.
2.  see if there is a registration tag on the boat (at least one from the last year or two)
3.  see if the plug on the heat exchanger is actually screwed in or just laying in the bottom of the engine compartment.
4.  see if the legs on the folding picnic chair that is doubling for a drivers seat miss the big hole in the floor of the boat.
5.  pre-plan every move before hand if the boats reverse doesn't work.
6.  yep and take the back straps off the boat before attempting to launch.

When following idiots to the new place to glass after too much rain:
1.  argue harder with Leo about going the long way around to Warren.  The roads are probably a whole bunch better that way.
2.  When the boat trailer fenders fill so full of mud the wheels are just skidding along, stop following Leo and just sit and watch the fool try and get out of this one with out chains.

When the map indicates the county road is built on the old railroad grade:

1.  beware of rail road spikes working their way back up though the gravel.  They make a hell of a hole in a 10 ply tire.

These are just a few of the challenges Doug has faced courtesy of me and I thank him for his patience.  Then hunt is tough enough on its own.

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Good Luck!!!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Doug, if you need a hand with anything let me know. I'm not that far away by "western measure".   :thumbsup:

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Wow, best pics yet Doug  :thumbsup:  Very cool country  :campfire:

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
OK just got back from several more days, 21 all together so far, in the Pryors. Experienced everything from butt dragging lows to “WOW! There’s a ram!” highs.  From ice fog and near zero visibility to sweat dripping off your nose, this really is the desert, heat, all in one week. Still no hero pics but I think things are finally looking up.

The first day this trip I set camp in a steady rain before it really turned off cold, 20º that night. Glassed what I could from the rig till dark and hit the bag hoping it’d get better. Woke up to everything covered with ice, inside and outside the tent. Now one thing you don’t do is go climbing on rocks covered with ice  ;)  Fortunately is warmed to the 40’s by noonish.

I was able to locate the ewe bands again and each of them had dink rams hanging around hoping to get lucky. The next two days covering a lot of country and glassing brought no rams till late Wed afternoon. I was about halfway up a steep ridge glassing the really steep cliffs when a ram materialized out of thin air, (really strange how critters can do that  ;)  ). Twenty minutes of glassing revealed another ram and a couple more I couldn’t tell for sure. It was a mile away a thousand feet above me, looking kinda into the sun and so windy I couldn’t get my spotting scope stabile enough to verify their size. I watched them till almost dark then came down with a plan to be above them at daylight.

The next morning I circled around and came at them from the back side of the ridge. Four hours of hiking and glassing in 45mph winds and wow! wind-chill, revealed no rams. By one or two o’clock I’d had enough and headed back down.

I had spotted a ram chasing ewes on the cliffs above the Lake from above but couldn’t tell what size he was from four miles away so decided to try and find them. After being on the ridge it was plumb balmy down in the low juniper country and a couple miles hiking before it got too late to see good sweated me up pretty good. Despite my best efforts I didn’t find the band I was looking for so it was back to camp again.

I was feeling pretty beat up the next morning and took it easy glassing mostly from the low country again. I eventually located six ewe bands and no bigger rams had joined them yet still. As you can imagine I was feeling pretty low, dirty, (hadn’t gotten enough solar energy to heat my solar shower or enough energy to heat the water on my small stove) beat up, and all around grumpy  ;)  by this point. Not to mention really second guessing the little ram the first day of my hunt.

There was a ton of stuff to do at home and I made up my mind to hunt the next morning them pull out for home maybe hitting a few vantage points on the way.

About 2:00 with camp about rolled up another vehicle rolled into the campground, it turned out to be a guy name of Gary, one of the other sheep tag holders. We talked for a while comparing notes and it turns out he’d stumbled onto a five year old range management study that showed locations where the rams summered. It was some pretty obscure areas, surprise huh, where I’d hadn’t thought to search. I’d concentrated mostly on the high country where I would imagine the rams should be. In reality for some reason these sheep like the lower arid desert areas. While it is still probably a hundred square miles of very rugged country with probably only 20some sheep in it we were learning. It was a real learning experience, he’d taken pictures of at least a dozen legal rams. I’d been having visions of die-offs or worse that was telling my common sense there were no more rams left in the district. I only wish this could have happened sooner!! Gary was only hunting for a real monster which he hadn’t found yet, now I’m not so particular so next trip look out  ;)

Well I’m back home now and won’t be able to go again for a week but when I get back to sheep country it’ll be with a whole new confidence. I imagine the rut will finally be commencing so after finally learning where the rams have been hiding out for the last several months they will probably be heading for the ewe bands I found. Hopefully it’ll be a whole new ballgame.

This is more the kinda country where the guys have been hanging.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
They call this one the window rock

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Great pic's and thanks for taking us into some fantastic country, hang in there.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
This is the Real Epic Hunt!  My fingers are sore just hanging on to the key board on some of those climbs.  Great pictures and best of luck  with rut...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
GOOD LUCK Doug!!! Skyler and I are hoping for the best...Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Good Luck Doug!! Things will come together for you. You have definitley put in the time.   :archer:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Stunning scenery & endurance is a must have for that kind of hunting. Lovely pics Doug  :)

Just to be out there is enough in itself, a treat.
Glad to hear your having fun and hoping for a harvest too   :thumbsup:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Have complete confidence in you Doug.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
looking good man beautiful country
St. Joe River Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©