INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Montana adventure for 12 yr old son (pics)  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Montana adventure for 12 yr old son (pics)
« on: October 10, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I thought I'd share some stories and photos from my 12 year old son's first western bowhunt.

Part 1 - preparation and getting there:

Daniel has been hunting for several years now, and always eagerly welcomed me back from my annual western bowhunts.  He couldn't wait for his turn to join me at age 12, and I promised to take him this year if he did well in school, helped me on our small farm, and shot his bow enough to be accurate at 10 yards.  He did all three, but the last requirement was the most fun....

In 2005, instead of hunting in the west, I took my family on a 3 week tour of South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Colorado.  I snuck my bow, camo clothes and boots along and managed to get in a very brief antelope bowhunt in the Pawnee Grasslands of Colorado at the very end of the trip, when my wife and girls were tired and happy to spend a day or two at a motel with a pool.  Daniel and I had a great time, and I could tell that soon he would be a great bowhunting partner......

We applied this spring in Wyoming together for elk but failed to draw, so we next applied in Montana for the combo elk/deer tag.  Colorado was my third choice, and I knew I would be bowhunting sheep and deer there this fall.  We wanted to hunt where there were lots of animals, few or no grizzlies, and few other hunters!  We were lucky enough to draw the Montana elk and deer tags and the planning began.  These tags are nice because one could hunt both the archery and gun seasons - I gave Daniel the choice knowing that a kill was more likely for him with a gun, but was pleased that he chose to bow hunt.  The combo tag provides fishing and small game licenses too.  We decided to bowhunt elk in the mountains of SW Montana, where I had hunted last year on the advice of 2 friends - Ernie McKenzie (Hornseeker) and Bill Allard (BB), because that area met the 3 wishes.  I have always wanted to try the Block Management areas, so we decided to try such areas in SE Montana on the way home for deer.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana adventure for 12 yr old son (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Good start
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:  can't wait to hear the rest

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
This is good stuff.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
I had left my truck loaded with gear in Denver and the end of my first bowhunt, so we flew back to Denver together - Daniel's first flight.  We stayed with friend Jeff Davis that night, and left early the next morning for Wyoming and the moose camp of Bill Allard.  We had 10 days available and I suppose we should have gone straight to our hunting area in Montana, but my friend was moose hunting in a part of Wyoming that I want to hunt in the next year or two, and I had never spend any time with Bill in the field.  By the time we arrived in western Wyoming, Daniel's neck was sore from turning and looking at all the antelope....

Bill had seen and passed up numerous small bulls, and we hunted another such bull that evening close to camp, but it ended up walking by closer to Daniel and me than Bill.  It was fun visiting with my friend, his son and another friend.  The next morning we had breakfast with yet another friend, this time in Pinedale.  Isn't it amazing all the antlers on display in Wyoming and Montana?

Then we drove through the Grand Tetons, where we saw some beautiful scenery and animals like these sheep....

and these deer...

Next on tap was Yellowstone where this elk posed for us - I was hoping a cow would do this 10 yards from Daniel in Montana....

These bison had just come out of the river...

Leaving Yellowstone, the temperature dropped and snow began to fall.  We were tired of driving and ready to hunt.  In some areas the aspen leaves were falling....

We finally found the forest service road and struggled up the hill as the rain turned to snow.  We arrived at the end of the road and were happy to find no other hunters, on a Saturday no less!  Time to hunt.....
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Y-O-Y did I leave Wyoming?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
That Buffalo pic is cool!  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Not sure if I should read this or not Jeff. May be be more fun to hear the stories in person over Skyline Chili Saturday night   :bigsmyl:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Better close you eyes, Mickey!  HH, as beautiful as Wyoming is, even my son commented "how do you make a living here?".  Gotta pay the bills and I would have a hard time doing so if I moved there.  We probably took an extra 1/2 day going through the national parks, but it was worth it because there weren't many people and Daniel loved seeing the animals.

Part 2 - hunting the mountain tops:

We were located on top of a mountain range that wasn't easy to reach, which helped explain the lack of other hunters.  There were basically 2 large drainages that met and flowed north into a foothill area, thousands of feet lower.  Last year I found elk in the east drainage, pretty close to the end of the road.  I planned to bivy camp close to the elk and hunt for 4-5 days if the elk cooperated.  I hadn't seen but a few deer last year and wasn't expecting much deer action, but we were pleasantly surprised to see some deer up high.  Grizzlies are a problem in western Montana and we weren't too far from Bozeman and Gardner, where several bowhunters were attacked this fall.  Every time we stopped for gas or food, we were warned "be careful with the bears".  Both of us carried bear spray, but I left my pea-shooter pistol in the truck.

Since we only had several hour remaining, we loaded our packs, shot a few practice arrows and hiked up to a high point on the east ridge.  It was snowing lightly and visibility was very limited, but we heard one bull bugling at the bottom of the east drainage.  Returning to the truck in the dark, we knew where to head in the morning.  Sleep did not com easy for me that night - we were finally bowhunting elk, my favorite animal.

Daniel usually isn't very easy to wake up, but he was up before the alarm.  After a hot breakfast of grits and oatmeal, we were back up on the east ridge as dawn broke and the view was nice....

It didn't take long to spot a cow moose down in the willows, and 2 herds of 20+ elk way off on the far slope, about 3 miles away by foot...

I was hoping for some closer elk but got no responses to my calls.  Later we would find out why those elk were pushed so far back.....

It took several hours to work our way to the elk.  It was now September 30 and I didn't see a lot of rutting activity - mostly feeding with one herd bull in each group and several satellite bulls on the perimeter.  As we drew near we could hear the bugling, and bumped into 2 smaller satellite bulls in the pines before reaching the open slopes.  I saw 2 BIG bulls way up at the head of the drainage, but by now I was doubting that we could pack out one elk only 3 miles from the truck - adding another mile or two to the pack was out of the question, as Daniel was struggling a little in the snow, mud and pack.  We searched without luck for the closer group, then headed for the second group which had moved into some thin pines and aspens.  I spotted the herd bull sleeping near his cows and decided to stalk in silently for a shot, but swirling winds ruined that plan and they thundered off.  Soon we found some cows and calves in the open so Daniel began his first stalk - he got to about 100 yards and ran out of cover, so he set up and began cow calling.  This got the attention of a nice 5x5 bull who began bugling and raking a tree.  Just when it looked like he was coming to collect this wayward cow, some mulie does spooked from Daniel to the elk and the spell was broken.  Daniel was very excited!  By now it was only 2 hours from dark and we had a 3 mile uphill hike bvack to the truck, so we headed out.  Twice we had small mulie bucks within 30-40 yards but small mistakes spooked thise deer .  We arrived at the truck tired, wet and hungry - a fun day!

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Come on Jeff, type faster!
Jack Shanks

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
The weather is always a factor up high and I listened to the forecast cloesly as we ate chile for dinner (not Skyline but still OK).  Tomorrow's forecast was for 60 degrees and sunny.  In the morning the sky was clear so we decided to rest the east drainage (since we had spooked almost every animal we saw there) and look for elk in the west drainage, then decide where to set up our bivy camp.  I figured we could cover that area in 1/2 day, set up a camp using our game cart to haul in the camping and hunting gear, and still get in an evening hunt.  Daniel was a little sore from yesterday's 10 miles, so we took it easy.  Soon we found a grouse and Daniel was eager for his first archery kill.....

Two shots later and the grouse decided to find a better place to hang out.  We were careful to line up the arrow with a good backstop before the shot....

There wasn't any elk activity by noon so we ate a hot lunch....

The winds had been picking up and soon the snow began, with several intense squalls.  We had dressed lightly but luckily I had rain gear in the packs.  Still, this fire was much appreciated...

Turns out there was one elk in the area.  As in the day prior, we would set up and call when we reached a good looking area.  After 10 minutes, we relaxed and started the fire.  An hour later, the tracks in the snow told the story - a bukll had come in silently until he winded us and spooked.  We should have been more careful - elk really do remind me of turkeys!

It was another long walk back to the truck, at least 10 miles total that day, and we again bumped into some feeding deer that were close but not close enough!  That night it blowed and snowed pretty hard - glad we weren't in a tent....

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
sounds awesome so far   :campfire:
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
That night spagetti was on the menu and we tried another radio station for the forecast - a big storm was moving in and up to a foot was possible in the high country.  Now I began to worry about getting snowed in.  In the morning, 2 things happened that made us decide to head lower.

I was up before daylight, listening to a bull bugle in the distance and thinking over our options.  I was thinking we'd go after that bull at daylight, since he was close to the truck, until it got light and I saw these tracks close to the truck....

Wolves!  I'd much rather see them than grizzly tracks, I guess.  We had seen wolf tracks the previous day in the west drainage and I assumed they were the reason the elk were not there.  We also saw a lion track in the mud - no doubt there were other elk hunters besides us there!  Several experienced elk hunters had advised me - if you hear or see wolves in your area, move out and find another area.

Soon we heard a truck coming up the road and saw 2 cowboys looking for lost cattle.  Turns out we had seen those cattle on the first day so we traded info with these 2 guys.  They were not surprised at all about the wolves, telling several interesting stories about them as well as mountain lions and bears.  I asked if they would pack out an elk for us if we got lucky - they agreed but made it clear the 20 cattle were their priority and there would be no elk packing until the cattle were back on the ranch, especially with the big storm approaching.  They told me of a way to get into the east drainage from the foothills in the north, so the decision was made - pull out of the mountain tops and come back in from the foothills.  Off we went, slipping and sliding down the mountain trail.  On the way, we saw more cowbows moving their cattle from the high country ranges into the lower pastures...

It was good to see some real cowboys for a change.  Lots of fake/city cowboys where I live, kinda funny to see.  Anyway, this old boy seemed to enjoy the snow...

The last 2 photos have nothing to do with hunting, but we were enjoying the whole experience.  Daniel had not complained one bit and was a real trooper - we enjoyed each other's company the entire trip.  We somehow got a Denver radio station several nights and enjoyed some playoff baseball (I even like the Rockies now!) and had some good father-son talks.

More to follow tomorrow.....

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
awesome story and great pics :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
very cool pics Jeff. Beautiful places. RC

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Great story and pictures too....   :thumbsup:

Offline Robert Warnock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Well told and looking forward to more.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Wow!  Great story and pics!  What a great opportunity for both of you to be able to share a trip like this.  I don't care how much money a guy might have - he couldn't buy a trip as good as yours.  I'm sure you both will carry the memories made out there with you for the rest of your lives.
Now, carry on with the story please!  :pray:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©