INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Montana adventure for 12 yr old son (pics)  (Read 6452 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana adventure for 12 yr old son (pics)
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Great stuff, for sure. Not enjoying it quite as much as you and your Son probably - but I bet it's a lot easier on me than it was on him -    :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
This one leaves me almost speechless Jeff.....   :notworthy:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Your son is very lucky to have you as his dad.

Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Oh, that is one of the best father/child stories I have read!  That photo of your son glassing and the snow all around is absolutely awesome.

I cannot wait until my daughter is old enough to do something like that.

Mike
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Part 5 - plains deer hunting:

It was interesting seeing the differences in various parts of Montana, and driving through several indian reservations and towns sparked some discussions on american history.  That reminds me - somehow Daniel had "forgotten" his homework that the school provided for this trip.  Luckily for him he has resourceful parents and mom mailed the package to a place near Bozeman, where we picked it up and Daniel completed it by the time we arrived at home.  I told him "nice try".  

The plains of SE Montana are pretty dry....

We didn't see a lot of animals near the indian reservations, and the first type 1 block management area didn't look good - no animals seen and evidence of lots of use by locals.  The type 1 areas require only that the hunter sign in each day...

While the type 2 areas require actual reservations with the land owners and other restrictions - we learned that thise were better areas but couldn't reach any of the local landowners on short notice.  We ended up hunting 2 type 1 ranches that had very limited creek bottoms, which is where the few animals were located.  However, there were dozens upon dozens of deer visible in the alfalfa fields along the Powder River, both whitetails and mulies...

Notice anything unusual about the mulie bucks?  Elsewhere in Montana and Wyoming the mulie bucks had the classical forked G-2 tines, little or no brow tines, tall racks, etc.  Here we were seeing mulie bodies and whitetail racks!  There seems to be a whitetail somewhere in that bigger mulie's family tree....

Anyway, the next ranch had some deer visible but we were running out of time so we drove through it and to the final ranch for a quick driveby right before dark.  The later ranch was larger and seemed better, so we found some nearby BLM land for our final night of sleeping in the truck.  The wind was ripping so putting out the tent wasn't a good idea.  By now, sleeping in the truck was quite familiar.  I did manage to cook a pretty good meal before dark....

So, this was it.  Tomorrow was our last day of hunting.  Looking at the map, I regretted not making reservations down on the better ranches with the cottomwood bottoms and alfalfa fields.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Great stuff Jeff. Man what an experience for Daniel. You sure he's gonna be happy hunting Noblis's farm after this?

Knife River beat me to it on the Great Gray. Very large, very rare, northern owl. You are lucky to have seen one. Dianne and I have only seen one and that was in Saskatchewan a number of years ago.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline steveB.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
its great you and your son can do things like this together. maybe when my son gets old enough he'll want to take up hunting.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
What can I say, just an awesome story  :clapper:  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Jeff,
You are doing good!!  Also, you go fishing on the Gallatin River ten miles from my house (ya, I know right where you were fishing), then drive by within two hundred yards of the house and didn't stop in for coffee and hot chocolate.  Next time you are on the Gallatin stop in and I will show you and Daniel some of the good local fishing holes.  I think Daniel will remember this trip more then any other for the rest of is life.  Some of the best times I had with my dad were the fly-fishing trips he took me/us on when I/we was growing up.  He rarely hunted but had a passion for fly-fishing like I have for traditional bowhunting.

Mick,
Guess I am blessed and didn’t know it; I have had a great gray land next to one of my whitetail stands (10-15 feet) three time this year.  I heard it hooting last night but didn’t see it while on a nearby stand.  I never realized they were a rare sighting but would guess I have seen about 8-10 others over the previous dozen years.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Yep Mickey, the Nobis farm is still special to Daniel because that is where he learned to hunt, and we know that it will soon be a golf course with $500,000 houses.  Plus there are still some great whitetails there and we have a good chance of filling some tags.

OK, the grand finale.  The red sunrise seemed to match the forecast - rain by the end of the day...

This ranch was about 30,000 acres and we headed to the most remote pertion on the dirt road, where the map indicated some ponds and creeks were located.  On the way we encountered several large sage grouse and I thought for sure one would end up in the pot for dinner....

but they ran or flushed wildly before we could get any shots.  It was 7 miles to the back of the ranch, but only antelope were seen.  I am thankful that ranchers like these trust strangers like us on their property and around their livestock - each of these cattle are worth more than $1000....

We found another part of the ranch with some mulie does bedded in a creek bottom but my stalk ended with swirling winds.  Driving out, we saw a small buck and doe bedded close to the ranch in a very stalkable position, but agreed that we shouldn't chance having a wounded deer running through the yard.  We saw some more does on some BLM land on the way to the other large ranch, but Daniel's stalk was blown by some cattle that busted right past the deer, taking them out of that area.  We spent several more fruitless hours at the other ranch, but couldn't find any deer.  Dry and dusty away from the creeks and rivers...

With only a few hours left, I pulled out the map one more time and finally located a section of state land in the Powder River bottom that I could access through some BLM land - often these 1 mile square sections are landlocked with no legal access, but here was our last chance.  We shot a few final practice arrows...

and headed in.  The wind was unsteady ahead of the gathering storm and I decided that a push through this cottonwood bottom to Daniel would be best, positioning him on the river's edge and circling upwind.  The herd of cattle spooking ahead of me didn't help much, as I saw some mulies running out the wrong way, but eventually I jumped some deer and sent them Daniel's way.  I hoped that they would provide a close, standing shot......instead the whitetail buck and several does busted past Daniel and launched into the river.  Daniel used good judgement and simply watched the show - good boy!  As for me, I spotted the tips of a deer's ears in the thicker brush as it watched me walk past at 20 yards and prepared to shoot.  I came to an opening, aimed and released - this mulie doe was quite alert because it ducked my arrow easily and bounded away.  Except for that fox and grouse, we never really had any good, close shots at relaxed animals on this trip.

It was almost dark when we finally got back to the truck, but a local ranch kid was there on his motorcycle to talk with us and see what we were doing.  He was very friendly and even invited us to hunt this dad's ranch right next to the public land - if only we had more time or had met him the previous days!  Oh well, they say timing is everything and it was time to head home!  We spend that night in a motel in town due to the heavy thunderstorms, and spent the next 2 full days driving home to NC.  We did stop in Iowa for a layover with friend Jim McInteer, but our backsides were numb when we finally pulled into our driveway.

I hope you enjoyed the story and photos; maybe they gave you some ideas for a similar adventure.   It has been several days now since getting home - Daniel and I are tired of work and school so it is time to pack up the truck again and head for Ohio and those big whitetails.  Good hunting!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Olebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Jeff:  What a great trip, story and adventure with
your son!  Ya done good, congratulations.
It reminded me of my son and all the hunts we did
together when he was young and still at home.
We have wonderful memories too that will last
forever, and so will you.  Keep it up dad.
Olebow

Offline Hogtamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Hey Jeff,
Great adventure!   Thanks for sharing. Hal

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Well told.  I look forward to those times with my kids.  Hopefully one or more of them will have the passion to hunt that I do.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
:campfire:    :archer:  

Doesn't get any better!

Thanks Jeff...see you and Daniel Saturday night
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Jeff,
Great job on the story/pictures.  Daniel will probably get a sore foot from booting you in the butt over the coming years.  Thanks for sharing your hunt.
Bill

Offline Sean Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Keep it coming Jeff!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Pretty cool Jeff, now we'll be looking forward to those Ohio pics and stories......   :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
Simply outstanding, Sounds like you have quite the hunting partner to make memories with. Thanks for taking us along.
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
What a blessing to read and see the pictures you posted.  Thank you very much.  I hope the Buckeye State is good for your son ( and me, too) this year.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Jeff, thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I'm glad you & Daniel had a good time.Daniel should remember this hunt for a long time. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©