INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ground hunting  (Read 3737 times)

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground hunting
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I own a good treestand, and I'll sit in it, if I have to. But it's my least favorite way to hunt deer. I love to get down "Among 'em"...

My friend, Paul Jalon (Elite arrows) says, "If Mother Nature offers a kiss, only a fool won't pucker up!"
I'm beginning to think he may be right. The second week of October, I had an opportunity to shoot a nice doe, broadside at about 20 yards. I hunt deer, and not horns, and I surely would have put her in the freezer, but she had a small fawn with her.  The cute little rascal was just out of spots and dumb as a post. I knew if I shot her, he probably wouldn't make the Winter, so I let them walk. I Must have insulted Mom Nature by passing on her gift.

Having recieved a reprieve from work this morning, I was determined to go. No matter that it was raining and windy. The Red Gods  must be served.
I put on my MTO-50 raingear and Muck boots, grabbed the recurve,  and took off. At 7AM, I was oozing along a dry creek bed, still too dark to shoot, constantly amazed at how much noise a fat man in rubber boots can make, and how the expensive raingear that sounds fine in the kitchen at 6AM, suddenly sounds like a cheap shower curtain in the woods with a wind.

I came to a narrow spot where a picked cornfield joined a small bluff that fell down to the creek. I climbed up out of the creek and leaned against a little arm-sized tree with the hope of glassing a deer out in the field. I had just done a quick scan and put the glass back in my pocket, took 10 or 15 steps, when I  noticed the Gray back of a deer behind a fallen log, maybe 25 yards ahead. I immediately knelt down in the weeds. Rewind to where I compared the rain pants to a shower curtain. The deer heard me and stood up. He was about 20 yards, but the vitals were behind the log. He decided to investigate and stepped out-looking right at me. He knew I wasn't Kosher, but couldn't decide what to make of me.

I eased an arrow out of the side quiver and onto  the string.....

The deer stood facing me. His rack was ample and well out past his ears. He had seen more than a few winters. I hoped he couldn't hear my heart beating--I sure could!......I became a statue.

And then things got stupid.

He came closer.

He eased around trying to catch my wind, but the bluff on one side and the creek on the other kept him from it. He did the usual stomping, head bob, and the fake look away with a quick "gotcha!"........I am like a nervous statue.

And then he came closer.

About 7 yards separate us now. He still has his front to me, and is watching me like you'd watch your young daughter's boyfriend. I have been squatted down here for maybe 10 minutes now, and my old body is beginning to quiver...I am like a statue in an earthquake.

And he comes closer!

I know the Jig is up. Even with the wind against him, that bloodhound nose will make me out any second. I could try for a frontal heart shot, but I've been in the game way too long for that.

At maybe 5 yards, I looked up into his eyes and said "You Win!" and he turned inside out and was gone, leaving me laughing in the rain like an idiot.

Folks, THAT'S WHY I LIKE TO HUNT ON THE GROUND!
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
:clapper:  
Classic!
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
The one thing that turns me inside out is when a deer (buck or doe) sees me or think it sees me.  I'm usually pretty calm if the deer is unaware of my presence, but when they start staring me down, stamping a foot, trying hard to wind me, I start coming unglued and have a hard time not getting the shakes.  But Boy-O-Boy are those times ever exciting!  I admire you folks that hunt from the ground.  I know it must multiply the excitement.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Great story John, and ditto's on the ground hunting. Your story stirs many memories and dreams of things to come.

Thanks for writing it.
Terry K.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Nail:
I am like a statue in an earthquake.

I looked up into his eyes and said "You Win!" and he turned inside out and was gone, leaving me laughing in the rain like an idiot.

Folks, THAT'S WHY I LIKE TO HUNT ON THE GROUND!
GREAT Story, Great hunt!

I love hunting on the ground for the adrenaline rush and the up close and personal contact too.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
WELL DONE JOHN!!  Thats cool! I'll stick to my treestands tho,this fat man makes a LOT of noise!!LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
I've been in a similar ground situation a few times. Ain't it great? The best was the fawn that sniffed and licked the fletching of my arrows laying by my feet.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Tom, it seems like every year I have something unique like this happen. So may it ever be.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
LOL!   :biglaugh:  

Good Stuff!

Mike

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Outstanding story - I love stuff like that.  :-D

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
John, I too am a gravitationally gifted ground pounder and I have experiences like that one a few times a season and I keep comming back! It's definitely a rush!   :readit:      :D
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for shareing.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Been busted in the past myself but your story gives me hope for the future. Thanks for sharibg your wonderful experience.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Great story< John!!!
Bret M. FullER

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Fantastic post!  I read it out loud to my wife and daughter and we all enjoyed it together.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I love these success stories. Inside of twenty yards on the ground, I believe they can even FEEL our awful presence.

Getting within ten yards is sometimes a spiritual experience.

Great story John Nail...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Great story. I got excited too! Jawge

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
i my book that was a successful hunt!!!!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Great post. SlowBowinMO I just read it to my wife to. She is a non hunter and cant see why we hunt deer. Her first words after i read it to her were "Thats Precious" And i said dear thats why we hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Awesome John. I loved the part about the fat man in rubber boots (I can relate) and the cheap shower curtain sound of your rain gear and of course the ending. That was great! Thanks
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©