INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Greyfox54's St. Judes Hunt @ JC's  (Read 6199 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Greyfox54's St. Judes Hunt @ JC's
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Well, Fred is here and we are hard at the hunting, as well as eating, already feel like I've known him for years...but then that's the nature of this trad family, ain't it? Anyway, I thought I'd tell this story a bit differently since we will be here at the house each night...I'll try and do daily updates. Mind you, I said TRY   ;)  

Thurs 10/4/07 - Fred's flight got in fine, he road the MARTA rapid transit up to near my office where I picked him up around 2pm. We went had a bite of Mama Fu's excellent Chinese and started telling war stories....Man has Fred been on some exciting hunts! I knew I was going to have a lot to live up to...but thankfully, Fred is a genuinely easy going as anyone could ever be, especially for a guy from NJ (no offense to my fine yangese bretheren above the Mason/Dixon Line)  :goldtooth:  

We went to walmart where Fred proceeded to sign away his children's inheritance for a yearly out of state....I of course consoled him that he was not only going on Terry's hunt in a few weeks but he could return to help chase hogs or turkey in the spring. I thought he would sprain his wrist swiping the card so fast...

Long drive back to the Coots house gave us more time to talk, and of course the more I heard him the more I liked him. Introductions to Miss Kim, Chase & Connor were made and we wasted no time changing and into the woods.

I put Fred on the Ridge stand, it's done very well the last 2 years on evening sits, I had hopes the one tree that had been dropping acorns would get some deer movement. Sadly, the weather was abysmal for this time of year....80 degrees is at least 10-15 too many for this time of year. But we were optimistic as Fred suited up

Fred confided he often did not wear a harness when in the stand....and hearing of the thickly branched pine trees he often sits in, I can understand why. But 10 seconds on a GA platform and he was pretty happy to have the belt. I left him to what we hoped was an eventful evening

I slipped back down the hill back towards our entry point where I had a climber waiting.

Up the tree, I had a good view of the (now dry) creek bottom that I had seen 2 deer in this year, feeding on a red oak dropping acorns.

I knew it was not the best bet, but with our limited time that evening it was a good option. Our drought coupled with a late frost has really damaged our acorn crop in my area. Trees that were reliable producers are bare, no white oaks that I can find on my place have acorns so my usual feeding areas did not look hopeful.

Got to go nap before tonights hunt....I'll try to catch ya'll up when we get back....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Greyfox54's St. Judes Hunt @ JC's
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Looking good.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
ALLRIGHT Brothers.....Give em Heaven  :clapper:    :clapper:  

Whatcha gonna feed him  :jumper:    :jumper:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I'll bet he gets some cookies!  :cool:  

Thanks for taking the time to bring us all along with you fellas  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Cool....look for a post tonight!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Get em guys!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Hey guys we are anxiously waiting for a report, stop eating Miss Kim's cookies and let us know what happened!!!  ;)
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
OK...I'm 16 miles away....I KNOW its dark 30.

Where's the report????????

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
TAP...TAP....TAP....   :readit:

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Let's GO!!!!!!!!!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
OK....maybe they were at McGraw again...and will be in soon...hopefully they are dragging.  ;)

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
wheres the rest of the story??
St. Joe River Bows

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Alright....back in from McGraw and had some viddles. Last of Kim's pork roast stewed with carrots, onions, and mushrooms in a cream of mushroom/wine gravy, mashed potatoes, cut off corn, green beans, fresh bread, sour cream pound cake, strawberries and whipped cream. (how's that Vance?)

OK, where I left off....

My sit Thurs night was uneventful. No deer at all, but I did see 4 turkeys that met up with another group on the ridge behind me. They spent an hour trying to tear down the timber finding a roosting spot. Otherwise, nada. At dark I met Fred on the trail....my high hopes were dashed as he saw nothing either. Could only be this hot dry weather.

Friday 10/5/07: We left at 4:30 this morning to get to McGraw Ford early and meet Ken Hardee, scoutman, to hunt an area that had some water. When we left it was a chilly 73 degrees with 90%+ humidity   :eek:  Thankfully, it was misting rain. McGraw is a bowhunting only WMA about 40 minutes from me, Ken and I have done very well here and usually have 10 or stands hung in various areas. Our motto is walk till you get tired, then walk some more...it's always worked in keeping away from the crowds.

All three of us walked in together to about the halfway point where Ken took Fred to the Hotspot stand. This stand has consistently produced deer every year, situated on the edge of an old grown up clear cut, 5-6 trails converging.

I went on to a stand on the creek. Thank GOD! running water! First running water I've seen since April around here. Things were looking up.

It was hot, but the rain cooled things off a bit and as the sun came up a breeze picked up, making it almost comfortable. My stand was situated on a 3 trail convergence on a creek bottom, 75 yards down hill from another old clear cut. The view looked promising...

Trail #1 was 10 yards away to my right

Trail #2 forked 15-18 yards to my left

Trail #3 came out of the clear cut directly behind me

And of course there was water just below me (insert crazy giggle here)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Not long after daylight the coyotes wound up their calls. I couldn't tell if they were on our side of the river of the other, but they seemed to be coming from the general direction Fred was hunting. A few minutes later another yipped much closer, very near to were Ken was hunting. I heard a intensity enter the howl, almost painful...I thought, he doesn't sound so good. Eventually all went quiet.

Around 8am I saw a doe and fawn slipping down the trail across the creek some 50 or so yards away. They crossed the creek once, crossed back further on and continued down their trail, never offering a shot (though I wouldn't have taken either). I was relieved just to see deer finally...it's been really tough this season. Thanking the Lord for the water, I just knew something was going to happen.

2 hours later I had seen nothing else. Oh well, it has to get better. Time to meet up with the other fellers and see what they killed.

The spot were the doe crossed the second time was obviously well used.

As I slipped down the creek I was amazed at how different it looked here than just 30 miles away at my place.

The rain had brought out flowers that a few weeks ago had not been here.

Lichens grew green and vibrant in the fresh moisture.

The water had even renewed the "vigor" of some of God's creatures....

But also came too late for others...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
At the prearranged meeting place, I arrived just as Ken came into view....dragging....a coyote! I knew that coyote didn't sound so good!

Ken saw nothing else and was a bit bewildered at our low activity.

We met up with Fred who gave us his bad news...no sightings whatsoever. But Fred was a trooper, taking it with a smile...and much sweat. He did like the stand though and said "that looks like a hot spot." Ken and I laughed aloud....we hadn't told Fred the name but it was obviously given the correct one.

Long sweaty walk back to the truck, we ate a few sandwiches and planned to meet back up around 3 to walk in to 3 different stands that also had not been hunted since we hung them.

Fred and I went back home where we caught a quick nap, posted here, and headed back out to McGraw for the evening hunt.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
And?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
They's Nappin I reckon. Least that's where JC left us  :jumper:    :jumper:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Or picking through whatever's left of the pork.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
And? Keep it coming guys. Sounds like alot of fun.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »
Can't wait for more!!! Good luck guys   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©