INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Greyfox54's St. Judes Hunt @ JC's  (Read 6200 times)

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Greyfox54's St. Judes Hunt @ JC's
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »
Awful pretty country Joe, And a lot more sign than I've been seeing  on the Tenn. side of those Mountains. I need to get my Ga. license.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 05:14:00 AM »
I hear they might be making a run through Cohutta this afternoon. Doug and I are heading up now so might meet up with them later today.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
A story well told, should never be rushed, but savored like a woman's touch.

:thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Looks almost like spring in those pictures Joe! Where's the pics of Ken & his coyote?

I knew I should 'a bid a little higher for this!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
As always, great pics and story. I'll be checkin back later for more. Was just wondering, with a menu like that why would anyone leave the house?  :confused:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:  Keep it coming, I just know you guys are having a grand ole time....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
Dang JC, That's some great story tellin with pics inserted at just the right juncture. Congrats on the coyote! Carry-on! CK

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
As always JC, I am amazed at your ability to notice and capture all of the little things that make the outdoors such a wonderful place.  Good story and pics!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Ken shoots a compound....but we almost have him converted. We've hunted together for the last 7 years or so and had many good times together. He truly is one of the best deer hunters I know. Now, if we can just get him fully converted over to trad    :campfire:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
When can we start lookin for the BOOK...JC  :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Alright....back in from McGraw and had some viddles. Last of Kim's pork roast stewed with carrots, onions, and mushrooms in a cream of mushroom/wine gravy, mashed potatoes, cut off corn, green beans, fresh bread, sour cream pound cake, strawberries and whipped cream. (how's that Vance?)

Dang. I'll be thinking of this menue all night..I would be walking away from the table in pain. a good pain.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
The men are still out hunting, but I thought I would post tonights menu for Vance and all you others who love to eat.
Terriaki Steaks (ribeyes)
Au Gratin Potatoes
Green Salad
Yeast Rolls
Iced Tea/Wine
They had to eat the pork leftovers last night so I thought I had better trot out some good eating tonight.
The boys had team night last night during the high school football game and got to run on the field with the big boys. How could I say no to that? Anyway, it ran much later than I imagined and the hungry hunters got home way before I did. It was leftover city.

Vance since I know this is important to you I will tell you what they came home to find after the morning hunt.
Breakfast Casserole (eggs, hashbrowns, shredded cheese, sausage & cream of mushroom)
Bacon
Sausage
Sausage Gravy
Pancakes

JC and I are just sick that Fred has not seen anything, but you guys know how hunting goes.
Anyway, I hope they come back with smiles on their faces and something in the back of the truck!
We will update you after they eat steak!

:saywhat:

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Dang, the heck with hunt'n. If they do that again next year for the auction, I'm bid'n. Just for the vittles. LOL!!!  ;)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Dang, How did I miss this post? Sounds Great so Far... Especially the vittles! More Please  :saywhat:    :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
I'm moving.....it'll be worth it just for the food!  :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks Miss Kim, we let Vance take the heat, but most of us are chow hounds who happen to bow hunt. Already ate supper but thinking of having another after you described tonight's eats at Chez Coots.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
We slept in a bit this morning, mainly because we were hunting here at the house one more time. The alarm still felt too early even at 6am, this huntin is hard work   ;)  

I took Fred to "deep stand 1"....the stand I only hunt usually 1-2x a year, across the power line nearing the back edge of my property...well into the living room of the local white tails. When I left him at the trail of brite eyes, I thought "this just has to work, he'll be right on top of em". I went back to "far ridge stand" to hunt a place I hadn't since last year...in the hopes of seeing a deer...ANY deer.

The temp was still crazy warm, 73 this morning when we left before sun-up...should have been 50 at best, typically in the 40's. By the time I got to my stand, I was soaked.

The morning passed uneventfully and I went back to the house to take care of a few work phone calls that popped up...leaving Fred to come down when he wanted. Course, you guys already know the great breakfast my wonderful wife had as a consolation prize   :readit:  

Kim and the boys soon left for their football games and I updated you while waiting for Fred. Sadly, he came back soaked too....but from just stumpin his way back instead of draggin. But a cool shower and hot breakfast seemed to perk him right up!

Time for a change of plans....we were gettin no-where. It was either Cohutta for bear/hogs or Pine Log for hogs. I knew Terry and his bud Dave were already there, his call confirmed they were on hot trails but the temps were just as hot up there too. We decided to leave Cohutta to Terry (like 96,000 acres wasn't enough room to roam) and thought we'd head to Pine log.

A few hours nap really helped, we loaded up some snacks and cold water and headed out....the thermometer read 88 degrees   "[dntthnk]"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Way to hot for this time of year JC. The consolation is though at least it's this time of year again. Now keep the story coming, this is a great thread!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
On the way Fred and I talked about our plethora of public hunting land. GA hunters are very fortunate as we have a perponderance of hunting areas available for a very reasonable fee. Seems we sometimes take for granted the sheer amount of land that's purchased and/or leased solely from our hunting/fishing license dollars.

A long, rough dirt road ride in, we stopped at the trail entrance to the "hog crater"....we call it that cause it usually looks like a bomb went off there. We made our way down the trail to the creek....which was bone dry   :banghead:  OK, calm down, there's a lot of land to cover yet.

75 yards further down I peeked over the edge again....this time....

SIGN! Finally...a glimmer of hope. Both Fred and I immediately felt the tension ease. You could see the trail going from the cut down into the crater, with the wallow on the way. The water was good and muddy, it had been used relatively recently.

The mud was soft and squishy, the trail was beaten smooth...

We talked in hurried whispers...excited to finally see something for all the hours we had put in. Quietly, we slipped away from the creek bed and up the burm of "the crater"...cautiously peeking over the edge.

YES! More sign..and by the looks of the dirt, very fresh.

The rooted dirt was so fresh it was dark in comparison to the surrounding dirt...it was moist and smelled like a newly turned field. Now we're talking. Now I wasn't sure if the sweat was from the heat or increased anticipation...

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Just found this!

Looks like fun.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement