INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Greyfox54's St. Judes Hunt @ JC's  (Read 6201 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Greyfox54's St. Judes Hunt @ JC's
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
The trees were all rubbed with mud, like usual...we had made the right decision coming here. It was feeling like something would happen...

We still hunted through the area, sign was everywhere. Within 100 yards the fresh sign diwndled, but there was mud on most trees and any log near the well worn trail. We continued down stream just to make sure the hogs weren't waiting somewhere up ahead.

Following the creek the water soon disappeared. This hole is typically 6'+ with flowing water....

We followed the dry stream down to another feeder creek that flowed in and actually had running water. Besides the well worn trail, the hog sign was minor....and old. Continuing on, we met up with a side trail that took us back to the road....we would circle back up to the truck and hit the fresh sign for the last few hours of light.

Back at the truck it was still a bit early so we broke out the snacks and water....talking more about hunting and life on the tailgate of my truck. Some things, a feller just can't put a price on.   :bigsmyl:  

Tomorrow is another day...and another chance at the hogs!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Good luck guys!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
We'll say a little hunting prayer for yall....Good luck, Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2007, 12:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by JC:
On the way Fred and I talked about our plethora of public hunting land. GA hunters are very fortunate as we have a perponderance of hunting areas available for a very reasonable fee. Seems we sometimes take for granted the sheer amount of land that's purchased and/or leased solely from our hunting/fishing license dollars.
AMEN!!! I sometimes forget that, even though I have great access till muzzleloader season starts... just wish they would move every season back about a month... I have hunted a dozen times this season and only not worn shorts once   (okay I put on the ASAT leafy wear over it once I get on stand...)  ... and the one time I didn't I wish I would've.. and of the times I wore shorts, only once did I feel chilled... deer sightings total 5- way low, as last season I'd see that per hunt in October...

Between the drought, the late freeze last spring  (hence, a wierd mast crop this year...)  and the dog days of summer going into the heart of October... I understand your frustration as it should be a great time to hunt, however this year, everyone is getting blanked unless its in the last 5 minutes...  I am frustrated as are about every other bowhunter I know (even the crossbowers are complaining...   :readit:   )

Keep at it, we're pulling for ya...    :notworthy:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
I think you guys will have some luck in the morning. Keep us posted!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Man I'm gonna bid higher for this trip next year....I knew Miss Kim would feed you well but I didn't know you get naps too!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
They left out this morning after a little breakfast of leftovers from yesterday morning. I could hear the microwave door opening and closing several times.
Unfortunatly we had a little problem.....I pried their camo pants, shirts and sweat rags from their hands to wash last night. Both were reluctant to hand them over. JC said "are you sure they will be ready by morning?" Granted it was about 10:30 and they were headed to bed. I assured them I could handle it.....Well, I washed them and asked Chase to put them in the dryer. I even stayed awake and HEARD him put them in and start it. However, I am not sure what setting he put them on. It ran the usual 40 minutes as I dozed, I could hear it and felt like all was fine with the world. Nothing to worry about, right?

The shock came at 6 am when JC came flying in the room saying their clothes were still soaked!   :scared:  
So, say some extra prayers as they had to go in camo T-shirts and jeans. They were good sports about it....mostly.   :rolleyes:

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
You Did WHAT   :saywhat:   To their Sacred Huntin Clothes and DURING A HUNT   :banghead:      :banghead:  

OH MY   :pray:      :pray:

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Wow!

Reading this makes me think traing for a hunt should include a prehunt diet!

What do you think one would need to enter the hunt 10 pounds light?

Vance any advice?
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
She felt a lot worse about it than I did...I still had stuff to wear....just not my super duper lucky ones. Course, they haven't done much so far....certainly no complaints for such a wonderful wife that puts up with my obsession and who had been slaving keeping us fueled up with the finest victuals ever to pass yer gums.  :readit:  

Biggie, naps are an essential when up early and out late...besides, nothing but walking is bad for digestion    :bigsmyl:  

Sunday 10/7 - Up and at em...breakfast casserole and 66 degree air temps were both good to see this morning. The cooler air pushed us quickly, we actually walked to the truck without breaking a sweat. We got to the woods while it was still dark this morning so we waited until it was light enough to see without flashlights. Checking the wind, it wasn't very favorable to our approach. It would be a roll of the dice, a 1/4ing breeze that swirled. If we went down the road and came in from the bottom, I don't think we could have made it upstream without making a racket like a heard of buffalo. I chose to play the odds with the wind....

We didn't see anything in the crater so we moved down into the bottom...again, the wind 1/4rd and swirled. We saw 2 black forms move off quickly but decided they were turkeys that saw us moving instead of hogs...they made absolutely no sound running off and looked a bit too slender in the early morning light. We set up for 45min/1hr but the swirling wind finally convinced us to pull up and head out downstream by the road to come up from the bottom.

Hoofing it to the downstream location, we were already soaked through...temps had already risen into the high seventies in the short time the sun was up.

We still hunted up stream, convinced we would intercept hogs at some point. As luck would have it, the wind was swirling again...but now in the opposite direction. Oh well....what do you do? Hunt of course    :thumbsup:  

The further we went towards the crater, the more we were convinced again this was the spot to spend the rest of our time hunting.

And we knew not all the pigs were lil sissy pigs too...

Eventually, we made our way to the end...no sights, sounds or smells of pig. Still soaked and wind swirling, we decided to get out of there and let things settle down without our scent continuing to mess things up. Switch gears....back to the house for refueling (mostly water) and wait for the heat to get up/wind to steady.

We'll be back down there in about an hour and stay till good dark. Hopefully, the heat will bring em in....   :pray:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
good luck , rootin (no pun intended) for ya

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Even with the high temps, no deer, and no hogs as yet, the story has been good and entertaining, and I KNOW the food has been great.  The pics have been good too. I'm "rootin'" for you guys to get a critter though so good luck!!!  and thanks for the stories.  

Bill

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
I am afraid that the "No news is good news" might not apply here. As they were leaving JC said he hoped they would be calling in 1 hour or so telling me to get the coolers ready. It's been 4 hours and nothing. I am really feeling sorry for these fellas. They have hunted very hard and seen next to nothing. It's 90 degrees right now. They were hoping that the hot weather would drive the hogs back to the water hole they found. There is still time, but I sure have been praying they will see some action!

All the good food and hospitality can't compare to letting an arrow fly to a hunter. Even I know that!
Since donating this hunt the last two years,we have been blessed to get to know two wonderful men. Brian last year and Fred this year. Fred has been a wonderful guest and has made himself right at home. From my understanding he doesn't post much, but is a serious hunter and knows his stuff. He is a jovial man who really loves to laugh and finds humor in most everything....I have really enjoyed that. It's a good thing since he hasn't seen anything but squirrels and turkeys!
Boy I hope that changes tonight. I will keep you updated...

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
Miss Kim, thanx so much for taking the time to help out with this thread..it's greatly appreciated   :notworthy:  

I think we're all hoping the boys will get into something soon...I know I am!   :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
You are very welcome Curt.

Oh and for those interested in the food I have prepared Chicken Fajitas with all the trimmings for tonight. Got to help them keep their strength up.   ;)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
What a gal!!!!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
I'd like to see them get something too, this is our home state team root'n for them ! But I am sure the memories they are collecting now, will be just as grand. I don't know either one of them personally, except from this board. I just see it as two good guys, doing what they can, with what their dealt. That's "hunt'n" !
I do hope they score though !

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :campfire:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
No doubt they hunted hard...I've hunted with both of them.

And Fred was generous enough to win 2 hunts on the St Judes Auction....so he'll 'Be Back'!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©