INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bulls, Bucks and chickens .. .a Wingnut, Trashwood and Jason adventure  (Read 10091 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bulls, Bucks and chickens .. .a Wingnut, Trashwood and Jason adventure
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
It was the best of times, it was the worst of time.....no wait that line was already used  :)  or the first lier never stands a chance.  you have to keep you sense of humor when ya elk hunt  :)

up at 5:30.  we took turn getting up lighting the fire (mid 20's in the mornings) and starting the coffee.  a cup of coffee and an energy bar, then off ya went.  you would have a mile of tuff climb.  One morning I was going up a small creek.  1/4 mile in I crossed the road as the road uses the creek's sides a switch backs.  Another 1/4 mile and I was in fresh elk tracks going up the same ledge along the creek I was on.  Now it was fair shooting light.  not great but enough to shoot if ya had to.  the climb was very steep now.  in about another 1/4 mile I hit elk scat so fresh it was still steaming.  the breeze was still into my face coming down the creek.   I stop for a listen and to re-group (that is tring to stop breathing like a steam engine on a steep climb with a big load).    I hear steps on the other side of the creek (now the creek is just a draw as it had flattened out a bit).  I drop in behind some huckleberry bushes (now they are a beautiful fall yellow).  I let things stay quiet a bit longer and still hear steps on the other side of the draw.

I get my bow set up with a arrow and me tuck in well with no bits hanging around to make sounds at the worst possible time.   I have got my lightest diaphram.  I let out a light calf call and wait with an increasing heart rate.  No return call but now the steps are clearly closing on an opening 15yds to my left.  to each other we are in a cross wind but the elk will hit my opening long before they cross my wind.  It is a perfect set up.  There are two elk moving to me.  a cow and a calf I'm sure.  I give them another light calf call.  I think I hear a light return call (your imagination can play all kind of tricks on you).  The step are now very close to the trail and hole thru the hucklebrerry whick is my shot window.  one or two more steps....now at 1/2 draw...steps closing.........confusion.....i don't understand....black....BEAR!!

yep,  just as I tought, a cow and a calf.   :)

rusty

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
More Rusty, more!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Black bear Elk? Gotta a tag? What the

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Looks like the hind end of two moose to me Brent.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
LOL - Ah NO! more like Black Angus.  Free range country and I didn't have a tag  :)

Now in my defense.  There is bird in the Western Idaho mountians, a flicker I think that can sound somewhat like a calf call if you are not paying close attention. It is easy not to pay close attention if you are a 500' flatlander at 6000' after a 1 mile of very steep climbing.

and a word of warning -------

always keep in mind (it is very important) that those elk closing on you (esp if they are answering your call) could well be the kind with two legs and an elk call. If the elk answers are too perfect, too often, and the line to you is too straight.......ya just called in hunters . Unless you have a tag for them don't shoot till ya verify your target. This happens all too often  :) .  Mike is good enough he can tell from the first note the name and modle number of the call.  I still think it is an elk.

rusty

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
To bad, that would been some prime freezer filler! LOL (the angus, not the hunter)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
I was hunting pretty slow this yr.  Mike and Jason were working real hard and I didn't want to slow them down in their quest for the wiley elk.  I took a hunting stool that Mike and I made two yrs ago and just poked along (if you call humping a mile up 45 degree slopes poking along).  A couple of days after the Angus encouters I had a dandy mule deer encouter.  Now I am a string walking traditional bow hunter.  I like to know the range.  thus the gall danged range finder  :)

I dropped in to the middle of 3 avalance bushes halfway between two selves at about 6000'. there were fresh mule deer buck tracks just under the brow of the top shelf. i am 1000' above of small river in the Payette national forest. The 300' down the ridge is a cattle salt lick. there are more mule deer tracks around the salt lick than I have ever seen in one area.

It is evening, around 4:30. I tuck back into the the alavlance brush pocket to wait. At 5:20 (17:20) I see some movement (mule deer feet and legs) 10 yds under the brow move from right to left (the good way, since I am right handed). The deer was 55 yds when I saw him (range finder). At 45 yd when I got a good look at him. 3 points (western count) which would be an 8 point total. Good mass in the beam, shoulder and rump were well filled out. My guess is a good 3 yr old maybe 4. His path is going to take him behind a christmas tree that is 28 yds from me, I am going to use my 32yd string walking crawl and take him just as his head goes behind the Xmas tree.

He is five step from the Xmas tree. I have let my Leupold RX1 range finder fall free on the landard. 2 steps.....I look down at my crawl mark and reach for the string. I kept my bow pretty low even though I was on a stool. As I reached for my string my arm in my jacket push the RX1 (rough plastic hollow case) across the plastic buckle of my Bison fanny pack just as the buck head was one step from the tree. Two radar beam brown eyes lock on the RX1 in an instant. The big buck froze, moved his head left and drill holes in me with the radar eyes, move is head right my chest was getting hot from the beams. Jerked is head up and snortted me 5 or 6 times. He still hadn't fingered me yet but he know it weren't good, alot. He starts up and 1/4 away from me. gets 30 more yds angling to me on the quater and snorts my 3 or 4 more time.

Of course I knew it was over the instant I herd the RX1 scrape acorss of the back pack buckle. I stayed quiet and hide because I didn't want to move him out of the area. Of course, if ya hunted mule deer very much, ya know he circle around into my wind and stepped out about 80 yds behind me. Snortted twice and then all I saw was white butt heading for over yonder.

it was 15 minutes of maxium adernaline. I have never considered close encounters when my plan was coming together as failures if I didn't get a shot esp. on mule deer. My mule deer encounters average about 1 shoot in every 3 close encounter. I chose not to hunt them over the salt lick (not sure it would have been legal anyway). the salt lick was a gps mile from camp and a hellish climb down and up across the river. I am pretty sure my hunting buddies would have help hump out the deer but for the hump out it would have a dandy before I would drop the string. I had three more encounters with does on other days hunting the salt lick ridge but never tried to set up on them. Not that I have any against shooting a doe. I'd do it in a New York minute.....but much closer to camp

rusty

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
Oh boy... here comes another classic!  Keep it coming guys...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 02:06:00 AM »
This is gonna be a good one!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »
I'm just warming the audience up for some remarkable tales.

If you are an old geezer one great thing to have in camp is a really good warm tent and at 25yr old Jason in good shape to split wood.  

You go Jason  :)

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 03:35:00 AM »
Jason at the local singles bar looking for a date??  :)

rusty

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
Good stuff Rusty! Glad you were there. Also, I don't see your not killing the buck as a failure but instead an awsome encounter! Carry on! CK

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
I was hunting this yr with a DAS Elite 21" riser and Winstrom carbon ILF limbs

Now you might ask just how is a 21" DAS Elite riser colored flame red going to work with ILF limbs that are not camoed........I can tell ya just fine.

Here "RED" is paired up with a pair of  Winstorm Carbon 44# shorts.  I was shooting the limbs a 49#@28".  Coupled with a pair of Tamrack limb skins, the Elite blends right in with the Payette forest.  

I used Arrow Dynamics Nitro Lites with 125 magnus BH for a BH of 385gr and 195 fps.  I got on line and read that Idaho had lowered the arrow weight to 380 gr.

I hit Idaho at the top of my form.  I was putting the arrows on the spot  :)

rusty

--------------
non-tradtional recurve shooter

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
Can't wait for the rest o' the tales. Keep it coming!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
Oh boy, this is gonna be great!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Wow, Rusty, Yer typing and spelling got so good, I can't hardll read it anymore!  :)

Them some mighty fine story tellin and great pics..n' it's just warmin up!  Wow...thanks!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Well dang the ol' geezer got us going.  Cool!!

Well it was the best of times and the worst of times.  Nope I guess he already used that one.  Anyway, if you were paying attention before we left you know that at the last minute we had to change areas due to the big BBQ Idaho was having midstate.  Let me tell ya this is a big deal when you have nine years invested in learning an area and now you are headed to a place you have never seen before.  I tell ya Jason and I poured over topos and sat images for days to figure where to start.

The trip our was the typical 26 hours in the saddle.  Dead butts and jacked up anticipation was too order.  We left at 6 pm on Saturday to get a jump on the trip (usually leave at 0400) even though it ment spending two nights on the trail.  Made it to Amarillo at midnight and sacked out til 0600.  Then off we go again.  Miles went by quickly as states began to be seen in the rear view mirror.  Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Wyoming were blazing by.  We gave Vance and Charlie a call and made a north swing to break bread with them in a little town that excapes my mind.   It was cool to finally press the flesh with Vance after all these years of internet talk.  We ate and drank tea for an hour or so while sharing stories of past experiences and off we went.  Made it into Idaho before my eyes started slamming shut and it was time to stop.  

On the road again at 0600 with Boise in our sights.

Breakfast is ready.

I'll stop in off and on today to add to the story

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Now see, you'd have one fine hero shot if'n you didn't have a range finder.  :saywhat:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Rusty's been talking about bucks and cows with calves.  No bulls yet.  

I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall.  Chickens???

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
The trip to camp after a stop at Cabelas in Boise was quite eventful.  You see Jason and I had decided to camp "HIGH" this year and had a road that looked good to get there.  We need to look at the fine print.  Those itty bitty 4x4s don't mean that a 4x4 truck with a trailer should be going there.  We soon found ourselves in a rock climbing competion and look very hard for a place to turn around.  Finally we found a small turn around and were able to cross country a little to get back on the road headed down.  Dang we really wanted to get up there too.

After a couple of hours lost on the hill climb we were back in the valley and looking on every side road for a camp spot.  After a couple of blind runs we headed up a likely looking road.  Ran across a guy bailing off of his four wheeler and look like a cat with a bird in his mouth as we rounded a tight corner.  I couldn't help myself and stopped to ask him if there were any good camping spots ahead.  LOL

Anyway he said there were and we headed out.  We stopped at a crossroads and Jason walked down one as I headed for the creekbottom to answer natures call.  As I hit the woods I could see a clearing ahead and after taking care of business headed over to investigate.  WOW there is a great spot right on the stream with plenty of room for the new wall tent and the big kitchen.  We found the access road and quickly started getting camp set as the sun dipped towards the west.

More later.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©