INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Early Ohio Bow season 8 day pic journal  (Read 3160 times)

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
Early Ohio Bow season 8 day pic journal
« on: September 30, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
I really enjoy the threads on here going into detail about hunts,especially the ones with lots of pics. At the present time I can only dream about hunting far off places. We Are a one income growing family ,so for now i limited to hunting what is here in ohio. My writing and typing skills are very poor when compared to some of the great story tellers we have on here. This is my attempt of sharing my week off hunting ohio whitetails.
Saturday was opening day for the ohio bow season ,and it began with everything going wrong ,just like most of my opening day hunts go. I had to work friday night and after the long hour drive home I jumped in the shower and was ready to hit the woods. My wonderful wife had are six year old son easton ready and waitng for me when i got home. We ate a quick breakfast and were headed to a spot about 10 minutes drive fromthe house.
We got there and I layed out are giant ziplock bagsfull of close .

The ziplock bags were a gag gift from my mom for christmas last year.The bag work great for keeping the hunting cloths seerated and scent free.We were already late and daylight had come and gone. I went to get my hunting boots only to find that i had left them at the house
We had only gone a 100 yards when  things got worse. I coudn't get the gate open and knew we would make a lot of nosie crawling under the fence in allthe leaves.I pushed and pulled on the fence post and couldn't get the wire to budge. we finally had to crawl under it.

We made it the rest of the way ith no problems. here is a pic of the ground blind we hunted out of

More to come later.I'm taking the whole family out hunting this evening.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early Ohio Bow season 8 day pic journal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Great pictures thanks  for sharing in the hunt.  :archer:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Nice, great looking pics, love the looks of your longbow.  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
Nice start. I look forward to reading all about your hunts.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »
We got to the blind and got everything layed out and ready. Several of my buddies give me ahard time about taking easton hunting  with me all the time and tell me if i want to kill a big buck i'd leave him at the house. I just tell them there right and i have more fun spending time with him than i would looking at a mount onthe wall.

Easton loves the outdoors and spending time with him ,even when it does decrease my chances of getting any deer means more to me than killing an animal. He's started pulling coat hangers as hangers whenhe was little and he'd rather pretedn he is hunting than watch cartoons or play video games.

My hunting style is a little differant. some people  feel relaxed,and enjoy setting in a stand for hours watching the woods come alive and go to sleep. I get restless easy. I prefer to still hunt even on days that aren't the best for it.I feel so alive when sneaking through the woods.

Easton usally does good setting still ,but sat he was moving alot andhe asked if we could walk around. He's actually  very quiet slipping htough the woods and has a ball pickng up nuts and stuff. He'll pick all kinds of things in  and out of the woods and pretend there bows. He picked up some sticks and pretended he had his bow.

Every time he's sees deer poop he gets excitedand has to show me.

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket

Time to go hunting again.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
That young man needs him a bow pop! We can help you fix that problem if you need it...  :campfire:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
I agree with JC, the boy needs a bow and we can help.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hntnfsh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Looks like he's ready for a bow...  You know, if you'd like, us folks at OSTA (Ohio Society of Traditional Archers) can hook him up with a kids longbow and a half dozen arrows to start on.  No charge.  It's what we do.  Shoot me an e-mail and I can give you more info about OSTA (www.tradarchers.org).  I'm at [email protected]

John aka hntnfsh
Ask me about OSTA...

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing, ksb...can't wait to hear more!  My little guy is only 6 months, and I know all about limited woods time!  Yesterday was my only day out for who-knows-how-long, and the whole time I dreamed of the day my boy could come along.  Maybe he would've seen the doe that busted me while drawing on the other one!  :)

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
My "little guy" came over to shoot yesterday.  The first time we've shot together in 12 or more years.  We had a great time.  I've got to get him off those training wheels though!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline el cazador

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Great story so far!  I love the pics!  I know what you mean about spending time in the woods with your boy is more rewarding than a big buck.  

When I saw that last pic of him holding the sticks like a bow the first thing that came to mind was "that boy needs a real bow!"  Both of my boys shoot lefty so I'm not able to fix you up, they aren't ready to hand them down yet either.  It's great to see others step up to the plate.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »

Thanks for the offers of bows for easton. He has a selfbow made by osagetree that he loves to shoot . We usally dont take his bow with us on mornig hunts but do of an evening. The generous caring peopl on this site continue to amaze me everyday.

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
we saw a ton of squirrels. We scared a small deer ,that was only 15 yards away but the underbrush was so thick i couldn't see her until she ran off.
Saturday night i had to work so i slept instead of going hunting of an evening.

Sunday morning after work I decided to go for a walk in the woods. I was mainly stumpshooting and didn't take a shower or wear my camo. I wish now I would've showered and put on my hunting cloths. I saw 20 plus deer and one nice buck. # differant times i had deer coming to me and they saw me before they were close enough.I usally not much on camo but i do belive my dark blue seats is the reason i got picked off so much.
almost frogot  we got the wife a bow saturday . Its a compound and it has taken me 11 years to talk her into it and she siad in anoither elevn she might get a recuve.lol

More to come later.I got to watch the little girl while the wife andboy goes hunting.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Well, is Easton and your better half back home yet? I bet they are dragging meat!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:      :bigsmyl:      :bigsmyl:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Osagetree, They saw some ,but the wind was blwoing the wrong way and they got busted.

Sunday evening the whole family went out. My wife too easton and i took our little girl madison.Madison is mommies girl and she was not happy that mommy was taking the pic.lol

I didn't figure madison would be quiet enough to see any deer but i wanted to be close by incase the wife and boy needed me. We set up about 150 yards away from them. As soon as madison and i got to our spot we jumped a deer that was already feeding there. Madison was suprisingly very quiet and she enjoyed playing with our food

I missed the same squirrel twice and had no more squirrel arrows and madison was pointing at the squirrel going there he is.lol The wife and boy had a de walk right up to them but it came in from the wrong side and they goot busted.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
Keep it coming. I love it so far.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Monday morning I scared one on my way  to  my ground blind and was the only deer i saw all day.I only had one good shooting line .

I'm very impressed with how well the homemade back quiver made out of catatil reeds is holding up. Its ugly and it looks funny holding the alumunium arrows.lol

Teusday morning I again got busted going into my blind . I scared deer in everydirection. There is limited food this year and they must be staying closer to the foodsource becasue i'm scaring deer in the evenings and mornings going in. tuesday evening had to work on my truck so i didn't get to hunt.

Wed morning I again tried to get into the same spot I tried tuesday and bot busted again. I was frustrated and started sneaking around. I was walking down an old logging road when i saw a doe about 30 yards up in front of me. I strated closing the distance and had cut it to 20 when she started feeding away from me. Iwas going to try and parrell her on the road and catch up with her to get a shot. Squirrells were running all around us and we had both gotten to where we weren'tpayuing any attention to them, Big mistake on my part.I kept hearing nosie to my left and assumed it was a squirrel but it ended up being a nice buck. He was 20 yards away and in theopen. I drew back but it din't feel right so I let up. I shoot great at 20 as long as i shoot every day but i hadn't got to shoot much monday or tusday so i held off.The buck sloly fed clsoer and i again drew back but the hole i had to shoot through made me nervous so i again let up. I had to go under a limb close to me and over a limb close to the buck and I wasn't sure i could do it. The buck made his way to 10 yards from me but it was to brushy to shoot. Now squirrles were everywhere adn even thought the doe wasn't paying them any mind the buck was on full alert. I had nelt down and my foot got crmaped and i just moved an icn and he saw me and took of.

I was very frustrated adn  was trying to figure .

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Dang the luck!

keep it coming Scott!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
wed evening I took madison and my wife took easton. They saw a nice buck ,but scared it beofre getting a shot.

I took madison to a spot where there was a couple huge red oak trees and we just set up aginst one. I wasn't concrened about killing a deer at all on this hunt .This was about letting madison set and play in the woods.We set for 3 hours and she was very quiet.
Abou a half  hour before dark a doe came in from behind us and to our left.It was the only spo that we were exposed and the deer saw madison andjust stood thre stomping its foot and head bobbing. Madison didn't see the deer but when i told her what had been there she started pointg all around going deer,deer deer. We had a great time and cam very close to getting a shot.I had been avoiding taking madison to the woods like i had easton when he was younger since she was agirl. I dont mean that the way it sounds. I just didn't want to froce her to do something she didn't want to .the wife kept begging me to take her and after the first time she went she runs to the edge of the yard now ans says woods go and points.

Thursday I went fishing with my dad insterad of going hunting.

friday morning I didn't see any deer .

Friday evening I took easton to the spot where he and my wife had saw the nice buck. We had been there about an hour when I heard noise to our right.I had been reading a book and I put the book down and slowyl stood up to see what was coming. I saw a deers body about 50yards away heading toward us. I grabbed my longbow and tried to tuck myself up against the tree . The deer walked right into us and began feeding on red acorns. She was standing broadside at 15 yards,but i had to lean out and expsoe my self to shoot. As i drew back she looked at me ,but it was to late the muzzy phantom tipped arrow was on its way. The arrow flew harmlessly over her back by about 2 foot or more. She snorted ands slowly alked off unipressed with my shooting skils. I was devetated. I hate to admitt it but i was trying to come up with a way to convince my wife i needed to go by a compound after selling mine thi spring and telling her i wasn't using a compound anymore. After a while I knew i didn't want to buy a compound because after the first time shooting the longbow the compound didn't feel the same. I bounce back and forthe beteween the compound and longbow for a few years killing one doe with the longbow and several with the comound. Last season carrying the compound just felt werid and i wan't having as much fun so this spring i sold it.

Saturday morning I took easton and we didn't see anything. Saturday evening I mest Osagetree and 4 runner at some public property clost to the house. I had a great time bs ing and shooting with them. It was unbearable hot so we found someshade and shot a while and didn't go hunting til around 4:45. I didn't see any deer buthad a great time. i spent a long time setting onthis rock wathing the water go by.

It was extremly hot this week and the hunting was hard but i had a great time with family and friends and after all a bad week of hunting is better than a good week at work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©