INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Another elk adventure... the journey continues with pics!  (Read 3670 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Another elk adventure... the journey continues with pics!
« on: September 25, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
After a whole year of going over last years hunt in my head, what I would do different, where I should go, trying to guess the rut using the "Old Farmer's Almanac" and moon phases, praying, thinking, talking with anyone and everyone I know who successfully hunts elk here in Idaho and two scouting trips, it was time to load up the truck, hook up the trailer and head for the mountains... I was going to meet up with a couple other Trad Gangers.  I had never met either one, but having opened up my elk camp to any 'gangers, I was game for all those who could make it.  I sweated the details all year, hoping to really get into some elk.  I re-read every elk hunting book I have, borrowed some from the library and read and re-read those too.  
Long ago I decided on my time period of September 13th-27th, mainly because the rut should be going regardless of the weather by that time, but also because it was going to be a new moon, and I figured that with the extra darkness we might be more likely to see elk during shooting hours.  The area I choose is a special area to me, across the highway from a Lutheran summer camp I spent many summers at... in some of the most beautiful country anywhere in the world.  The aspens would be golden, the mornings crisp, a good chance of snow, and an almost 100% chance of rain at least once during the week....
I was able to get away and up to the mountain a day before the rest of the crew.  I quickly set up my little backpacking tent, threw out the tupperware boxes, dressed in my hunting clothes, strung my bow I had made a few months prior just for this adventure.  After marking my camp with the GPS, I was FINALLY heading out after a long year.  
Lots of photos to come, my camera is downloading almost 200...   I will try to post and write about the adventure so that those of you who can't make it out for your own elk adventure can live vicariously...
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another elk adventure... the journey continues with pics!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Lookin forward to it Mike
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Bring it on Ninja dude!  :thumbsup:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Anxiously waiting...
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Cool!  I just returned from an elk hunt and now I get to turn right around and go back!  Can't wait to come with you......
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Anxiously awaiting the story and pictures!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Sounds like another good campfire story.......I can't wait for this one.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Can't wait:)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
Come on Ninja let's go.I really wanted to go on this hunt but, wyoming lopes kept me away.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
Bring it ON, lets see the pics and hear the tale.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
You know, even the SLOWEST computer can download 200 pictures in less than 5 minutes...

ON WITH THE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:goldtooth:

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
By my calculations he is back a bit early...I wonder if that means anything?

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Sorry guys, it is taking forever for my computer/ connection to download these into photobucket.... I also forgot my church had a members banquet tonight, so I didn't get to work on the downloads much tonight.  Tomorrow night I'll at least get some more done....but I do have a softball game also tomorrow.

On with the story!

Now, where did I leave off?

Oh yeah, heading out on my own the first day, my own little opening day.  Temp was about 80 degrees (F), wind a little swirly.  on the way in, I had to put out some little "chortens" or piles of rock at the forks in the road in.  Our camp choice number one was taken, the only other group on the mountain.  So on the way out for the afternoon/ evening hnt I had to place one more pile.  My arms are full with my bow and a bunch of rocks.  I then headed south from camp, ghosting through the trees, pausing for long breaks to glass and watch.  The terrain is, here at least, a gentle slope to my left, flattening out into the valley floor to my right, wind in my face, sun at my 3:00 or so.  There is a bit of an opening on my right, I am hoping the edge cover will produce some elk sign, maybe a well used trail leading from the timberline down into the valley floor.  Just a finger meadow off of the floor, the opening looks promising and as it narrows I pick a pine tree to sit underneath and let the evening develop.  My back is to the tree and the wind seems to be both dying down and becoming a bit less sporadic in direction.  I see nothing but a squirrel and some birds, but enjoy the evening quiet.  It usually takes me a while to slow down after the drive and the stress of work/ everyday life, so I relish the time spent in "my" mountains.  I head back to camp, cook up some grub and watch the stars.  Fellas, if you haven't been in a "dark" area, an area without any light pollution, I can't tell you how amazing it is to look up, to see a million stars, see, actually see, the milky way.... there aren't enough words, cameras don't capture the wonder.... I used to lay on my back for hours and look at the stars, get up to take a leak, and lye back down, the other way and feel upside down.  If you haven't experienced this, put it on your list of things to do.  Amazing.  I slept well until the dogs woke me up.  At first I thought it might be wolves, it wasn't coyotes, and there were a lot of them.  5?  8?  10?  I couldn't count, but I knew if it was wolves, I was out of luck this year, on this mountain.... but then I put it all together, it was the sheep dogs!  Earlier I had seen a shepherd's wagon aways down south of camp.  
I woke up early and prepared a leisurely breakfast of oatmeal and coffee....

Man, I am tired of waiting for my pictures to upload, I am going to tease you guys once again and start posting the pictures tomorrow.... sorry to do it, but I can't post and upload at the same time.... but I promise to have lots of good pictures!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
I am looking forward to your story. I really wanted to share elk camp with you this year. Maybe next year.

Shawn

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Alright, alright...

Now, where was I?....

After my breakfast, I headed out uphill.  Straight uphill.  The morning air was crisp and I was bundled in two layers of wool, gloves and my fedora.  I could see my breath, the wind was still.  It should move uphill as the sun rises and warms the valley floor.  I climbed and climbed and climbed some more... at camp the elevation was a bit over 7000 feet, I probably climbed to 8000 before sitting under a little spruce.  In front of me the Stanley valley was waking up, the alpenglow was lighting up the far peaks of the Sawtooth range across the floor, but I would be in shade for at least another half hour.  I waited for my pulse to slow.  Squirrels scurried about barking at the chipmunks, a blue jay called out good morning and I prayed some, reflected on the coming morning and felt alive!

I had a close visitor who inspected me and found me fit to be in his domain, he wandered off after a while

>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I bugled and heard nothing but the woods silence.  I sat for as long as my rear end could take and resumed my goal of the ridgetop.  Idaho has had a very dry year, sub normal snowpacks, dry spring, hot summer.  There have been many large fires throughout the state, my mountain range had been spared this year, but it is always a fear that my area will be closed from fires.  The nearest fires were 100 miles away as the crow flies, but once I gained the ridge I could see the effects.

The ridge top was beautiful, I did my best to sneak over the top in the hopes that a mulie would be enjoying the morning sunshine.  No luck, but it was worth the climb.

>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
As you can see, the aspens were just turning golden.  Aspens are my favorate tree, I love how the fading sunlight filters through them like a stained glass window in a cathedral.  I love how they sound like wind chimes in the breeze and how they sound like drums when it rains.  The pure white of the trunks, the cool grasses under thier canopy.  

With nothing to show for the mornings hunt, I wondered weither Ausable or paleface had made it yet.  Ausable was coming from the San Francisco ay area, I figured it would take him10-12 hours.  I did the math in my head; Knowing he was probably leaving after work the day before, he might be in camp with any luck.  Paleface I wasn't so sure about.  Hadn't heard from him in a couple weeks, but he was coming all the way from Virginia.  I deccided I wouldn't be suprised if he showed up or didn't, and headed back down to camp.

Ausable/ Tim was there!  We had never met before,but I had opened up my camp to any and all tradgangers who wanted to come.... Although I enjoy hunting solo, it would be nice to have some company at camp.  I knew there were elk around, and I only hoped we could get my friends on some and life would be exciting...

Tim turned out to be a GREAT guy, I enjoyed his company, if you get a chance to meet this guy, do it.  Top notch, just like every other trad gang fella I have meet...

After a bit of camp set up for Tim and some get-to-know-yous, we headed out for an evening of hunting.  The valley floor south and west of camp was flooded with sheep... the dogs don't bark much during the day though.  We headed up the canyon, following Taylor creek into some aspens and sage meadows.  Tim busted some mulie does, (the exact number grew as the week went on!) so we christened that particular meadow "mulie meadow" from then on.  In the middle of the meadow is a rocky ridge perhaps 25 feet from the bottom of the draw to the top and we sat and enjoyed the view, scoping the valley floor and the Sawtooth range from our hides.  We had to take some cool vista shots for you all to drool over (please excuse the lack of photographer skills!)...
Tim X 2

Mike

Looking up the canyon towards the mountains peak.

>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
We hunted up to mulie meadow and seeing nothing besides the does, we headed back to camp and turned south, skirting the sheep... We came to another canyon that looked promising and hiked a ways up, settled down to glass for the evening.  I was farther towards the valley, hoping to ambush a big ol' bull or buck coming out of a side draw, Tim went farther upcanyon and scoped the meadows there.  The last photo was from my hide under an old aspen.  Here is another.

A picture across the canyon of a mountain called Abe's chair... can you see why?

A picture of my ugly-but-never-loose-em arrows.  First time I have ever put on lung rings.... I spent quite a bit of time tuning them to my bow, tipping them with 145 grain snuffers.  4x5 inch shields for those who are curious.  Don't know the grain weight, but they are pretty heavy.

and another self portrait scanning the basin ahead...
With the canyon wind blowing cold in our faces, and a fading light, it was time to head back to camp, empty game bags but full souls we trudged back in the dark and made dinner to nourish our legs for the next day.
Camp stove on the right, heating the water, lantern on the left, illuminating the subject at hand.

>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
We made plans over our evening meal to hunt north from camp the next day.  I slept like a rock.  We woke up and stuffed down a quick breakfast, heading out into the dark abyss.  After much huffing and puffing we found a great little outcropping of granite, we settled down to rehydrate and scan the surrounding mountain...

Tim and his B-E-A-UTIFUL Griffin bow. (pick of that to follow sometime in this story)

My home brewed bow (Zebra riser, cocobolo limbs, 58" total length, 57# @ 25.5", my first really successfull bow, 3# under weight, I am mighty proud of her, though I can't wait to build some more!)

And this is what you all missed.  God's Country!

>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
We hiked and hunted, glassed and watched.  Nothing.  We figured the elk were bedded down for the day and it was time for us to do something similar.  We headed back to camp and out to "town" to call our sweeties back home who so graciously allow us to hunt every year and fill our spiritual cups.  
Oh, yeah, on the drive out we saw this.

Might be hard to see, but it is a dandy pronghorn buck.  Deffinately a shooter!  And bow season is open!  OTC tags!  Our lucky day?  

Stay

tuned

to

find

out!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©