INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Mexico Wapiti Wanderings  (Read 11357 times)

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Mexico Wapiti Wanderings
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
SOS, we were in Unit 52. Joe shot his bull on the south/southeast slope of the deepest valley in the Cruces Basin Wilderness which is a relatively small area within the Carson National Forrest.

Chris, it was fun to watch Joe squirm while we waited to follow up on his bull. While we were sitting in the aspens, Trey says "where would you rather be than in an aspen forrest on such a day" and a second later a group of elk runs by about 60 yards up slope of us. Several cows and a couple of spikes. Priceless!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline StephenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Congrats guys....

Now Norb....You didn't cut your finger on this trip but did you spill some      ?????

Stephen

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Very sweet hunting stories; sweet pics.

Congrats Joe!!
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
...near the base of the sheer cliff we found a nice little area that had lots of fresh sign. We had just worked our way up a moderatley steep bench and Joe stayed down lower tucked away while I moved up further to set up. The small breeze was dripping over the ridge top down toward Joe. Looking around I saw two trails to the east, one side-hilling and one going up. The rest of the bowl looked impossible so I set up looking for an elk to come from one of the trails. Joe's sweet calls didn't bring any action.

We decided to see where the upward trending trail would take us. It was steep, muddy and had very fresh hoof prints showing an upward climb. Maybe it was the bull we'd heard coming in...

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Whip the quote below was what you posted on my thread last year when I took my first bull with a trad bow. I guess someday meant in one year. Way to go Whip!!!!
     Dan Fox

"That is cool Dan! Way to go! The fact you did it your way, with your recurve and holding out for a good bull makes it even that much sweeter. I hope someday to feel what you must be feeling right now. Thanks for sharing."
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
I remember your thread well Dan - you were my hero last year!  Now if I can continue following in your footsteps I'd love to take an animal with the LDB someday!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Wow That is a big Elk!!! Congrats! Great story and  great hunt! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
Congratulations Joe!!  Looks like you guys had a really good time.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Congratulations Whip!! That is my dream hunt someday, but today I got to live it threw your story and pictures. Thanks for sharing. Glenn
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I think Norbert must have taken the wrong trail up the mountain - haven't seen him in awhile.  I hope he has his GPS and can find his way back to this thread pretty soon to finish his story  :readit:  

In the meantime, here are some more pictures from our hunt.

Rain on the way

Didn't stop me from hunting though

And after it passes, the lighting was terrific!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Trey Wackman - aka "The Nuge"

Smiley

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Great pics Joe. Norb is on that West Coast "California" time so.................LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Smiley looks absolutely "aspen-ish"- blends right into those quakies with that camo!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »

Joe, Ohne, and Smiley

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Yeah Ray, both he and Ohne really carry the camo stuff to extremes - frosting their hair grey to blend in with the aspens.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2007, 03:38:00 AM »
Well Whip what can I say... other than job well done mate.

Thanks for the time spent telling the story and posting all the fine pics of that wonderful country side.

Hopefully that Tippit knife will get a work out here in Oz one day.

regards,

A.K.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Just beautiful!  And a great story to boot.
Seems like elk like to die on the steepest slope.  Did the offal go sloshing down the hill when you finally cut it free?  Or did you debone with out distrubing it?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
We did the gutless method - far less mess.  But as we were rolling him around to get the first hide quarter off I did notice some "elk pellets"  being squeezed out as we moved him.  When I took my boots off that night I found that one of them had found its way into my boot and was smeared all over my sock and the tongue of the boot.  

Even in death that bull got the last laugh!  :rolleyes:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Chris, we did the "gutless" method. We got everything except the internal tenderloins. The slope was a killer and it was hard to keep your footing while tugging on hide and holding legs!

.....anywho...Joe and I followed up the slick, steep trail, sometimes on all fours. There was fresh sign everywhere and the aroma of a bull snuck in and out on the breeze.

We got to the top of the ridge, probably around 10:30 or so. Sun was up strong. We stopped for a snack and to let our feet settle down. This late in the morning and after probably 3 or 4 miles of hunting we were thinking that the morning was about played out. For fun, we both let loose with our best bugles. I think I got you beat there Joe!   :goldtooth:  

We chose our return path to camp (one was steep, the other long). We chose the long way. We walked slowly along the ridgetop generally toward camp which was relatively open with some aspens and more spruce. We had the breeze in our favor and we'd walked a 100 yards or so and both stopped dead in our tracks. STRONG elk aroma filled our nostrils.

I set up about 30 yards ahead of Joe, kneeling at the base of a big spruce with juniper bushes at the base. There was an open passage that passed in front of me in both directions.  Joe let out a couple of estrus whines and within seconds the sound of galloping hooves came from my left.

I couldn't believe my eyes as a beautiful 6x6 came roaring in to about 15 yards and stopped with only his head and shoulders exposed behind a large spruce. His head was raised, eyes bugged out and nostrils flaring. He cautiously stepped out into an open shooting lane. I had about 5 yards of space before he would pass behind another tree. I made the slightest movement to try to bring my bow up from my knee as he neared broadside. He caught the movement and turned inside out and bolted back about 10 yards between two spruce trees. DAMN!

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
CONGRATS WHIPPER my friend. Great story and pics. Can't wait to hear it all in person.<><><>
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©