INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Mexico Wapiti Wanderings  (Read 11356 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Mexico Wapiti Wanderings
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »
Oh wow, you guys had a great trip to say the least. Now Norb's gonna poke one???

Grat job Joe! Really happy for you! CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Yer stretchin this one out right fine fellers....but we need a morning installment   :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
On Monday Norbert and I took the day off to give my bull a pickup truck ride to the butcher in Antonito CO.  Since I had taken him so early in the week I thought it best to just take the meat in for processing, and then could just pick up the nicely wrapped and frozen packages on the way home.  

We had lunch in the local diner, and stopped to fill up with gas.  While standing at the pumps a guy approached us and asked about Trad Gang.  Norb had his TG shirt on, and stopped to visit.  I wish I would have written down his name, because it escapes me now.  He said he checks in here often but doesn't post very much.  I hope he sees this and says hello!  :wavey:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
On Wednesday morning the four of us went back to the area I had shot my bull with the plan to walk in a ways before spliting into pairs.  We hadn't gone far in the predawn light from the truck when we spooked a very nice 6x6 out of a meadow. Dang!

Continuing on, a spike was spotted feeding just ahead, and we backed off to try a set up.  I'm not sure whether he spotted us before we set up, or maybe a wind swirl gave us away, but we never saw him again.

Finally splitting up, I went low with Smiley, while Ohne and Norb took the high side.  Within a few hundred yards Smiley again spotted a bull feeding just below him.  I backed off to get Smiley between me and the animal, set up a Montana decoy, and began calling.  Within 5 minutes, here he came, sneaking in silently!

Everything looked perfect except for one very major detail - in his approach to within sight of the decoy he had circled downwind.  The closest he got to Smiley was probably 50-60 yards before backing out and walking out of our lives.  Dang again!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Out of the four of us, the one with the most opportunities during the week was Ohne.  I have hunted with him for many years, and although he hasn't made the switch to traditional equipment, he is one of the finest hunters I know.  He had multiple close encounters, and probably even some borderline shot opportunities.  But he is extremely careful with his shot selection and never even drew his bow during the week in spite of being within range of a number of very nice bulls.  

I think the only thing holding Ohne back from trying traditional gear is his fear of the possibility of wounding an animal.  I have full respect for his position, but I have encouraged him to give it a try and simply just make sure to limit his effective range.  I know he would be fine and very succesful if he does try, and I really think eventually he will.  But that is a decision only he can make, and he will do it when he is ready.

In any case, his ethics and hunting ability are what make him a great partner, and I am happy to share a camp with him regardless of what he choses to carry.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Great Joe, your documentary was fantastic. Must have been that practice session we had on the rabbit in your back yard. Congratulations.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Sounds like Ohne is the kind of guy you love to spend time hunting with. That's very important.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©