INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Mexico Wapiti Wanderings  (Read 11359 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Mexico Wapiti Wanderings
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks for taking us along.  What unit in NM?  I hunted one year between Taos and Red River when I lived out there.  The other two years were right across the border into So Colorado northeast of Chama.  Truly beautiful country, a great hunt and a wonderful bull!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Whip,

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!  I'm proud of your determination and sprit.  You have paid your dues and learned how to hunt elk over the last several trips.  I believe good things come to good people in time.  You are one of the good guys in the this world and I sure am happy for you.  

That picture of you sitting down after the shot is worth a thousand words.  Adrenaline, exhaustion, and happiness all rolled into one!  Great picture Norb.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Great stories guys. I'm in NM and hunted unit 50 in the Cruces basin my first year elk hunting.
I went with 2 first time bowhunters and 1 shot a mulie at the bottom and the other shot a cow elk.
After packing those 2 out I didn't even want to walk down there again much less have to pack another animal out.
I've hunted the Gila and Jemez since but am looking forward to another Northern NM elk hunt if I can only draw.

Dave

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and for coming along on our trip.  It really was a highlight for me after many years of trying.  I couldn't wait to get back on here and share it with you all.  

Now Norb, what about that steep hillside you were about to climb??
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Yeah, Norb...  I'm betting there was a trail that looked like a superhighway snaking through the rocks.  And there were a couple sweet ambush spots along the way.  No sarcasm here -- it just REALLY looks that way in the photo.  And maybe even a nice hidden spring that's been wallowed...     :readit:  

That area looks fabulous.  Lots of broken terrain, big elevation changes, water, big stands of aspen...  my idea of classic elk country.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Joe,  Way to go!  I couldn't be happier for you  :thumbsup:  Now what's Norb...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Joe, great story telling and pictures.  Enjoy those elk steaks, you earned them.  Looking forward to hearing the story again next spring in TX.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
Congrats Joe!  :thumbsup:   Keep it coming Norb.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2007, 05:09:00 AM »
wow Joe...what an amazing hunt thanks for sharing it with us, realy made my day seein a nice big elk on the ground and a BIG smile.
To me there is realy nothing better than hunting with good friends in such a beautifull place, you earned every last bit of that success, a big congrats from everyone here with me on the other side of the world!
cheers
Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Just way cool Joe! (or as they used to say in California...bitchin dude!)  :thumbsup:  

What kind a broadhead did you use... maybe I missed it in your story.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie,
Wensel Woodsman broadhead with brass inserts on Carbonwood 4000's.  About 265 grains up front, and total I think was around 610 grains.  Bow was a Robertson Vison Falcon TD that I picked up here on the classifieds.  57# @ 29".

I also forgot to mention what I think was the special secert to success - Limb bolts I received as a gift from Sticshooter and Shell.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
Congratulations on the elk, Whip!!!

Love those limb bolts.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Did you take time to do a post mortem inspection of the damage done by the broadhead?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
Still enjoying the story....Norb? Oh yeah, he's in Cali...they sleep late.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
No autopsy results unfortunately.    "[dntthnk]"   Since the arrow entered so far back it did go through some "unpleasant" organs on its way, and the inside was a little "messy".  That wouldn't narmally stop me by itself, but we were really concerned about the meat and the increasing heat of the day so we took off to retreive pack frames as soon as we had everything bagged up.  

I do think what happened inside was pretty devestating though.  With only the back 5 inches of the arrow sticking out just in front of the hip I'm guessing that as he ran away each time he brought his rear leg forward he was working that arrow back and forth inside and it just tore him apart.  Sometimes good things can happen even when the shot placement is less than ideal.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Absolutely awesome story guys! Congrats on the Elk Whip! That there is a trip that will never be forgoten!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Wow, Congrats on the elk Whip   :campfire:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
Congratulations on the wonderful Elk!!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Man, that's cool!!    :thumbsup:     Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
If you look at the first picture of the elk on page 4, you can see a small dot and blood trickle. That was the off side. Joe's arrow entered just above the hip on the other side and was buried to the fletching. When we skinned it, we looked for the broadhead (trying not to get cut up!). We didn't see it but it must have been just below the ribs. The hole in the hide was definitely from the 3 blade Wenzle. Joe later found the arrow minus the broadhead.

Let's just say that the hydraulic pressure from the elk lying down on a 60 degree slope pushing on the entry hole cause some interesting carving...  :o
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©