INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Back from ID elk W/pics  (Read 5309 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from ID elk W/pics
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the info on the bird Woody. JC I got a canon powershot S3IS this year. I love it. It is a little bulky, but I am not at the point of taking pictures before I try to shoot animals so it is perfect.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Fri 21st Back in the same canyon to have a go with "my" bull. I told Dad I was going to kill him today. We started out in the bottom again at first light. We then heard his bugle, this time down the canyon a ways. I told Dad I'm going after him if he wanted to come he was more than welcome. Again the bull bugled off and on for about an hour as we worked through the thick willows under the pines. We got to about 150 yards of his bugles, when I saw an elk on the opposite ridge about 100 yards away and closing. He was a 4x5 and kept coming at an angle to our right. I signaled to dad to back up so one of us might get a shot. The wind was right and I the bull crossed our ridge I could see bits and pieces about 20 yards away. He then turned towards us and I got ready for whatlooked to be a 5 yard shot. I sat and waited, and waited, AND WAITED! The bull then made an about face at about ten yards and went back the way he came. The wind was right, I figured he just didn't feel right. The bull came out at 50 yards and stood in the open slightly quartering away. Man the bad luck, He couldn't be 20 yards closer. He then went over the ridge he appeared on and disappeared towards the herd bull. I told Dad we needed to get over there, and fast! We cut down the hill to get some more of the wind and got on top of the ridge the raghorn had just dissappeared over. The herd bull was just on the other side and let out a thunderous bugle. I started a soft cow call series to see if he would respond. He didn't, but his cows started going nuts! They were squeeling and calling back at the "lost" cow. Down the valley about 80 yards away I could see elk starting to filter out of the pines. All I could see were cows and calves. The bull voiced his outrage at his ladies leaving him. Ilooked up the ridge to see another elk coming towards me. I couldn't tell what it was but thought it might be a satelite coming in to see what all the commotion was about. I looked back and starteled a calf that had come right towards us. She was about ten feet away trying to find the cow she knew was up there. She bolted and headed toward the other elk up the ridge. I continued to call, the bull was screaming. I happened to look up and there about 20 yards away I could see antlers through the willows. I called one more time and came to full draw.

The 4 pt bull stepped out into the opening broadside slightly uphill. The string slipped from my fingers and a ball of white feathers dissappeared into the sid e of the bull!! Holy cow, I think I just did it, the shot was a little high and a little back, but I was sure I hit liver. I cow called, then heard a crash below me. This has got to be good!! I called some more and tried not to throw up. I signaled to my Dad to come up. He said he saw a 4 pt walk through the trees but couldn't see any blood. We figured it was a different bull. We waited about an hour and a half. We walked up to where the bull was standing.

Good sign, my arrow and some blood. We started tracking and had a little blood for about 100 yards. Then it stopped. I couldn't believe it. No not this time, I made a good shot. We started doing the circle around the last blood. Nothing! I asked Dad wher he had seen the bull walk through, we went there and there it was, more blood. My hopes skyrocketed as we had been making circle for about 2 hours. The blod was good for another 50 yards then stopped. I again circled the area, for about a half mile. I then came back and did a grid search evry 10-20 yards for a mile. Nothing. By about 4 I was heart broken, it was so thick I'd almost have to step on him to find him, and yet there was no blood. Now I really had to try to not throw up. I continued a search til dark but to no avail. My bad luck streak on elk continued.
 The reason for putting this part of the story in is not to say" look at me I hit an elk!" I am still sick and wonder what I could have done different. Looking back at the shot, it was high but under the spine. Since the bull was on an uphill angle it exited even higher. I think that I missed everything. On similar hits where all you hit is muscle the blood trail looked the same, decent blood for a couple hundred yards then nothing. I am still heart broken, and like anyone else that has done this wished I could have it back. I hope that no one is offended by this. The next day on Sat. I pretty much went hiking and looking for grouse. I did find some on Sat evening and managed to pick a spot and connect on a small ruffed.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks for tagging along, I sure wished I would have had a bit more luck on my side. I practice every day and am a decent shot out to 30 yards. I made the cardinal sin on shooting an animal and didn't pick a spot. I resolve to work on that part of my shooting even more this year. Again I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I have replayed this shot a million time in my head and am still sick over it. This will haunt me for the rest of my life. I only hope to learn from my mistakes and pray that the bull didn't suffer. The hunt was a ball and I look forward to next year.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing...Great photos! A first class story from start to finish, despite the rough ending.

I'm sure you'll find that most of the folks on this site have been in your shoes or will eventually, if they hunt long enough. We all have a few shots and decisions in our past we'd like to forget. Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes and the good shots out way the bad ones.

Elk hunting with your Dad!....   Wow!  That alone is a blessing I hope to one day enjoy with my son!

Tim

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by steadman:
I called some more and tried not to throw up. I signaled to my Dad to come up.
Now that's funny right thar, I don't care who ya are! LOL, I sympathise 100% with that feeling right there    :readit:

Not making fun of your plight at all...I just know that feeling bro. Sorry you didn't find him; rest up, recoup, practice some more and get back out there after em.

Thanks for sharing, great story and beautiful photos.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
Nice story telling!  That middle pic of the mountains is my newest desktop wallpaper.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Man it happens, it is a shame but I would almost bet money he is still walkin and probably well on his way to being healed up. I messed up like that on a doe (back in wheelie days) couldn't find her, no good bllod and I knocked her down when it hit. Like you I was sick! but then she was killed during gun season apparently doin fine. A friend showed me part of the arrow that stayed with her, said it was lodged inbetween front shoulders.

Hate for your luck but, it happens, you learned, all is well.

Lader

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes, it does happen unfortunately. I have been calling this my elk curse, but I was wrong about that as well. There is no curse as long as I can chase those wonderful animals up and down the most beautiful country in the world. I now call it just old fashioned bad luck   ;)  
One of these years I will get lucky and it WILL all come together.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Love the lines on your bow at brace! CK

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Steadman,
I enjoyed you taking me along...one of these days, I'll be chasing elk myself. As for the outcome...well, that's the only way we really learn anything.
homebru

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks again for the kind words, it does help some. Thanks for the compliment on the bow Curtis, I made it earlier this year. Thanks to everyone and good luck to everyone this year

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Ryan,

Great story, and great hunt.  Those magical mornings when the elk are on fire make the hot, cold, sweat, fatigue, frustration, etc. all worth it.  Don't beat yourself up too bad, as already mentioned it has or will happen to all of us at some time, but yeah I am sure it hurts.  Maybe we can find them in the extended area, they should be bugling.

Nathan

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
Great pic's!! what kind of camera were you using??

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Great photos and story.  It's great that you spent the time and effort to allow everyone to be a part of your hunt.  It was great.
Sorry about losing the bull.  I had the same thing happen about 10 years ago so I know how you feel.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Great story Steadman, Nice pictures by the way.
There is something special about elk hunting and elk camp, It's hard to describe until you have been there and done it. Thanks for the story   :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Great story!

I am sorry to hear about the bull.  Gives us a good reason to get together a bunch and shoot.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Olebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Steadman:  Hang in there bud!  You had a wonderful hunt...just some tough luck.
Thanks for taking us all along with a great story.
Good to see another Utah trad-guy out there in the
mountains after elk.  Olebow

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
Don't sweat it brother. You were an inch away from a trophy of a lifetime. That bull is up on the slopes chasing cows as we speak. It's all part of the hunt and you should not carry any extra burden. Good hunt, I only wish I could of been as good as you and had a close encounter like yours.

Tim
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Excellent pictures and tale. Thanks for sharing them with us.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
I would like to echo what everyone else has said.  Truly a blessing to bunt with your dad, and am truly sorry for the ending.  I can sympathize 100%.  Best wishes to the rest of your season and to a good rebound next season.

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©