INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***  (Read 40341 times)

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Opening weekend in Tennessee. 15 ft up, 17 yard, double lung shot with a Voodoo Kustom Longbow, CX350/Landshark.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Took this doe (my first with a longbow) last night (Ohio's deer archery opening day) right about last light and I'll admit I had some judgment lapses.  It had been raining off and on all day - not when I shot but it would be again soon.  Also, I'm not too big on shooting in the evening - tracking in the dark seems iffy.

Well, I got an opportunity I couldn't pass up and took it.  Didn't see the hit.  Couldn't find sign or an arrow.   Lame.  Searched for 2-3 hours in the dark and in the rain (which started again shortly after I took my shot).  My bulb on my primary flashlight croaked so I switched to my backup.  >:-(  Nothing.

Went home for the night and tossed/turned for most of it as rain drummed against our windows.  Spent the night praying about it as well.  After church this morning, my son and I went out determined to find an arrow or a body or something - no way there was going to be blood.  Dylan prayed about it as well and very shortly, found her in some impossibly thick stuff.

Apparently when I dropped the string she turned into me and took a step before impact.  My shot was further back than I had planned (entrance liver, exit far side ham) but my 60# @ 29 HH Halfbreed did a great job pushing my Magnus two-blade tipped Carbon Express Heritage 250 most of the way through that crummy angle.

Thankfully we were able to get her dressed, dragged, tagged and deposited at the butcher before people started closing up shop for the day.

Oh - the picture isn't a typical one, but honestly, I wanted her out of the woods and at the butchers ASAP - no time for nice hero shots.  In that pic, I'm dragging her (though Dylan did most of that work) with my tomahawk looped through some rope around her forelegs.

For what it's worth - I was still-hunting on public land.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
My buddy Benny and my moose camp was over run by WOLVES!  There was moose sign in the area but it was all really old.

We left camp on three occasions to specifically hunt wolves since they were howling nearby for days.  I got to 14 paces on one while still hunting and here is the results!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
nice shot, Kibok! I've always admired the roe deeer as a beautiful species no matter what size they are...really neat animals and beautiful terrain as well.

Congratulations.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline acorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Thats a nice pick Steve. Thats a great wolf , what did he weigh. He almost looks like a German Shephard. I bet he was surprised when that broadhead slipped through him. He probably wasn't used to being prey.

Offline Emilio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
what a beautiful animal Steve, it looks a nice size wolf isn´t it??

Congrats on the hunt and pic.

Offline chris_qc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Bravo Steve,

In my neck of the woods, only the best hunters can claim to be wolf hunters!

Chris.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve H.:
My buddy Benny and my moose camp was over run by WOLVES!  There was moose sign in the area but it was all really old.

We left camp on three occasions to specifically hunt wolves since they were howling nearby for days.  I got to 14 paces on one while still hunting and here is the results!

wahoaouuuu ! with a bow it's a dream !!!

congratulations !!!
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline nate c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
+1 - Congrats Steve.
64" Mohawk TD 55#@29.5

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Congratulations on a well earned trophy and thanks for helping us regulate these critters.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Here are the results of my first trip out West hunting Antelope. I took him on the 20th of September. I was hunting a fence opening into an alfalfa field and the Antelope rut was in full swing. My buck chased another buck at Mach 10 across the field and through the fence opening, he stopped just short of the opening standing broadside at 23 yards. A Gold Tip Traditional 55/75 tipped with a weighted Woodsman did the job out of a RER Little River longbow. Took out both lungs and this bugger still made it 250 yards before piling up!

You can read the full story and see all of our pictures at  Wyoming, an Antelope Adventure and "out west" learning experience .

My buddy Drew took a nice Antelope buck as well and Tim had a fantastic time even eating tag soup... he did have a few good opportunites though  :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Steve's wolf pic captures the deep woods and luv2hunt's antelope photo captures the majesty of West.  Good stuff.

This picture captures the grit of a down and dirty and fairly miraculous cornfield recovery of a nice buck shot a little back at last light after a successful stalk in that cornfield.  I put together a few pics and story labeled as 30mph wind or something like that.  Here's where I recovered him, after the coyotes beat me to his back half.  

If the mods can make this photo larger, great.  I do not understand/get/get along with Photobucket.   :(
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
the colors in luv2hunts photos are awesome.  the goats a good one too!  

nice job bryce - good buck!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Nice buck Bryce!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Great job everyone.The photos keep me inspired.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
Shot this ol' gal this morning.  53# JD Berry Taipan, CX150 shaft, and a Griz 190 head kept dry and razor sharp in my Arrow Master quiver.  She was at five yards facing away so I waited for her to give me the angle and I shot her through the back and out the heart.

The Griz 190 "S" cut:

"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Nice touch!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

Here's a picture of my latest deer from SWMNV resident traditional
bowhunter. The deer was taken on private property in Stafford county. I got
in the stand at about 5:00 pm, at around 5:50 I had 3 does and a spike
coming toward me on a hillside. I had made my mind up that the first deer to
offer a shot I would take. They came from my right and the does spooked some
and moved down the hillside. The spike came in an circled behind my tree.
When he cleared to my left and offered a shot at 25 paces I let fly and made
a perfect quartering away shot and a pass through. He ran 80 yards and crash
rolling down hill another 20 yards. I went and collected my friend who's
property we were on, got the 4 wheeler and picked up my deer. All in all a
good afternoon after work.

54# Predator Classic, Gold Tip 5575 traditional, Zwickey Eskimo w/125gr steel insert.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
My first primitive kill. 64" snake backed osage, 52# @ 29". Cedar, woodsmans.

Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©