INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***  (Read 40342 times)

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS Alex!!!!! Is that VooDoo Child?     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Other than getting a little wet I really like the misty rainy hunts. I think the deer move more during these type days. Two mature does with their two fawns came feeding around the back edge of this soybean field. One mama wondered a little to close. The Silvertip placed a perfect arrow. My traditional only tipped with the Magnus Stinger did its job and proceeded to stick in the mud 4 inches deep on the opposite side of her. She ran 50 yards and tumped over in the beans. Thanks to Ron at KME for the super sharp edge.

58" 50lb @ 28" Schafer Silvertip

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »

When I collected my buck Saturday I tried to create a path of less resistance for deer to enter the cornfield by knocking down a trail with pickup through the beat up endrows (nothing left) that have been overtaken completely by foxtail and other grasses.  I've noticed the deer aren't real comfortable going in and sometimes they will bound into it with a real high leaping form not unlike a dog in high cover.  So I made it easier for them and then returned last night to test the early results.

Posted up just downwind of my trail and while my own visibility is limited, I had at least 3 baldies coming my way (actually all looked like adult does).  First one to give me a good shot got center punched through both lungs at about 10 yards; she ran about 55 yards.  Pretty cool way to hunt deer.  Used my Pronghorn and a Woodsman head.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
So, Bryce, ya feeding the needy down in Nebrasker again with all them deers?
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Luck was in my favor tonight. At about 6:30 PM had a nice six- point Whitetail appear 35 yards out at 12:00 o'clock. He walked right into me and turned broadside at 5-6 yards. When he put his head down I picked my spot drew the Dwyer and sent a Magnus 1 two blade into the crease. The deer bolted through some pole Aspen and the arrow was torn out. Immediately I was concerned about depth of penetration. I waited fifteen minutes and snuck out of my stand and walked back to my house. After an hour I went back, found my arrow with good red blood on the shaft and after a 100 yard blood trail found my fine buck. It was a good day! Grilled back strap for dinner tomorrow.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
Here's a few boars I shot on a recent trip to Cape York, Australia.

Click here for story
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Congrats to our brothers across the pond on some mean lookin hogs.Thats gotta be fun.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Finally got a photobucket account and you guys can finally put a face with the name....these are all 2009 harvest...nothing big but trophies nonetheless...here we go, this is a hog i took at the end of January. i used my hoyt gamemaster and steel force 2 blades!!

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Dove season with my new chekmate... can you say lucky shot:) as you can see i use a clicker on every bow. and it makes shooting consistent easier:)    

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
heres a unique one....was out scouting and got this guy with a magnus 2 blade and the ole hoyt. good eating and a nice shell to display.

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
Opening Day success. I saw about 13 deer that morning. This one came out in front of me
  moviig from my left to my right through the brush, and at 17 yards I doubled lunged her. She ran off down hill towards a stream, which is where I found her. Good Luck to all this season. Shoot Straight and Good Hunting.

Tony Sanders/aka"SNUFFER"

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Nice shot Tony!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Tony   That is right where the text book says to shoot them  good job.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks fellows. I hope you all have a great season. Shoot Straight and Good Hunting.

Tony Sanders/aka"SNUFFER"

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
Yeah, Mark U, I have a waiting list of co-workers who take my extra venison.  Some non-hunters (like the little old English teacher down the hall), and others that are bird-hunters or fishermen.  This year I have four deer spoken for.

I also have four primary farms I hunt.  Fortunately, having grown up in the area I still have landowners who know me and my parents and we still have places to go.  About the only way you are going to get on private ground around here (too close to Lincoln/Omaha).  Each of these landowners wants us to kill more deer.  I personally would be quite happy to go through a fall and get a nice buck or two and leave the does alone.  But I also know the political value in being able to show the farmers that I have taken x-number of does (and each of them is like removing 3 deer from the population when you count the two fawns they'd have next year).  So...

Took another doe fairly early Sat. afternoon on a different property.  The doe was wired so had decided to pass on the shot but then she began scratching her nose with her opposite rear hoof.  No way she's gonna jump string doing that!

Ended up hitting low at 20 yards--right on/through the elbow and into the chest cavity just below/behind the heart.  This trail was a first for me.  Blood trail was at least 1000 yards!  That's a THOUSAND, not hundred.  Arrow stayed in 300+ yards and most of the blood trail was a 'walker' although I took it slow in case a follow-up presented itself.  An hour later and the deer had gone well over a half-mile and possibly 3/4 mile, and I come up on her...I think she'd just bled completely out as there was no damage to the heart.  

We're in the middle of a three-day antlerless rifle season too hence the blaze orange.

A lesson here is to stay on the blood even if convinced it is a flesh wound.  Obviously I would never quit as long as I had blood, and even after that would do a grid search, but this was quite a trail.  I've included a picture of the entry wound so you can see where I hit.  Notice the burrs (beggar's lice) all over the deer.  That was fun picking those out after the hunt (at least they come off the Sitka stuff fairly easy but there were HUNDREDS).
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Its great to see all of your pictures and stories, and congrats to all of your succes

Our deer hunting season starts in nov 27 and runs until last days of January ,

So I am anxiously waiting

So to help with the blues I headed to a friends place which has some rams and hogs,

When I got out of camp in the morning there was no wind so my plan was to go up the mountain and glass, I took about 40 minutes to walk up and was focused just to get on top , When i am about to arrive I  feel a steady wind in my face that came from the other side I arrive to the top and

15 yds away and to the bottom of the mountain 6 corsican rams where bedded.

I came back some steps down and lighted my gear
left my fanny pack and my side quiver, and only took my bow.

I sat looking at them where I can see them but barely be seen. I am there enjoying the moment I never imagined these will happen and I am very relaxed and breathing heavily  1st because of the 40 min uphill workout and next because i had a clear chance for a shot, the sun was barely rising and my body felt warm and complete, 10 minutes after i am sitting and waiting, I move my foot and hit a rock making the worst noise ,

I feel as if I  ruined the hunt , and I close my eyes to wrap my anger, I see where only 3 of them stand up and one of them  comes up toward me to investigate the noise,

I dont move a thing I am just a statue and he walks up to me and stared at me at about 7yds by these time i dont know what to do, he is staring at me but i can not take a front shot and i can not draw either so I wait very nervously , when he decides I am no threat he turns to go back down I draw on him and let it go, my yellow fletching dissapears right on the spot quartering to the front shoulder, he ran down the mountian for 60 yds It was a thrill , and here i share my pics,

thanks

Gerardo
60" Whip Longbow 56@28 with wooden cedar arrows 60/65 WW woodsman 125gr upfront
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Nice Corsican Ram Geraldo
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Hey guys, good huntin! Brandon ,love them turtles! Tony, nice looking doe! Bryce, great tracking job, and every time I read you posts, I feel alot of similar things in our hunting places. Gerardo, that is a Beauty of a ram, A trophy most of us here would never get a shot at, congrats. Keep em coming and good shootin, Steve

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Nailed a fierce ground grizzly today.  I was between him and his hole and he was preoccupied (as I learned later) watching a coyote out in the field beyond.

The fletching is positioned like that to hide some of the damage.  Ace Hex Head to the head - game over.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©