INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Worst Idea Ever...HUNTING ALERT!!! READ & EMAIL!  (Read 55778 times)

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Worst Idea Ever...HUNTING ALERT!!! READ & EMAIL!
« Reply #320 on: June 14, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
Thanx all,
I just sent an email to The Michigan department of agriculture also. I'll post their response.
 http://michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1572-85723--,00.html
I'll write to the ones listed above asap
Thanx again,
Aram

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: June 14, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
Guys:

Here is a cut and paste from the NSSF's "Bullet Points" from yesterday:

"PAY-PER-VIEW, SHOOT-AND-RELEASE HUNTING TOURNEY...Imagine a televised hunting tournament, with a roster of professionals competing each week like NASCAR drivers. A cameraman accompanies each hunter as they shoot deer with dart guns, immobilizing prey long enough for scoring. At the end of the season, winners receive big cash and prizes. It's all part of the vision of the new World Hunting Association (WHA), which last week announced that hunting now has its own professional sports league, with a worldwide tour kicking off later this year. WHA's founder will serve as the league's commissioner. NSSF doubts the concept's legal and public health viability. Moreover, in an interview with the Midland (Mich.) Daily News, NSSF likened the whole thing to the ongoing debacle over remote Internet hunting: It's all merely the latest bad idea du jour for perverting a noble heritage into a huckster's sideshow, and one more disservice to the tradition, purpose and image of hunting. Unfortunately, media attention to WHA is spreading fast."

My contact at NSSF tell me they (NSSF) is on top of this.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Tony Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
Archery talk has one of the choosen hunters there, here is the link:
 http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=338104&highlight=hunt
Tony Phillips
“What we do in life echoes in eternity”

56" Striker Stinger
52" Saluki Scythian
54" Saluki Turk

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: June 14, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »
Please write letters of support to this lady. Karlene Belyea. She is the director of the Michigan Veterinary Medical Association. Her investigation could very well put an end to this before it ever gets to start! Please keep the tone respectful and factual, she's on our side folks.

[email protected]
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: June 14, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
This is the reply I got from her yesterday. I'll be in touch with her again. She needs to hear support from more of us though.

Dear Kurt,

Thank you for contacting me.  I was unaware of this situation.  I'd like to contact a few of my colleagues and get back with you.  I'll be in touch soon.

Karlene
"What is written on the scroll of Fate is not visible; but with a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in search of adventure"..... Saxton Pope

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »
Yikes...that guy is on drugs! He's comparing it to catch and release fishing.

I'm getting too old for this crap. When they quit teaching LOGIC in public school they began this downward spiral of intelligence in the citizens of this country.

Dumbing us down is what makes stuff like this possible.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
Vermont I sent one to Mrs. Belyea...
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline Texasrecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: June 14, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
Wow, I cannot believe the great job everyone is doing with the ideas of who to contact and their phone numbers and email addresses. Please take a few minutes to make some calls and write some emails. Every single one will help. This clown from MI and his World Tranquilizer Tour needs to be SHUT DOWN and go back to selling houses or whatever he does. KEEP IT UP EVERYONE!! I see this as the single most threat to hunting that has EVER come down the pike. The idea of turning hunting into a televised competition with darted deer behind a high fence so the contestants can win money is PATHETIC. ANYONE, AND I MEAN ANYONE who sponsors this WTT will never see another penny from me.

TR

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
Got an email from Cabelas!

Dear Craig:

Thank you for your e-mail, which we believe to be referencing  http://www.worldhunt.com/.  It's always a pleasure hearing from our customers as to what they like and dislike, and we can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns regarding this endeavor.

Cabela's does not have any plans at this point in time to support or sponsor this "hunting tour". I would appreciate it if you could forward or provide any further details indicating the contrary, if you see them.

Cabela's does value your past patronage and support of our company, Craig, and we look forward to future opportunities to be of service.

Sincerely,
Cabela's, Inc.

Mark Speer
Customer Relations Site Manager

Sweet!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: June 14, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
Big news guys! The SCI finally decided to step up!

SCI Latest Statement
From Ken Schwartz ,

SCI Questions Concept of "World Hunting Association"

The "World Hunting Association" last week announced that it would stage a series of "tournament" professional hunting events this year, in which the game pursued would be shot with tranquilizer darts launched from bow hunting equipment. Participants would compete for much as $600,000 in prize money over the series of tournament events. SCI has serious concerns with attempts to "professionalize" the tradition of the hunt, particularly with cash rewards. In addition, the institution of "catch and release" tactics for hunting, using powerful sedatives, is highly questionable with regard to the future health of the game animals that are captured for the competition. While the group espouses the noble goals of increasing hunter recruitment and retention, SCI believes that education and outreach programs remain the best option for bring newcomers into the field. Likewise, SCI believes that conventional regulated hunting techniques, including due diligence on the part of hunters to prevent the wounding of game, are the only true definition of hunting. SCI President Mike Simpson told Crosshairs that "Hunting isn't bass fishing. It just doesn't translate to made-for-TV entertainment, conducted on a professional catch-and-release basis for cash rewards."
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
More news. Bass pro Shops is having a meeting right now on how publicly and hard they should come out against the WHA. NOW IS THE TIME TO CALL AND E-MAIL. WE NEED TO SUPPORT THEM IN THIS DECISION!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: June 14, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by hood_lum:
 the major organization that comes out and fights the WHA head on.
Not that we are anything major...but we/us/you ARE hitting WHA head on.  Many have posted on this thread and a few that aren't have done MUCH that's not even been mentioned here, they aren't even taking the time to post here.  This thread is the tip of the iceberg.  WHA is being hit from all directions at once.  

DO NOT LET UP...and allow them to GET UP.  Stay after em guys....amaizing what you all have done so far.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
Bass Pro Shops #  Anyone with the e-mail please post it. I can't put my hands on it right now.

1-800-976-6344.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »
Guys it's now official. Bass Pro Shops will release their official opposition statement no later than tomorrow and I'll post it here and soon as I receive it. You will be some of the first to see it guys! great work.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: June 14, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
This is my email to David Farbman, do you guys think its too harsh or anything?

Dear Mr. Farbman

It seems your sponsors for the WHA are running for cover! This abomination you call hunting is doing no service to hunting...In fact, it is a threat to this tradition I love so much. God gave us these creatures to protect, respect, and mange properly. Hunting is part of that circle, tranquilizing a deer so some jerk can boost his ego and win some money is NOT. Tell me sir, how are you going to keep those arrows from penetrating into the vitals to some degree when a bad shot is made? This is not hunting! May it never be described as something so vile! I hope you reconsider this horrible event and expand hunting in a much better way, such as an education and awareness program. This is just giving us hunters a bad name. It is disrespectful not only to us real hunters, but also to the animals you are so wrongly harming. As a bowhunter I am disgusted by this program.

Sincerely,
Craig Grounds

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: June 14, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
I know I already posted this, but this lady is real important to us right now and I want to make sure people see this. Thanks dave

Please write letters of support to this lady. Karlene Belyea. She is the director of the Michigan Veterinary Medical Association. Her investigation could very well put an end to this before it ever gets to start! Please keep the tone respectful and factual, she's on our side folks.

[email protected]
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: June 14, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
David,

Thanks again for your ardent pursuit of an end to this debauchery!  Here is my note to Ms. Belyea:

I am sure by now you have heard of the World “Hunting” Association’s (http://www.worldhunt.com/) plans to hold animal darting contests inside of pens for prize money and for the purpose of entertainment.  This is being billed as a hunting contest but they will be shooting at livestock inside fenced areas at the Lost Arrow Ranch with tranquilizing darts.  I have heard that your organization is looking it to this.  I encourage you to be diligent in determining if this practice meets the standards of veterinary practice and whether it even is legal in Michigan.  Thank you for any help you can be in eliminating this shameful mutation of competitive “hunting” and reality TV.  As an avid hunter and true animal lover I can see no good coming from this erosion of the humane treatment of captive animals.  It in no way meets the standards of fair chase that we ethical hunters hold up as the basis for our pursuits.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

John Scifres
Indianapolis, IN

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
Great letter John.

Folks we are having great results and a lot of effect. But we need to be diligent, I have heard rumors floating around of a back up venue in Colorado. Any members there with any connections  need to be on guard. This is far from over and Farbman boasted that he has enough money for two events even without sponsors and that they'll comeback when they see how successful this is.

So keep up the good work folks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
And the word from Cabela's is:
Dear William:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the World Hunting
Association.

Cabela's was approached for sponsorship of the W.H.A. and we declined to
be involved. Furthermore, consistent with the conservation groups and
industry associations Cabela's is affiliated with, we do not support the
W.H.A. We are also working with our partners and suppliers to influence
their stance as to this issue.

We are closely monitoring the situation and will continue to do so.
Cabela's always works to uphold the values of our customers, for they
are our values as well. We appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely,
Cabela's, Inc.

Ken Steffens
Executive Assistant
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©