INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Worst Idea Ever...HUNTING ALERT!!! READ & EMAIL!  (Read 55653 times)

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Worst Idea Ever...HUNTING ALERT!!! READ & EMAIL!
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
Does anyone actually know what this is? The tagline says its a "Non-fatal hunting competition." If this is just a virtual on-line hunting game...I'm not sure its so big a threat. We should make sure we're not getting worked up over nothing before we start sending letters.

I suspect they are keeping it vague enough to generate the kind of discussion seen here, and trigger people's curiosity into watching it...

Anyone have any real info. Pnue dart's sponsorship is a bit of a mystery/concern.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
Steve this is to take place behind high fences using blunt heads with tranquilizers. I have posted the phone# and address of the first place in Michigan that will be hosting one of these events. if you read through the whole thread, you will find links to most of what you need to know.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »
OK...so I just saw the press release. Write on brothers!

Steve

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 04:40:00 AM »
this is wrong in so many ways it's sickening. i wonder what the forefathers of the bowhunting world would think of this? this is immoral and unethical and i for one am glad to see the "gang" moving against such a repulsive representation of hunting(you can't even call it that).
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 05:28:00 AM »
What's next?
Hunting prisoners from death row?
Winner has the largest (weighed) gutpile...
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 06:08:00 AM »
When one of the first things he says is "big money" well.... that kinda says it all. They gonna all be driving fully sponsored, vinyl wrapped SUV's and check in their deer in a big tent at a local Wally World parking lot? Exactly how bored do you have to be with your hunting experience to stoop to this level?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »
I just wonder if fisherman back in the, was it the 70s?, talked like this when B.A.S.S. and fishing tournaments were getting started? Have the professional Bass and Walleye fishing tournaments and the commercialization and marketing hurt fishing or strengthened it?
The webpage said the competitions would be non-lethal events. I hate the commercialization, the marketing,the bimbos,even the concept. I'm just not sure, given the changing, evolving world we live in, driven by "Madison Avenue" and the "reality TV" junkies that this is something we can stop. I don't think this concept has the legs of B.A.S.S. and F.L.W. and P.W.T. and will probably fail on it's own.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
Heres some more reading on this. This fellow sounds like a politician. Saying there will be more jobs created, quoting Michigan DNR hunting license sales numbers, read the article and pay attention to the owner of G5's comment. He seems to think that this league will remove many of the negative image issues of hunting. The main thing they are removing is the killing, how is that helping hunters image?

http://edit.detnews.gannettonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060607/SPORTS06/606070384/1004/SPORTS
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »
If you wonder why a broadhead company would look for non-lethal hunting to inrease their revenues and why they may think killing is a negative aspect of hunting. Here is a link to the parent company of G5 Outdoors and their main soure of money. Also gives you an idea why this tranquilizing equipment isn't much of a leap for them.

http://www.graceeng.com/
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »
Well, I got the canned response from Extreme Scents. Have not heard back from G5 but expect a canned response as well.

From another forum the dart company says they have not agreed to sponser, but who knows.

I sure hope this can be stopped.

I keep hearing people compare this to tournament fishing, wrong. In fishing you do not tranq the fish, you catch it, weigh it and release it. No where near the same thing.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »
Also going with what Danny says, fish brains aren't developed to experience pain like a mammals is. What do you think a deer is going to feel when a hypo tipped blunt hits it at 300 fps? It is illegal to blunt wild deer everywhere. Also the best way to administer the tranq is with a hindquarter shot. Do we want people being introduced to hunting thinking that is where they should be shooting?

I know money is God to many and this $500,000 purse per event to split up among 8 guys must be really tempting, but somethings just can't have a price tag on them. Our hunting heritage and future are two of those things and one would hope ethics would be another.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
Disappointing to say the least...  Send the E-Mails and/or letters to your government leaders and the sponsors of this endeavor.  Your voice needs to be heard...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »
Clint is correct.  Every state has animal cruelty statutes, as well as wildlife harrassment statutes.  I will contact the DA of every proposed site for one of these "competitions" to insure that they are prepared to gather the evidence to prosecute these numbskulls.  (When it comes to lawyers v. real estate agents, we lawyers always win  ;) )

ben

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
I don't know about all of you, but I have spent countless hours and $$ promoting our sport,conservation and my love of the outdoors. To see this type of commercialization of our sport sickens me!! Thank God it is not legal and will never be legal to do this in Ontario. However, we must all do our part and stop this befor it gets off the ground. I have contacted all the sponsors as well as the organizer of the event. I am contacting ALL the organizations, in which I belong and urge them all to respond if they have not already done so.

I URGE EVERYONE OF YOU TO DO THE SAME, RIGHT AWAY!!
hunt it

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »
from what i've learned so far, Michigan and Colorado are the only two states where this can take place here. The animals are considered livestock inside fenced opperations and they are using the excuse that these deer are tranqued once a year already for innoculations. They will have a vet present for revivals. seems that using a blunt tipped with a tranq would still be an excessive means of doing this and should be considered abuse. It is illegal for this to take place with wild deer everywhere. They are holding up jobs and other enticements for the legislatures to pull this off. The Wildlife Department's hands are tied because they are doing these events inside a fence. The Agriculture Departments of these states have jurisdiction. so perhaps some letters sent there will have some effect.

[email protected]

http://www.ag.state.co.us/complaints/comment.html
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
Remember the line in "Field of Dreams"?  "If you build it, they will come".  I feel we might be in the minority when it comes to this "hunting"  I pray we are not.  It is said that time are changing.  Not so.  People are changing and not for the better!
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »
Here is the MI Statute

§ 750.49.    Animal; definition; fighting, baiting, or shooting; prohibited conduct; violation as felony; costs; dog trained or used for fighting or offspring of dog trained or used for fighting; prohibited conduct; exceptions; confiscation of dog; award of dog to animal welfare agency; euthanasia; expenses; forfeiture of animals, equipment, devices, and money; disposition of money seized; additional exceptions.

Sec. 49. (1) As used in this section, "animal" means a vertebrate other than a human.
   (2) A person shall not knowingly do any of the following:
   (a) Own, possess, use, buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, import, or export an animal for fighting or baiting, or as a target to be shot at as a test of skill in marksmanship.
   (b) Be a party to or cause the fighting, baiting, or shooting of an animal as described in subdivision (a).
   (c) Rent or otherwise obtain the use of a building, shed, room, yard, ground, or premises for fighting, baiting, or shooting an animal as described in subdivision (a).
   (d) Permit the use of a building, shed, room, yard, ground, or premises belonging to him or her or under his or her control for any of the purposes described in this section.
   (e) Organize, promote, or collect money for the fighting, baiting, or shooting of an animal as described in subdivisions (a) to (d).
   (f) Be present at a building, shed, room, yard, ground, or premises where preparations are being made for an exhibition described in subdivisions (a) to (d), or be present at the exhibition, knowing that an exhibition is taking place or about to take place.
   (g) Breed, buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, exchange, import, or export an animal the person knows has been trained or used for fighting as described in subdivisions (a) to (d), or breed, buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, exchange, import, or export the offspring of an animal the person knows has been trained or used for fighting as described in subdivisions (a) to (d). This subdivision does not prohibit owning, breeding, buying, selling, offering to buy or sell, exchanging, importing, or exporting an animal for agricultural or agricultural exposition purposes.
   (h) Own, possess, use, buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, transport, or deliver any device or equipment intended for use in the fighting, baiting, or shooting of an animal as described in subdivisions (a) to (d).
   (3) A person who violates subsection (2)(a) to (e) is guilty of a felony punishable by 1 or more of the following:
   (a) Imprisonment for not more than 4 years.
   (b) A fine of not less than $5,000.00 or more than $50,000.00.
   (c) Not less than 500 or more than 1,000 hours of community service.
   (4) A person who violates subsection (2)(f) to (h) is guilty of a felony punishable by 1 or more of the following:
   (a) Imprisonment for not more than 4 years.
   (b) A fine of not less than $1,000.00 or more than $5,000.00.
   (c) Not less than 250 or more than 500 hours of community service.. . .

It is much longer, so I didn't post the whole thing.  This is illegal.  Period.

ben

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
Thanks Ben. I needed this info real bad. Time to spread the word.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
Some Colorado Statutes. . .

C.R.S. 33-1-102
(24) "Harass" means to unlawfully endanger, worry, impede, annoy, pursue, disturb, molest, rally, concentrate, harry, chase, drive, herd, or torment wildlife.

CRS 33-6-128.(1) Unless permitted by the division, it is unlawful for any person to . . .harass any wildlife. Any person who violates this subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars and an assessment of ten license suspension points.

33-6-130. Explosives, toxicants, and poisons not to be used
(1) Unless permitted by law or by the division, it is unlawful for any person to use toxicants, poisons, drugs, dynamite, explosives, or any stupefying substances for the purpose of hunting, taking, or harassing any wildlife. Any person who violates this subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of two hundred dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »
If you guys need more, e-mail me.  I have free access to Lexis Nexis (i.e. every statute and case on the books in every state).

ben

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©