INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Newest Twist on the WHA  (Read 2269 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Newest Twist on the WHA
« on: July 12, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »
As taken from another site.

World Hunting Association?

My name is Matt & I'm a producer at the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

We are currently working on a story about the World Hunting Association and their method of nonlethal hunting (tranquilziers, et al).

We're trying to find hunters in the Detroit area who are opposed to this practice. We will be in the area on 7/25 and would like to interview some hunters then.

Please e-mail me if you're in the Detroit area (or can be there on the 25th) and are seriously opposed to this form of hunting.

Thanks!

-Matt
[email protected]

This can lead to no good and guys are offering to go on. The show will just make all hunters look stupid regardless of which side of the issue they are on. The show is on Comedy Network, how serious do they think they will be treated?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newest Twist on the WHA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
{{{sigh}}} it just keeps getting better doesn't it?  :(
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »
yes...they will spin this stuff to make the most eloquent person look like a jackass for sure.

That's Colbert and Stewart's style.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »
I wonder if they could handle Mr. Nugent??... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »
I was thinking the exact same thing Terry! Despite the problems I have with him, I can't think of someone sharper to plead our case. That is, if he's not on WHA's side  :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »
D@#$^d if you do and D@$^&#d if you don't.  Some one goes and hunters are made to look like fools.  No on goes and "see it's ok with hunter".  I think it would be good to get one good spokesman and send him.
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
The Daily Show is the last place to do this though. No matter what topic they cover, they go for the laugh and make everyone involved look as stupid as possible. The other problem is they will be interviewing as many guys as they can for this and then do edits and pick and choose from what they get.

Like I said before, no good can come of this, Comedy Network is listed high on the anti-hunting charts.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
Fellas, there's a MYSPACE.COM blog about how great the WHA is going to be. I went to it and sent a message stating that it would be a disaster. This is the reply I received, and my answer back to them. I cannot find the link to the blog, but answering it is a waste of time because you do not get to put your thoughts on their blog, unless they approve it..and guess what...they aren't going to approve anything but positives unless they're silly.

Dear Ray,
The WHA is not putting the lives of these deer in danger. We have taken careful measures to ensure their health and safety. The chemical tranquilizer has nearly a 100% recovery rate and the entire darting process will be handled by extremely experienced professionals who have done this hundreds of times with no casualties. Our overall goal is to bring Hunting to the Amercian public; millions of people who do not understand our sport. We really don't see how we could "screw hunting in the balance." What we will do is show the public that hunters are very intelligent, careful sportsmen and that hunting is a perfectly natural, legitimate and moral pasttime: something that has been missing from the mainstream media's view for far too long.
Rob

Even Chuck Sykes correctly doesn't claim that there is NO CHANCE these deer will be inadvertantly dead as a result of this activity, and he is a smart man for doing so because he KNOWS the truth.

Spin this any way you like, the darting process is NOT being handled by professionals..its being handled by hunters out of treestands who have NOT darted hundreds of deer. What about deflections? If you have ever hunted you know that is a fact of life. When a dart gets bumped and goes into the organs of the deer what will you do then? How about hitting them in the eye? Stuff happens when you hunt, Rob.

You have drunk the Kool Aid, Rob...the fella who was hired to do your marketing quit and went back to selling seeds after a couple of weeks because he, like the rest of us who are not out to make a quick buck understand the long term consequences of what you are doing rather than trying to get beer money for next week.

If your plan is to show hunters as being intelligent then you have picked the wrong bunch to do it because so far the discussions on many websites they have participated in have left me and others with the impression they are for the most part young, easily influenced, lacking in historical perspective, no understanding of hunting's history in this country, and not very bright.

Rave on...you are preaching to someone who won't succumb to hype and fluff. I understand how the selling game works and reject your premise for the show as faulty.

And,  if you think this bastardization of hunting is going to somehow cause mainstream media to drink your kool aid then you are really kidding yourself. They are going to USE your show to put us in the worst possible light and they will not be swayed from that by you, me, or Farbman. You haven't even begun yet and Comedy Central is already asking for hunters to appear on one of their shows. They'll make jackasses out of everyone that appears...cause that's what they do.

Ray
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
The biggest threat from them doing this in Detroit is it's Farbman's backyard. These guys were willing to cheat on the ESPN poll, who says they won't have a dozen guys pose as hunters against the WHA at the interviews that magically change their opinions on it when they are interviewed and get to hear the WHA's side up close and personal?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
They will twist,stretch,lie,& manipulate it till it's unrecognisable as the way it was stated. I'd stay as far away from it as I could. Since when have we received an even break from the media? And why should we think we would now? Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline tothfngclw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Anyone who has watched this show knows that you will be made to look like an azz.  Comedy is not the channel to debate this matter in public.   For alot of us we realize that this is not a joke.  I sent another email off to the Governor today. That's 3 emails and a letter and still no response.  The governor will be running for reelection in November.  I pointed out to her that having a large group of Michigan hunters willing to support her might take her back into office in Novemeber. She helped with the following legislation.

"Hunters as young as 12 will be able to hunt deer, elk and bear with firearms under legislation signed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

The legislation lowers the minimum age for hunting large game from 14 to 12. The bill also lowers the minimum age for hunting small game such as squirrels and rabbits from 12 to 10.

The bill calls for younger hunters to hunt only on private property and with a parent, guardian or authorized adult age 18 or older.

Another bill Granholm announced signing Monday establishes an apprentice hunting license, letting new hunters temporarily bypass a safety class and go on hunts with experienced mentors.

The bills are designed to help Michigan recruit new hunters.

Supporters of the legislation say getting children involved in hunting at an earlier age teaches them proper stewardship of the state's natural resources and encourages children to stay active in outdoor activities.

The number of Michigan hunters has remained roughly the same for 40 years, but the percentage of the population that hunts is down".

She helped with the experimental dove hunting season.   She has been on Michigan Out Doors to discuss hunting and how she understands what hunting means to those in the State of Michigan.
She has admitted that she was wrong about Michigan's CCW reform.  While she spoke out before being elected against CCW, she now says she can see that she was wrong.  She made these statements not long after being elected 4 years ago.  

I didn't vote for her in the last election.  As a matter of fact I embarrassed my wife and daughter by heckling the then State Attorney General as she walked in a Memorial day parade.  This was just prior to her being elected Governor.  She definitely knew which side of gun control I was on as she passed by.  For those of us here in Michigan we need to keep reminded her where we stand and that inaction on her part may be construed as support for Farbman.   Keep emailing her and our other local and State Reps.  I have also emailed the MIDNR 3 times and have had no response from them either.  Our purchases of hunting licenses and park permits go towards paying their salary.  While it would be very painful to skip a hunting season, it would be even more so if the WHA is allowed to carry on.  Let the MIDNR know how you feel.  

MUCC has also been quiet on this issue.  I know they have come out in opposition of  captive cervid hunting and have made the statement that they don't recognize this as hunting.  If this is so then why have I not heard or read their position against the WHA?  I am a MUCC member and I have written several emails and again I have had no response on this matter.  

A couple of quotes from Ted's Talkback forum

"antiHunting, antiNature, antiBalance, antiScience, antiCreation, antiBiodiversity, antiTed!! KILL THE BEAST!! blatant antis in disguise"!

"braindead souless antihunting clowns"

I wonder how he really feels??

and last but not least.    From Fred Bear:

"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." --Fred Bear

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
well; it will be interesting to see Stewarts spin on this. He might just expose an achilles heel.
 As far as Colbert- if he finds out they are catching and releasing bears- he will be opposed to it!!  ;)
 The daily show will not be the last word; just a word on the subject. Like I say- there might be something enlightening in it.
 Funny that they are going to Michigan for comments: I for one remember 'the guns of autumn'.
   :readit:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline tothfngclw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 04:00:00 AM »
They are going to Michigan for comments because that's where Farbman and his empire are located.  The first hunt is scheduled to take placein October at a captive cervid farm here in Michigan.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
None of us like PETA but perhaps with their numbers they will be the ones to bring down the WHA. I can't see the bunny huggers standing by and letting the WHA go unchalenged by them. Does anyone know what the PETA position is on the WHA?
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline swoosh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
PETA will keep quite, what better way to end hunting.  Let Farbman pull the trigger on us.  If we saw PETA doing something as stupid as the WHA would we stand up and oppose it?

Offline jack benson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
The problem is that they haven't taken this whole concept to the best level: they need to book their hunts at zoos!

This could be a win-win situation for both WHA and the various zoological societies who seem to have funding problems these days. WHA provides funding to keep the zoos viable and the Zoos provide a wide variety of species to "hunt" on video. And they can increase hunting participation by eliminating any age requirement for their shows, creating entire new catagories for record keeping: largest elephant by a child 6 and under, largest atypical whitetail by an inner city gangbanger, etc.

Of course, none of these idiots address the FACT that tranquelizing wild animals is always a risky business even in settings like a zoo, where even under controlled situations where specific animals are known and drug dosages can be calculated precisely, deaths do occur. But then again, they can edit those event out...

jack
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »
WHA...
1. It's NOT hunting. It's entertainment at the expense of hunting.
2. In Texas, it is a crime to use a drugged projectile arrow for hunting - See Texas Parks & Wildlife General Hunting Regulations. Probably so in most states. If it were in Texas, they would have to disavow it as "hunting", couldn't call it "hunting".
3. It is an insult to the concept and tradition of any hunting, especially bowhunting.
4. So, how 'bout all opposed get up a PAC type fund to stop it, legally, politically, and make the take "hunting" out of the name and comcept. I'll contribute $100.00 to start.
4. WHA should change to something like WPA for World Paintball Assoc., and go after different stuff with paintball guns for national TV.
5. It ain't hunting.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
So an update on the Daily Show. They have filled their Pro-WHA spots. They have spoken with PETA and haven't decided if they fit into the show they are doing. They are still looking for anti-WHA hunters and are looking in another spot in Michigan now.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©