INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: build a tradganger...  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
build a tradganger...
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »
I apologise of this is the wrong forum or offends someone or doesn't sharpen their sword like it does 'mine'.
 I see all kinds of threads about who are heros are in bowhunting; who the ones are that set a path to follow in the past.
 What is wrong with building a 'tradganger'?
I am going to take a Swede hunting this year; his third trip; and the results of which are put into the Swedish bowhunting magazine- to try and legalize bowhunting in Sweden.
 I take home 1048 dollars a month; and I will take the Swede up there: in my beat up pick-up truck; and try and connect his black widow bow and arrow-- with an elk.
 Why cannot we be doing the same with trad gang kids?
 I could supply a tent; some guidance and the grampa effect; and some kid and his mom/dad/ with the opprotunity to take a deer or elk.
 Why can't we do this with some kids that love the twang of the string of a trad bow?
 If we all chip in; and offer our hunt knowledge and a helping hand in this way- could we not build the trad hunter of the future?
 Why not chip in and send kids and a dad or mom or both to here and there and show them what we feel about traditional bowhunting; and try and give them a good hunt on rabbits to elk and more?
 Why aren't we doing this? Has it been considered?
Why not take kids and ship them all over and treat them to what we love?
 Free arrows and legal aid to the person that discovers anyone who sexually abuses etc.; a child- but why not do this?
 Seems like we live in an era where there are camera men that would love to go here and there taping such hunts.. why not do it?
   :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: build a tradganger...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
I have actually been working on a project to start a hunting mentoring program. A group of folks in Wisconsin will be putting a show on the Outdoors Channel about it next year. More details will be coming in the future here.

I agree with you Brian, there is a lot of experience to be shared and a lot of kids who have no one to hunt with that would jump at an opportunity.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »
Bravo Gentlemen! Great ideas! Getting kids involved is our collective responsibility. God Bless the young ones, T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:41:00 AM »
Hey Brian, this is Dan from our not so ill fated elk hunt where my bronco ran out of gas in wolf country a few years ago...I like your idea.    Maybe thru community ed classes?
Dan
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 03:05:00 AM »
Dan- dont scare people by telling my hunting stories   :D  
 Yep: community ed classes would be a good place to start. Then one community could connect with another..
  Good to hear from you Dan !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
I have two boys...my hands are a little full building them, but I'm confident we have two more that we can count in our ranks.

And the kids that come over all get shooting games/lessons if approved by their parents (so far no one has said no)....not to mention the constant subtle preachin about anything I can tie into what we are doing.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 05:41:00 AM »
I'm all for any thing that will keep kids off the street and off drugs tobacco and alcohol. Even though I'm new to traditional archery my 10 year old son has never shot any bow but a re curve. This is how i started out with re curves and an old long bow. His next bow will be a long bow, I'm hoping that when he gets older he will choose to stay with the traditional equipment. But that choice will be up to him when the time comes. Maybe he will convince a friend or two to do the same. What I'm getting at is the more people you get to try long bows and re curves the better the chance of converting or starting out a new traditional archer. It becomes a snowball and grows slowly over a long period of time patience and persistence is the name of the game if you are to succeed in our goals.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 05:43:00 AM »
I'm all for any thing that will keep kids off the street and off drugs tobacco and alcohol. Even though I'm new to traditional archery my 10 year old son has never shot any bow but a re curve. This is how i started out with re curves and an old long bow. His next bow will be a long bow, I'm hoping that when he gets older he will choose to stay with the traditional equipment. But that choice will be up to him when the time comes. Maybe he will convince a friend or two to do the same. What I'm getting at is the more people you get to try long bows and re curves the better the chance of converting or starting out a new traditional archer. It becomes a snowball and grows slowly over a long period of time patience and persistence is the name of the game if we are to succeed in our goals.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
As a child and family therapist, I'm frequently surprised by the response I get from clients who see the hunting/traditional archery pictures and prints that are hanging in my office.  This often gives me the opportunity to do some basic ed about conservation and the traditional lifestyle.  Responses like, " Wow, is that really you?", are common.  I have 4 budding archers at home and like JC, we often have a yard full of kids over that are eager students.  I've never had a parent or client complain about teaching their children something diferent and worthwhile.
Good Subject, I couldn't agree more!
    PEACE,
     Frank
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »
AWSOME THREAD GUYS!!  I am Most Impressed by the TradGang Family Once Again!! Y'all are  THE  Greatest!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©