INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Montana hunters take a look!!!!  (Read 2339 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Montana hunters take a look!!!!
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »
Today, October 19, the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission will be taking public comment on a measure of critical importance to all hunters in the state.  A proposal to require all of the state’s big game hunters to choose between either a bow or a firearm for the entire hunting season will be taken up during an afternoon Work Session.  To be clear, this will mean that hunters will no longer have the option of pursuing big game with both a bow and a rifle during the same calendar year.

It is critical that your voice be heard!  Big game hunters should continue to have the freedom to choose to hunt with a bow and a firearm during the appropriate seasons.  Contrary to the claims of some advocates of this proposed restriction, sportsmen are easily capable of becoming proficient in the use of both a bow and a firearm for big game.  Sportsmen need more hunting opportunities, not fewer!

The Commission Meeting will be held at:

Fort Keogh Research Station

243 Fort Keogh Road

Miles City, MT

If you are unable to attend the meeting, please express your opposition to this “single implement for big game” proposal by calling the Commission Director’s Office at (406) 444-3186.  Also, please call or write the commissioner who represents your area of the state.  For more information on your commissioner and how to contact him, please go to  http://fwp.mt.gov/insidefwp/department/commission/default.html.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana hunters take a look!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
Hmmm...Wish they'd do that in my home state of Ohio, might lighten up the xgun pressure during our so-called archery season.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
I already started informing others. Some like it but most of us DON'T!. It will do nothing to cut back on the crowding over the long term. Just makes things harder to manage and more paper work for Helena. Don't kid youurselves. Many who want it would like all hunting to be with bows and rifle hunters left out. We have a great thing  right now and has passed the test of time. Lets not screw it up!
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
Odds are the bowhunter numbers would be greatly diminished and we can't afford to be a bigger minority than we already are. License sales and numbers help give us a voice in legislatures and DNRs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »
That is another excellent point. We have an archery area called Teton Springs. Only reason we still have it is because we have many so many archery voices that spoke out to keep the FW&P from eliminating it. MBA fought hard and won. We need those numbers to help steer the legislature to keep what has been earned.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »
What possible reason could they have for such an idiotic idea? What's up with WY and MT making bad sportsman laws lately?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
I do believe it is politicaly motivated. More money for MT FW&P along with more jobs in the Helena field etc., etc., etc..
 Here is a link to an article in the Billings Gazette about the meeting in Miles City. Way to go Gary! He traveled from Wetsern MT to be at this meeting.
  I wonder if the thrust of this came from the many bowyers we have in the state? Several belong to the TBM who would love to see this come about.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »
I have the scoop on this now and my concerns are pretty much gone.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
That's good news that it didn't pass.

Now why would a bowyer want this? I would think, when push comes to shove, most guys would choose a rifle....decreasing the customer base those bowyers might tap into if the hunter got to freely choose his weapon. Doesn't make any sense to my why anyone but the antis would want legislation like this.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
Which bowyer?

BTW, if you think about it, Colorado is basically already this way (or used to be, I should say).  If you applied and received an archery elk or deer tag, you couldn’t apply for, or hunt rifle season.  That's the way it used to be, but haven’t been there in a few years.  They may allow a cow tag later for rifle in some areas, not sure, haven’t read the regs for a couple years.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »
Colorado had this law and it took 10 years to get it removed from the books after costing the state  millions in revenues.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
You're telling me this year in CO, that if I drew or purchased a bull elk archery tag and didn't fill it, then I could go ahead and rifle hunt for a bull in one of the rifle seasons?

Guess I'm going to have to read more recent regulations.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 07:24:00 PM »
I'm just telling you what I was told the precedent came from and what I was told happened there. Check the regs to be certain.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »
The way it used to be, you could choose either archery season, rifle 1 season, rifle 2, or rifle 3 season, you could not mix them.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
Also, another example in CO, (used to be, probably still is), if you drew an archery tag for deer west of I25 (mulies in the mountain regions), you couldn’t hunt east of I25 in the plains regions for whitetails and mulies for the later archery and firearm seasons.

Offline mindbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
I would like to see something done as every year i see more and more people with bows and the rifle mentality of pick it up and go.  I got out of rifle hunting for that reason- too easy to simply pull a trigger- anyone can do it.

I don't know what the answer is but would like to see a resurgence in traditional thought and practice.
Few things are crystal clear in my mind; but to attempt to do some things that are honorable, or at least decent, seems to make some sense. A more traditional lifestyle fits...trad gang fits!

Offline Bob Sherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »
Some bowhunters, such as myself, quit rifle hunting due to the exploits of the "orange army". We sought the solitude of bowhunting and actually saw animals that were undisturbed. We had access to private lands (without fee). There were liberal seasons, few hunters and all the land you could hunt.

No one road hunted with bows. Treestands weren't stolen (from private land that you had exclusive bowhunting on?). There wasn't every Tom, Dick and Harry, Whitetail experts filming on game-farms declaring how "great" they are.

That is the sole motivation for this issue. It isn't money motivated or political. It is simply some old bowhunters missing the good ole days. Bowhunting for me is nearing the point rifle season was when I quit rifle hunting.

Now, you have "alarmists" stating that we would lose seasons with an either/or which is nothing but simple fear mongering. The seasons aren't any longer today than they were when there were only a few of us.

The real danger to bowhunting is the loss of those of us who have been bowhunting for 20+ years. The European hunting model is winning in America and that is a shame. The values of Teddy Roosevelt are being lost to trophies and money.

This has been my worst season in my life (not because of animal numbers or success). It just isn't really enjoyable anymore. Bowhunting used to be my life but I am embarrassed to be lumped in with the bowhunters today. Maybe either/or isn't the answer but rather than simply quitting, it is the best option I've seen. Then maybe it isn't possible to go back. Maybe this is my last season.
Bob

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
Here in MI we have special archery deer seasons but nothing prevents you from hunting with a bow during the firearm season, as long as you follow the appropriate rules for hunters orange, firearm tag etc.  MI allows you to get combo tags that can be used in either archery or gun seasons.  Specific rules apply depending on which season you hunt.

For Bear, there is no set differetiation between archery and firearm hunting.   I do not beleive there is differentiation for Elk either.  Its hunters choice.

I know why they make both seasons available but I don't understand what they would try and force you to pick only one.    I hunt primarily with a bow but I also hunt with a rifles, handguns, blackpowder, etc.   Maybe I'm just naive because I have never hunted outside of MI.  

Ever since I found this site, I have been hearing about some strange (at least to me) restrictions that states impose.  I guess I won't complain about our restrictions any more.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline mindbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »
I'm with you Bob.  Good arguement!
Few things are crystal clear in my mind; but to attempt to do some things that are honorable, or at least decent, seems to make some sense. A more traditional lifestyle fits...trad gang fits!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©