3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: THE METAL RISER (PICS)  (Read 2102 times)

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
THE METAL RISER (PICS)
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:39:00 AM »
it is still very rough but the brunt of the milling is complete (i still have to mill the holes for the mathews harmonic dampeners). now i have to grind the final profile both back and belly, round off all the sharp edges, sand it down and then get some color to it. this riser will accept both my recurve and hybrid limbs through the use of interchangable limb pads that have the correct limb pad angles (i'll include some pics of them the next time i post). in the pics you can see some elongated ovals that are machined at an angle on the sides of the riser...... they are .020 deep and will hold exotic wood inlays (veneers). the reason that they are not in the grip section is because the grip will be glued up with matching accent stripes. sorry that the pics are so poor, with or without the flash there is so much reflection that you really cant see the detail in it. i am hoping to be shooting it by the end of the weekend or early next week (still have some limbs to lay up). i have completely redesigned the limb pads since i started this one. the next riser will have have pivoting limb pads that will ride on ball bearings so that i can adjust tiller and change limb pad angles with just the twist of the limb bolt but still have the ultra tight fit/zero limb slop that this system has. the grip section will also have a 15 degree cant versus the vertical one that this has.

TimberGhost Customs X-breed 65@28

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: THE METAL RISER (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 05:41:00 AM »
I can't wait to see it done because it's the best one I have seen so far(IMHO). I am not a metal riser type of guy but this look good. Looks great<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
nice.....great work

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Man, that is really cool.  Impressive metal working.  
That is the cyborg robot monster of traditional bows! Watch out DAS and Hoyt!  Keep up the good work.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Gino has some good ideas thats for sure.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Dase looks good, I mean dose

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Rico- that is funny (LMAO) but you still misspelled "does".......unless you are spelling it with that New York accent (hehe). the next one will be radically different but i figured for a newbie machinist like me, the simple design of the DAS (incorporated with the geopmetry of my bows) would give me less headaches to mill out. bill howland and i were joking around and said that this one would be called the BAS ("B" for bruno) and be pronounced "boss" since my limbs outperform the fita limbs by such a large margin.

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Nicely done! Was it designed in 2D or 3D? Was it machined manual or CNC? I'd like to try this at some point too, but have too much development of limbs left to even think about trying now.

-Mike

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Very interesting and a nice job, looks like it is way past centershot.
  Bue--.

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
what kind of metal are you using for the riser/ why does it look gold????? aluminum?

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
halfrack- it was done on my manual mill (see the "pretty riser material?" thread there are some pics of it being cut).

bue- thanks! it is .40 past center

ironrhino- it is T-6 6061 aluminum (the next one will be titanium). it looks gold in some of the pics when the flash was off on the camera. because of the machining marks, it reflects the light really bad and i was having troubles betting some pics.

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
i have had a bunch of people ask how long the riser is so i figured i would post a few pics of it next to a couple of my "in progress" wood riser (they just have the first 3 coats of gloss to start filling in the pores of the wood so they are not purdy yet. the leopardwood bow still has to have the glass limb pads trimmed off). the aluminum riser is 15 1/4" and with the recurve limb pads on will be 17" (for a 58" bow)overall. the hybrid limb pads make the riser 15 1/2" (64" bow).

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
I am a Mechanical Engineer in a Tool & Die shop and I have to tell you if you did all of that on a manual mill that is impressive.  As soon as I seen your pics I started thinking about drawing that in the 3D software and programming that for our CNC's.  That is fantastic.  You are quite the metal worker.  Keep up the good work.  If you ever want a 3D model of that and don't have the means to do so let me know I would be willing to draw that up for ya and get you some blue prints.

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
tim- thanks! all done on my manual mill.....it took a while especially since this is the first time i have every machined a piece of metal this size!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Seeing the wooden models are you going to raise the heel of the metal riser with the wooden grips when you add them?  Your wooden risers have a high heel and the metal is straight grip.

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
Talondale- the grips will be nearly identical other than the fact that i can make the throat of the grip much smaller because of the strength of the aluminum.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
SS,

Impressive !!

Seeing how I can't draw two straight lines without a ruler!

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
This is the last straw...I have had it with this site. We got people making unbelieveable knives, call boxes, bows, arrows, all kinds of leatherwork and now this?  What kind of people are you???????...oh yea the answer is ...unbelievably talented.

w  o  w
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Thats pretty cool. We have an endmill at work and I've thought of trying something like this. can't wait to see the finishe product.
Jason Lester

Offline nick_the_tinkerer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 02:52:00 AM »
ttt
Illegitimus Non Carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©