INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Mexico May Transplant Bighorn Sheep  (Read 1046 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Mexico May Transplant Bighorn Sheep
« on: December 08, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish will meet Dec. 14 with landowners and others in the Dry Cimarron area of northeastern New Mexico to discuss a proposal to transplant Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep to Dry Cimarron Canyon during the summer of 2007.

A herd of about 50 bighorn sheep currently reside across the state line in Colorado, and some of those animals spend time in both New Mexico and Oklahoma. The Department is considering augmenting the existing small herd, with the goal of establishing a viable, self-sustaining population in New Mexico.

The meeting will be at 1 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 14, in the Union County Extension Office, 100 Court St., in Clayton. Anyone with questions or concerns about the proposed transplants is encouraged to attend. For more information about the proposal, please contact Department bighorn sheep biologists Eric Rominger, (505) 476-8045; or Elise Goldstein, (505) 476-08041.

If you are an individual with a disability who is in need of a reader, amplifier, qualified sign language interpreter, or any other form of auxiliary aid or service to attend or participate in the meeting, please contact Shirley Baker, (505) 476-8030. Public documents, including the agenda and minutes, can be provided in various accessible forms.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Chewie146

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Mexico May Transplant Bighorn Sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
They're around Los Alamos some.  Pic in the local paper had me thinking it was a hoax.  I never thought I would see the day.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
This is quite interesting as I didn't even know that any Bighorns wintered in Oklahoma. We've got elk, mule deer and pronghorn, & seasons for each. That said, anyone who has ever been to the Wichita Mountains could probably imagine them there, I know I do.
I guess in the far NW Panhandle its possible.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
They are in the area around black mesa park.
Lucas Kent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©