INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Virginia Working Towards Sunday Hunting  (Read 2007 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Virginia Working Towards Sunday Hunting
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) announced today that it has initial results from its recent hunter survey on the topic of Sunday hunting. The results from the 2006 survey, when compared with the results from a survey conducted in 1996, indicate a significant difference in hunters' opinions about Sunday hunting has occurred in the last ten years.

When hunters were surveyed on this subject in 1996, the overall response was close. Slightly more hunters opposed Sunday hunting (48%) versus those who supported Sunday hunting (45%). It is worth noting, however, that of the 48% of hunters who opposed the concept of Sunday hunting in 1996, 45% were strongly opposed. Of the 45% supporting Sunday hunting, 39% strongly favored it.

The 2006 hunter survey results indicated that 62% of responding hunters expressed some level of support for Sunday hunting compared to 34% who were opposed. Of the 62% supporting Sunday hunting, 53% were strongly supportive. Of the 34% who opposed Sunday hunting, 28.5% were strongly opposed.

Regionally, there were minor differences in hunters' support for Sunday hunting. Overall support ranged from 66% in northern Virginia to 58% in the south central Piedmont area of the state.

VDGIF Board Chairman John Montgomery said of the survey, "Many people incorrectly believe that Sunday hunting is regulated by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, but it is a Legislative matter. However, the Legislature does regard us as a source for information on hunters and hunting. Since our information on hunters' opinions on the issue was a decade old, we undertook this survey to get current information which we are providing to members of the General Assembly."

The 2006 survey was sent in November to 5,000 licensed Virginia hunters who were randomly selected. A second follow-up mailing was sent to non-respondents in early December. A response rate of 59% was obtained from these two mailings.

Board Member Jimmy Hazel, who chairs the Wildlife and Boating Committee of the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, observed, "This survey was a necessary first step in determining the importance of this issue to Virginia hunters. Getting a response rate of almost 60% is impressive on any survey. In this case, it suggests that hunters have strong feelings about this issue and want to be heard."

The survey consisted of 14 questions. Individual hunters were asked about their support or opposition to Sunday hunting. Other questions asked hunters how they felt about potential restrictions or limits placed upon Sunday hunting, the distance they traveled to hunt, the number of days they hunted, and types of land they hunted on. Hunters were asked their opinions about how Sunday hunting could potentially impact relationships with landowners, time and opportunity to hunt, and the number of animals harvested. Finally, a series of demographic questions were included to obtain information about the hunters' age, gender, and place of residence.

VDGIF Director Carlton Courter said, "As Sunday hunting is considered by the General Assembly in this session and in the future, we will certainly gather additional input from other constituents, including landowners, other outdoor enthusiasts and state residents in general."

The average age of hunters responding to this survey was 45.2 years and they ranged in age from 14 to 83 years of age. Ninety-seven percent of the respondents were male and 3% were female. Twenty-three percent of the respondents said they lived on farms, 43% lived in rural areas, 13% lived in towns with a population less than 50,000, 12% lived in the suburbs, and 9% lived in urban areas.

A Summary of Virginia Hunters' Opinions on Sunday Hunting is now available on the Department's Web site  www.dgif.virginia.gov.  A full report will follow after more in depth data analysis has been completed.

It is the mission of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to maintain optimum populations of all species to serve the needs of the Commonwealth; to provide opportunity for all to enjoy wildlife, inland fish, boating, and related outdoor recreation; and to promote safety for persons and property in connection with these outdoor activities.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Virginia Working Towards Sunday Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
Why is Sunday hunting not allowed- why not thursday or tuesday hunting.... there is supposed to be a separation of church and state.
 I wonder if the Seventh Day Adventists think of this?
  Its purely a law designed around religion; and should be shot down.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
I was one of the Hunters who participated in the survey. I have ALWAYS been in support of Sunday hunting. Hopefully this will be allowed in the near future.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
I personally like the law for many reasons.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Chuck, I would like to hear your reasons. Send me a PM if you like.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
I'm not sure where I stand on this one.Here in Pa. we are looking at Sunday hunting also,its not legal now.I know a few land owners who allow hunting that may have a problem with it.And I can see thier point.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
Its no different than playing golf, or going to a movie on a Sunday.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
It is if you are a land owner trying to enjoy a picnic or do something else.Guns make noise,bullets fly far.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
SO why not public land? Private land by permission. If you don't want Sunday hunting and you own land then don't allow it on your property.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Trouble is they would just post the land and there would be NO HUNTING 7 days a week.Also alot of public land borders private land.Like I said bullets travel far.  :smileystooges:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
They travel everyday of the rest of the week so should we just outlaw hunting? You're argument against is weak and smacks of the antihunters reasoning when they fight against us. Most arguments against Sunday hunting are emotional or religion biased which we won't get into here as for religion is off limits period.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
BTW have you guys ever seen the orange army of Pa ?LOL.with all the new roads and houses we are looseing enuff private land already,and dont forget about safety zones when public land borders private.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
Well,it is a good reason to use slugs only in some places.Like I said I dont know where I stand on this issue yet,just trying to look at it from other points of view,not just the hunters.It is important to consider all involved or we will stop hunting.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
You choose to build against the public land you do so with full knowledge of it's uses. Excuses are growing old and we need to draw a line and start fighting or we are going to be pushed out. Your odds of getting hurt with a car are much greater than being shot by a stray bullet. Private land is going to be posted regardless of what the laws are, it is the nature of the beast. Before long as farms are closing down or looking for ways to prevent it and the herd improves from antler restrictions, PA will enter the world of hunting leases. When there is money to be made we'll see what happens.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
The the point I always like useing is this, we pay taxes on sunday and we work on sundays thats a big no no, why can't we hunt om sunday.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Yup,lots of angles here.I see no reason it wont go through so I dont understand all the huffiness.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Well HSUS will put up a million or so to prevent it. They are willing to spend big bucks to stop Sunday hunting whenever they can. They realize this limits huge numbers of hunters to one day a week of hunting and alos helps to get some out of the woods or never there at all.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
It was just shot down in N.C.One of the statements made by the ncwrc was that the amount of game taken would almost double.Also they would need additional officers  to enforce laws.I have mixed feelings on the issue.I hunt public land for ducks.They are only open 3 days a week.On the weekend they are so packed you can't enjoy a hunt.Also they run deer with dogs where I live and some off these groups would run 1 thru the church parking lot and shoot as it crossed the grave yard.Which would surely turn some people against hunting in this area.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Good example.We cant afford to turn people who dont hunt into anti-hunters.Whats wrong with giving the critters a rest one day a week?

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Head on over to HuntingPA.com forums and go to Outdoor Issues and look for the post on Sunday hunting[beware what you wish for]post.Very interesting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©