INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Proposed Mississippi Bill Prohibits hunting within 1/2 mile of a dwelling.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bill:1043

Proposed by: Daniel Guice Jr. R-Oceans Springs

Phone# 601/359-3328

Dwelling means a structure permanent or temporary that is made to hold people at night.

This one certainly bears looking into by MS residents!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline penetrator

• Trad Bowhunter
is this bowhunting too?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I don't know at this point, I was hoping a MS resident would get us some more information. This kind of bill is a bomb waiting to go off regardless which kind of hunting it impacts. If you have a hunting camp, I would imagine a good portion of you r land just became illegal to hunt. Anti's want to stop your hunting all they neeed to do is set-up a tent. Not a good law.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Proposed Mississippi Bill Prohibits hunting within 1/2 mile of a dwelling.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
This bill is now officially killed. The language would have banned all hunting within a 1/2 mile of a dwelling by the way.

You Mississippi members might want to remember this fellows name next time elections roll around and remind him how hunters aren't partial to antis in office.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Here is how the bill read.

By: Representative Guice

House Bill 1043
AN ACT TO PROHIBIT HUNTING WITHIN ONE-HALF MILE OF ANY DWELLING; TO PRESCRIBE PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:

SECTION 1. (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt any wild animal or wild bird during any open hunting season on wild game within one-half (1/2) mile of a dwelling, whether such dwelling is on public or private lands of another, without the landowner's permission. If any person is found to be in violation, such person, upon conviction, shall be guilty of a Class II violation and punished as provided in Section 49-7-143.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed herein:

(a) "Dwelling" means a building or conveyance of any kind that has a roof over it, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, that is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night, including any attached porch.

(b) "Hunting" means to hunt, chase or to shoot at or kill or to pursue with the intent to take, kill or wound any wild animal or wild bird with a firearm, bow or any other device that serves to launch a projectile.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2007.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
I'm glad it died in committee. Unfortunately,I can see this happening one day because of slob gun hunters.I know one. He started planting a wildlife patch on a power line ROW about 20 years ago. About 10 years ago, a small subdivision of houses started springing up and now there are houses almost right behind the wildlife patch. He still hunts the same patch with a rifle. I doubt if a stray bullet would ever strike a house because there are small pines on three sides of the ROW but, I would never hunt the place with a rifle in a gazillion years.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
If you read the bill, it included all hunters, not just firearm. This had nothing to do with safety.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
If you read the bill, it included all hunters, not just firearm. This had nothing to do with safety.
Yes, I read the bill.As you probably know,most politicians are elected not because of what they know but because of who they know and who has the most $$$$.I would almost bet you,that Mr. Guise or one of his antihunting buds had a similar situation like I described above. The population is growing and the number of hunters is decreasing. Homes are being built in prime hunting spots everywhere. For our sport to survive,we as hunters are going to have to learn to give a little. The person that I am referring to above should give a little and change weapons to a bow or shotgun instead of a 30-06. I wouldn't want him shooting with the rifle if I lived in one of those homes that are close by, because I have a 11 year old that plays outside.You should hear the anti-hunting things that my 11 year old hears at school. None of his friend's parents hunt and this does affect my son's views on hunting. Then you have kid's movies such as "Bambi" and "Open Season" that are targeted towards kids. We have to fight everyday for our hunting rights and it ain't gonna get better, it's only gonna get worse. My point in my post above was that we are going to have to give a little for our sport to survive.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Or perhaps we need to start doing things to control some of the urban sprawl that is eating away at our hunting lands. Houses and ebtire neighborhoods are being allowed to rot away because it is easier to buy cheaper land in tha country and build houses on prime habitat. We keep giving and soon there won't be anything left to give. The anti's don't want you hunting with anything so any changes we make won't apppease them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DeltaBuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
I never thought anyone from "my" state would try to push a law like that.  It is a terrible thought.
"Deeds cannot dream what dreams can do"...  E.E. Cummings

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©