INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Coyote pups,,, pics  (Read 7416 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Coyote pups,,, pics
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Could not stand another day of great weather and being confined to the house.

So,I went turkey scouting in hopes I will be able to draw my bow by seasons start.

Saw 8 or 10 deer, a bunch of hens with a few jakes thrown in and 5 coyote pups.

As I crossed a small stream, I noticed some rock outcropings on the opposite bank and paid them no mind. When I got across the stream, I saw two little pups all snuggled up together under the rock. I could not believe it! I grabbed my camera from my shirt pocket and as I did I noticed two more jump up and run under the rock and into what was the entrance to their den. I was only feet away from the rock and was a little spoked that the bitch was in the whole too!
She must have been able to hear me or smell me as I could hear her growling from under the rock.
I could not let this pass without a pic to share with you all, so with my good left hand I held my walking stick at the ready, and with my right hand in a cast I snapped the camera shutter.

As I stepped a little closer the pups were awakened by a small branch breaking under my boot. They jumped and for a second they just looked at me.Then they scurried off under the rockand into their den. They growled at me as well, but I could hear the bitch growling too. So, I thought it was time for me to leave!

As I took another step, I heard the leaves rustle behind me and I thought the bitch was coming out of the den at me. Turning quickly around to see what I was up against, I see this little bugger running towards the den. He must have been laying asleepin the leaves and I did not see him.

Well I was so tickled by this I goofed up the shots of it running back to the den.

Anyway's, it was the most excitment I've had in the past few weeks!

I hope you all get as big of a kick from this as I did.

I may return tomorrow with a video camera to see if they come out and play. Though I am concerned the bitch may move them tonight. I can sit across the hollow and get them on the zoom lens...

What do you all think?

The pups looked several weeks old as they scurried about with some degree of quickness. I guessed 3 weeks old! When they looked right at me I thought to myself, boy their eyes are very pretty. Kinda green/brown in color.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote pups,,, pics
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Very cool pics. responses should be interesting too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
Awesome! I will bet money that she will have moved the pups by nightfall. I studied coyotes for my MS in wildlife. Had a radiocollared female I tracked to her den once. Came across the pups in a rock outcropping much as you did. Ran home for my camera and when I returned within an hour or so, I caught her moving the pups. I never even saw her the first time, but she knew I was there and took no risks.

Thanks for sharing your story! Brought back fond memories!

Steve

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
As much as  dislike coyotes, everytime I see a young pup like that I can't help but smile! I haven't seen any young'ins this year but normaly do see a few every spring.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Just thought to myself that the turkeys I saw were no more than 70yrds from the den. The deer I saw were about 100 yards away. With the small stream for water, the old gal sure picked a prime spot for a den!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Vermonster was waiting for my reply. I am sorry, but I would of killed them all if possible(If season is open, of course)Shawn
Shawn

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Shawn, how could you   :saywhat:    :biglaugh:  

I know some feel that way and I can understand, but I could just not do it. I reason that they may give me a fair chase shot someday. Never have been able to take a coyote,,, YET! We just started seeing them around these parts about 5 years ago.

Nice to come across another predator now and then!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Wow, that's really cool. I like to shoot them if I can during hunting, but not the family. Let 'em pups grow and give 'em a sporting chance.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Well, we started seeing them 25 years ago and now they are wreaking havoc on our deer herd. I know it sounds callous but I say nip it in the bud!! We just had some very deep snow and it got warm and froze on top, well you know what that means, the deer break thru the yotes don't!! A buddy and me took a walk the other day and found 7 coyote killed deer in less than a half mile!@! Shawn P.S. They are cute, no doubt about it! Shawn
Shawn

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
hey that would be cool to see im up close. nice job  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
There's no way I could have killed those pups. Season or no season the coyote is a natural part of the ecosystem, aslong as the population is being held in check I'll put of killing them until they grow up and present a real challenge.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Very cool, thanks for the pictures.

I don't think I could kill the pups, but wouldn't hesitate on the bitch.

My one worry at my (hobby)farm is that my dog, which runs free, will see one and go out to say "Hi" and get itself killed.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
If she was growling you were very close to seeing the wrath of a coyote with no choice.
I have seen their fury at close range when they figured they had no choice. You don`t want to go there without a pump twelve full of #2`s.
They are cute, but as someone else said, in ten more years you will kill them on sight. (providing the law will allow of course)
Fantastic photos. Good luck with a turkey tag.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
Shawn,

I grew up near Binghamton NY and still consider it home though I haven't hunted there in a few years. I saw my first coyotes there in 93. Still plenty of deer there, though I have noticed their behavior has changed. Much more flighty with a full time predator in the woods. Also lived in Plattsburgh, NY (where I did my study) and there were plenty of both coyotes and deer. Given increasing herds throughout most of the state (bag limits have become much more liberal no?) in many areas where there are coyotes, do you really think they are impacting the herd? I know they kill deer, adults and fawns, but I haven't seen too much evidence they are robbing sportsmen of opportunities.... Where are you and what do you see in your neck of the woods? I remember the winter of 93/94, a friend studying deer in Seneca National Park took me out on a spring pellet count. We found dozens of winter-killed deer. Its not unusual in a winter like this one with or without coyotes.

Steve

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
I wouldn't be able to kill them either. I have no problem shooting an adult during deer season, but I have actually let adults walk during turkey season cause I was afraid they might have pups. We don't have near as many here as we did 5 or 6 years ago. I don't know what happened to the population, but it is really down in the area I hunt. I'm sure it will rebound soon though. I really hope it doesn't, but that is probably just wishful hoping. I just can't bring myself to harm the youngsters or their moms, and I feel the same way about deer and other game species.
Don't have a problem with other opinions or actions; that's just my personal feelings.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Yote pups are cute...when they are a week or two younger their eyes are blue.
Im close to Shawn, and the yotes are all over here. Three years ago, I got a deer with the wheelie....great blood for about seventy yards. Then hardly anything. Ended up taking me about two hours from the time of the shot to recover the deer. By that time, it was only a hide. DEC told me then, get all your friends together and start killing em...they estimated it would take about forty dogs to eat that deer in such a short time. I have no doubt they put a hurting on the local deer herd, found a few dozen kills over the lastyear or two.
Otherwise...ya have to admire em. Smart and they can adapt to anything.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Don't be hate'n Shawn. He's got a good reason to feel the way he does. I would kill a pack of rat pups without hesitation and some would not.

:bigsmyl:    :campfire:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Well if you look at from a 5 year view, there's the potential of 40-60 more coyotes for your area just from that den. They are pups, but its all in what the area is being managed for and what the density of coyotes are. If you had livestock, they would be dead now is my guess or if you were running a hunting lease. Everything is relative to the goals of who's there at any given time.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I do not think I know. I spoke to several ENCON officials this past fall. A camera was put in a den in Greene County for only two months, 23 fawns were taken into the den. That is one den with about 3 Adult yotes and some young. Do not fool yourself, Greene County issued no doe permits this past season,that has not happened in 25 years. Shawn
Shawn

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I have to agree with Shawn!!!!! They are a KILLING MACHINE!!!!! I have seen what they do first hand with my own eyes.

They kill a much as they can.....As fast as they can.....THEN they go back and eat untill they're full!!!!!

I saw a pack of 5 coyotes kill 19 turkeys. They pounced on the birds pulling out mouthsfull of wing feathers (birds cannot fly with un-ballanced wings) After the rest of the flock had flown away,they chased down the cripples and killed them.

Believe me or not.....I saw it myself!!!!! I would have killed them.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©