INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Coyote pups,,, pics  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote pups,,, pics
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Oh, by the way several cats, two dogs and a few adult deer were brought in as well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Very cool Joe!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
I am not cold and heartless and it would bother me some, but I look at what they have done to our deer. People say the small game count goes down when ya have a lot of coyotes. I say bull, why eat rabbit when ya can eat deer. Also these deer were not emaciated and die of starving, they had full bellies and there was a lot of evidence they were hunted and ran down by the coyotes. Do as ya want, but I will kill them at every opportunity when legal and hope NY finally gets smart and has an open season year round. I agree they are a wonder of nature, but left unchecked they will put a hurting on Osagetrees deer herd eventually. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I wish you could hunt them all year. I see more of them in the spring when i am hunting turkeys than i do all the other times of the year. Must be they like turkeys as much as deer because they seem to be stalking me when i call. When they wind me they are gone. They are here to stay no matter how many get killed young or old.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Your right Shawn!!!!! You are not cold and heartless. YOU ARE PRACTICAL!!!!!

People think we are "selfish" to kill coyotes because they are decimating our deer herds,I have heard those people say with my own 2 ears "those coyotes have as much right to kill and eat those deer as you do!!!!!" and "those deer aren't YOUR deer"

Well.....So.....We leave them alone.....THEN what happens????? I'll tell you what!!!!! They kill your cats!!!!! They kill your dogs!!!!! They kill your livestock!!!!! Hell,your KIDS aren't even safe playing in the YARD!!!!!

Yup.....I'd have killed them.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Seem's to be a touchy subject! Glad we can discuss it from different views and understand that we are free within the limits of the law to do as we see best,,, THANK GOD FOR AMERICA!

Ohio has an open season,,, that should side on Shawns point of view.

Coyotes were a part of the circle of life before we men were in this part of the world,, that sides on other's views.

Is it not great we can communicate and agree to disagree?

Have fun, be open minded!  :wavey:  

Thank youall for your responses,,,it has made my week!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
I've enjoyed it, but I knew it would be fun from the moment you posted. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
Even here in the DFW area of Texas they are thriving. I have seen them in a wooded area across from an elemntry school just eyeing the kids. In Arlington and Mansfield they are playing havoc with the dogs and cats. People are loosing their pets at an alarming rate. I will kill them on site. I have also seen what they do to a deer herd. I have watched them run deer down and could do nothing because I did not have permission to hunt that ranch. The sad thing is that place was over run with rabbits. Both cottontail and Jack.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Shawn,

I'm from PA you can whack a coyote pretty much every day of the year.

I would have harvested them all as well if possible.

JD

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
My dad lives in High Springs, Florida, he and a freind went to watch his frend's watermelon feild one evening, to see what was destroying the melons, it was yotes ! They would bust one open and eat the heart out of it, then move on to the next one. Destroyed a 30 acre patch in a short time. I never would have beleived it if it had'nt came from my dad. They have no quail, rabbits, turkey, deer, stray cats or dogs around that area. Kinda makes ya wonder, re-introduce ??

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
It was not possible for me to harvest them,,, that's my story.

Mt right arm is in a cast, I had bone surgery two weeks ago,I had no pistol and my walking stick is light aluminum and does not work well as a bludgeon.   :thumbsup:  

Think of it like this, if someone kills some and the other guy deos not,,,maybe it all evens out to a balance we all can survive with?

:pray:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Maybe your DNR will reintroduce wolves to knock the coyote population down.    :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Neat, pretty cool pictures. I've hunted the coyotes for a long time. I respect them for what they are and for what they do in the chain of life. But like all things wild they need to be controlled in a humain and responsible way. "Sometimes the lives of few have to be sacrifaced for the lives of many."  Coyotes out of check will kill a ton more than they eat. And that tips the balance of nature and all wildlife will suffer. Again very cool pictures, glad you made it out of there without a bite.    :scared:
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
This may be a little late, but to quote Dtala from another thread, "I'll take a large popcorn and a drink" Beyond that...I'm Switzerland.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Dryrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Ever since the value of a coyote hide took a dive around here and not as many people hunt them it gets harder and harder to see a rabbit. While most of it is due to loss of habitat quail are as scarce as hens teeth around here as well. Used to be I couldn't go afield with out having at least one covey scare the spit out of me. As with any animal, with out control they will propagate to fill their environment to capacity.
Larry

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
If you can find it, pick up a copy of the book 'Coyotes: Predators and Survivors' by Charles Cadieux.  I tells of the war waged against the coyote by the US Government and is a very interesting fact filled book.

I am 51 years old and there have always been coyotes and coyote hunters around here since I can remember.  I have traveled many miles following coyote hounds on the weekends and watched several tricks that a pair of coyotes have pulled on a pack of dogs.  There are more coyotes around here now than there ever was before and I hear them every evening from all directions around our house.

If I have a gun with me I will shoot at every one I see, adult or pup.  You can try but you will never eradicate the coyote.

Dennis

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
We have got tons of yotes here and I mean alot of them and they havent hurt our deer herd at all but blue tongue disease did, it wiped out 50 percent of our population in one summer, this year. So basically you have a choice, too many deer and the yotes eat a few or yoo many deer and you get blue tongue and get to watch them rot along the streams/creeks. Coyotes are natural predators and the deer around here are not jumpy at all even though they are everywhere. Ive killed and trapped a ton of adults in my life but would not even consider killing a pup.What hurts the rabbit population is the farmers taking out all the fencerows/weedpatches etc., yotes cant catch them any better then your beagle in a thick patch of briars, problem is theres not many of those left. We went out 4 times this year w/snow on the ground and killed 44 rabbits, each time taking our limits in under 3 hrs. and this was because we hunted very thick cover where yotes cant get to them. Alot of our small game problems are caused by ourselves and the predators get to be the scapegoat. Another thing you get rid of the cover for rabbits/quail and it takes away places for the yotes to mouse and rabbit hunt so there left to hunt stray cats,dogs or fluffy out in the back yard, sorry for the rant but just get tired of people blaming the animal when we cause 90 percent of our own problems.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Osagetree:
 We just started seeing them around these parts about 5 years ago.
Five years from now I'm guessing you'll be wishing you had the chance to kill them.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Talk about a rare opportunity there, Osagetree...

I agree with Shawn that the coyotes around here are really wreaking havoc on our deer. That said, there's no way I would have been able to do anymore than just enjoy watching em. Prolly should kill any pups on sight, but I doubt I could...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline flatstick96

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Nice photos, and an interesting thread.  

I grew up in central NY, and at the time that I lived there (through '98) coyote sightings were relatively rare (I spent ALOT of time afield and never saw one).  My father owns a piece of land that for years provided us with great deer hunting opportunities; but the last two years, for the first time since the family has owned it, he didn't deer hunt there.  When I asked him why, he simply said "Coyotes".  When I asked him to elaborate, he described in some detail the decline of the deer herd in that area over the past several years.  At first he didn't know exactly what to attribute it to, but the increased coyote activity that he was experiencing gave him a pretty good idea.  One day a couple of years ago he ran into a good friend of his who is a wildlife biologist and who was studying coyotes in the area.  As it turns out, his friend had been videotaping a den on the piece of property adjacent to my dad's, and he said that over the span of two months, the tape showed 41 fawns being brought back to that one den.  If one den can contribute that much to fawn mortality, I could certainly see where coyotes, one they got a foothold in an area, could wreak havoc on a deer herd pretty damned quickly.

That said, I personally wouldn't kill the pups, or their mother (unless it was clear that they were at an age where they could adequately fend for themselves).
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©