INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Coyote pups,,, pics  (Read 7421 times)

Offline korn stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote pups,,, pics
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
I agree with Shawn.... where legal... I'd kill them all.
Doug

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
This TOPIC has become one of the hidden jewels on Tradgang and would be on any hunting site for that matter.

The topics here about what is traditional archery?,  what is instinctive shooting? , which is better gap or instinctive shooting?...these are all fun to see responses and pretty much an individual question we answer for ourselves. All these personal choice questions and ideas are mute if we don't have the deer that we love so much to hunt.

Vermonster13 was right on point in the very beginning here when he said he could not wait for the answers. I'm sure he pretty sat by his computer or at the very least did not turn it off so after completing what ever it was he was doing, he could quickly see the responses.

Where this topic did not start out to ask what would have one done if they saw this pack, but rather too share pictures of nature not seen by many.
This topic affects our entire hunting community and I feel requires a consensus as how to proceed.  Where hunting ethics, fare chase and the future population of our deer herd are to be discussed and an answer to be made as a community.
Maybe a hot line should be established to notify those who would, for those who would not, not making any of the two to be a bad or nice guy, just a community of action.

What would have Ishi and all his tribesmen throughout the country have done, those who hunted to survive?  Since we control the population via doe permits does it even matter what they would have done and that we have our own problems to solve based on out needs and for the future of bow hunitng?  Are doe permits or getting additional land opened up thru DEC access permits etc the only answer?

Here we are discussing how one way to keep the deer population up is to eliminate Yotes of which I have no issue in controling their population and yet I find sad how here on Long Island and I'm sure throughout the country golf courses are issued nuisance permits where guys drive around in golf carts killing deer and have heard of even burying the carcasses onsite.  Is this fair chase or ethical, or just crazed hunters getting their kicks?  I'd pay extra to see deer run thru my golf coarse.
Hard questions requiring Solomon answers.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Joe those pics are priceless. This thread is gonna be a teachin tool for me tomorrow as I homeschool my kids.
There's nature, politics, history, math, grammer   :bigsmyl:  . I can teach out of this thread all day.
Thanks Joe for startin it, Thanks Tradgang for keepin it rollin. I love this place!!!

P.S. Joe I'm glad you didn't kill em. How would I explain it to Emma?
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I saw the most incredible coyote thing this morning on the way to work.

I-15 in north San Diego county has four lanes of 80MPH traffic that fills the road at rush hour.  I ride a motorcycle; this morning I thought I was hallucinating when I saw a coyote run  across all four lanes... and make it.  I am not sure since the light was low and it happened so fast; but, I think he ran under a pick-up, between the axles, in the process.  They are amazing animals but they sure cause us problems.

The rocket rollerskates he had on said "Acme".

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Osagetree, thanks for sharing the pics of those cute lil' buggers. How is your wrist feeling, the ailment and surgery must have required courage to sustain.
Despite this tempest you stirred up we all wish you a full and speedy recovery. We need to see some of your new bows soon!!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
This whole thread brings up a question from an ethics class. "If you could travel back in time and kill Hitler as a child, would you?" The main argument against it was did the man make the times or the times create the man? With coyotes that question doesn't come into play.

Bears, lions and other predators will kill competing species young and even young of their own species for different reasons. A thread with lots of teaching potential Kenny.

I like civil discussions that make us think and question our own values. Of course different regions have different issues/nonissues with coyotes and other predators also, so we get that thrown in too. In the northeast our coyotes tend to run much larger than elsewhere and deer make a much larger percentage of their diet. Interesting stuff all around.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Dand I hete Coyotes. Hard for me to kill them as well Ga. I just see them as another predator in the woods doing its thing. Plus they look just like a dog. Now pigs thats another story.
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Kenny,
glad you liked the pics and the thread. Grammer,,,oh no! Remember because of the operation/cast, I'm on pain med's and typing left handed .

Kingstaken,
What would Ishi's tribe have done? I don't know. But,I thought of bringing them back to camp and befriending them.... If that did not work, by winter I'd have some lean meat to get me through. Might make a good work dog?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Joe, typing under the influence is a capital offence in my classroom. My 9yr. old will rip that excuse to shreds in the morning, so be well prepared Brother!!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Osagetree,
 Great pictures, you don't run into something like that to often. I couldn't have killed the pups either. I will kill a adult any time I can. 10 years ago we had turkeys all over our place, then the song dogs moved in, and now we haven't seen any turkeys in over 4 years. Go 10 miles in any direction, and the turkeys are there, but on our place the yotes have cleaned them out. It's a rare night when I don't hear them right in back of us, and a few have come into the yard. I know there just another predator, but there out of control here.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Awsome pics man.Once in alifetime probably.I think that deer that are hunted by coyotes are much different as a population, but hey man challenge is what this is about.Thats just deer in their pure state, not suburban deer.Sorry to stray from the topic, again thanks for the pics.Ill bet only 1 or 2 will survive into maturity so dont worry too much.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I have said my piece,and made my stand.....But,to each thier own.

To My Brother Osagetree.....Thank You for your pictures,I have enjoyed this thread!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 05:05:00 AM »
Joseph,
I don't know if i would trust them for a pet, after all they are wild animals. We use to have a pack of wild dogs that were running around here, my sister in laws boy friend found a pup while hunting took the thing home and tried to raise it. That dog was nothing but mean even after he treated it good that makes me wonder about those pups.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
I used to love seeing a coyote while in the woods. Over the years, the sightings became all too frequent and then friends started losing their hunting dogs. I have beagles and a bird dog, and my view of them has changed.

They are an incredible animal, but the balance of nature no longer exists. Their only natural enemies are gone in my area. The only method left to control them is man. As a result, coyote hunting has become much more popular. Some guys put fast hounds on them to run them to gun. Others, actually breed a very tough, fast dog that will run them down and kill them - usually 2 or 3 dogs on one coyote. I know several coyote hunters who take 50-75 each year. It doesn't seem to make a difference. Their population seems to keep going up.

Within the last month, a guy in my area was walking his two labs in a very rural spot. In his presence, 5 coyotes attacked and killed the 80 lb dogs. According to the dog owner, the coyotes killed these large dogs very quickly. By the time the owner got back with the game authorities, the dogs had been eaten.

I've talked with many coyote hunters and some have  taken several coyotes in the 60+ lb range. That's damned near a wolf. In fact, the DEC in New York has documented wolf genes in the coyotes population of this area.

All that said, I personally would have probably not killed the pups, but I certainly would not have faulted anyone who did.

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
4runr,
Now you get to talk about Hitler in your history lesson of the day!  

I say if it is open season, they're gonners.  As Jim Gafigan says fun to pet and look at, better to chew.

What would Ishi had said if you brought him a quiver made out of a brain-tanned coyote cub? ....
..... THANKS!
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
In ND, we pretty much kill all coyotes on sight if at all possible. Up here the damn things kill everything from gamebirds to young livestock like four legged serial killers.   They've almost completely rendered fox extinct in my area.

They are almost unbelievably bold when things are going their way. I've seen an adult coyote walk through my yard following a deer trail, and have found their tracks in the mud 6" from my gamebird pens, also in the yard.  In the last two years we've lost about 25-30 chickens, guineas, and ducks to coyotes and coon.

Cute as those pups are, I would have killed them on the spot and snared the den area to get the adults...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
Great pics!As to whether I would kill them if given the chance?I don't know.We have not had them around long.Wildlife officers say to kill them all.Open season all yr.on private land.It says alot about  those on this site that it can be talked about without name calling and insults.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
"Killing Machine" - No. God's Dog is a predator just like us! They kill to eat and survive. For most of us. It's a sport. I like song dogs! So he likes venison! Who doesn't! I have nothing but respect for them. And no animosity.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
P.S. You folks that shoot them. I understand why. And they do need to be controlled. I just can't do it.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
Those are extremely cool pictures.  Thanks for sharing them.  I like predators.  They keep things interesting.  In the woods, and on the internet forums  :)

Trying to control coyotes is like trying to control rats or cockroaches.  As long as there is carrying capacity, they will be there.  Kill them all as far as I care but it is pretty fruitless without a concerted and expensive eradication effort.  And that is probably only short term.  It has been tried and been somewhat successful in the past...for a time.  In our day, it would never even get off the ground.

Enjoy them in whichever way you want.  In Indiana they were enjoying some pretty healthy population growth until furs became a little more valuable.  The we started hunting them pretty heavy and it seems to have slowed their expansion.  Places like Parke County in western Indiana are still thick with them.  But like Indianalongbowshooter said, the Blue Tongue wiped out half the deer so I bet we will have some correction in a the next few years.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©