INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Missouri Dept of Conservation Changing Feral Hog Strategy  (Read 2028 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Missouri Dept of Conservation Changing Feral Hog Strategy
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
With numbers of feral hogs on the rise, the Missouri Department of Conservation is gearing up to eradicate the destructive pests on its areas. Agency officials say they hope to lead the way in developing policies and techniques to reduce threats to human and veterinary health and to the state's economic and ecological well-being.

Feral hogs - free-ranging swine without owners - have been present in Missouri since settlers let livestock roam without fences. Disease, predators and casual hunting have been all that kept feral hog numbers in check in areas where populations persisted. Conservation Department officials estimate the state's feral hog population today at between 5,000 and 10,000.

Even in small numbers, however, feral hogs are bad news. Their habit of rooting for food contributes to soil erosion and reduces plant diversity. They compete for food against native wildlife, such as deer, and they devour the eggs of ground-nesting birds such as quail and turkeys. They can transmit potentially devastating veterinary diseases, such as pseudorabies and brucellosis, not to mention maladies that affect humans, including leptospirosis.

Seeing such problems associated with feral hog populations in other states, the Conservation Department began encouraging hunters to shoot feral hogs on sight as early as 1999. This approach resulted in limited success a few years; then feral hog numbers began to rise again.

"One of the reasons that hunting didn't work was that hunting alone is not enough," said Private Land Field Program Supervisor Rex Martensen. "Hogs are intelligent animals, and they adapt quickly to being hunted. After a few are killed, the rest become extremely wary, and the effectiveness of hunting drops off sharply."

Another reason hunting alone does not work is the fact that hunting creates an incentive for a few people to ensure hogs' survival. Martensen said the Conservation Department has strong evidence that hogs are being brought into Missouri illegally and released on public land. What else, he asks, could explain the appearance of Eurasian boars in areas previously inhabited only by feral domestic hogs?

Since hunting has not worked, the Conservation Department is adopting a multi-faceted approach similar to that used by state and federal officials in Kansas. It involves traps, sharpshooters and helicopters along with other control methods.

Like sport hunting, trapping is effective only up to a point. Hogs not captured in the first few attempts become trap shy. Some of these trap-savvy animals can be taken at night by sharpshooters using night-vision optics. In some terrain, trap-shy hogs can be taken from the air, using helicopters to locate and pursue them.

The Conservation Department is working with Kansas officials and the USDA Wildlife Services to learn aerial hunting techniques. Training scheduled for later this month on conservation areas in southwest Missouri will get the process started.

"To some people, this might seem like going to extremes," said Martensen, "but the stakes could hardly be higher. Hogs running wild and those brought into Missouri without veterinary health certification could carry diseases capable of devastating the state's agricultural economy. Large-scale livestock operations in other states have been decimated by swine pseudorabies spread by feral hogs."

Another feral hog-transmitted disease, leptospirosis, affects people as well as most animals. Its flu-like symptoms make leptospirosis hard to diagnose. Antibiotics cure most human cases, but about one person in 10 develops a form of Weil's disease, which can be fatal.

Domestic animals can contract leptospirosis from ponds or other water that is contaminated by infected animals. The disease settles in the kidneys and can cause abortions and stillbirths.

Swine brucellosis has been found in wild hogs in Missouri and other states. The human form of brucellosis, undulant fever, causes recurring fever, fatigue and joint pain.

The Conservation Department owns or manages only about 1.7 percent of Missouri's total acreage, so eradicating feral hogs on conservation areas is not a solution to the problem.

"Getting rid of feral hogs on Department land is the responsible thing to do to protect those areas and Missouri's livestock industry," said Martensen. "But the really important thing about this program is to show that it can be done and how. If we can do it, there are plenty of folks ready to join us and do their share."

Martensen said potential partners in the Conservation Department's feral hog-eradication effort include other government agencies, nongovernmental conservation organizations and livestock producers. The Missouri Department of Agriculture and the Missouri Farm Bureau Federation have supported past Conservation Department efforts to eradicate feral hogs.

"Everyone in Missouri has a stake in getting a handle on this problem now, before it becomes a crisis," said Martensen.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Dept of Conservation Changing Feral Hog Strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
Hmmm...I'm gonna have to think about this for a while.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline citori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
I dont like it....PERIOD....in no shape for or fashion.

NO state that has feral hogs has been able to "eradicate" them.  They are too prolific.  It is a waste of tax $$$ and a waste of some of the best wild/feral game animal meat there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When we go to Tx to hunt them everyone told us the same thing..."there are places that have hogs and places that WILL have hogs"....  The methods they are going to try like shooting em from choppers will only SLOW the spread....at an UNREAL cost in $$$$$....it wont "eradicate" them...just slow the spread

If they begin to become a problem for private land owners they have options that the average man does not!!!  They can bait them and shoot them at night with the aid of a spotlight.....or LET MORE GUYS HUNT THEM ON THEIR LAND.....

I have VERY strong opinions on the subject....

thanks
citori

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
The problem is with guys bringing hogs in and releasing them so they can hunt them. Some states are considering outlawing hog hunting to take away the incentive of stocking them. Also you have a strong agricultural contingent that wants them gone and politics being what it is, they have to make the effort to keep their jobs. Will they succeed, well it would be a first. But guys need to think things through when they do things like bring the boars in they give us all a black eye and we're seen as part of the problem and not the solution.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline citori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
I agree you should not import them....but is it a hog problem or a person problem?????just think about that for a while???

Were ringneck phesants native or were they exotic???  Do they transfer diseases to domestic livestock????  OH......but wait there is a HUGE market of hunting this exotic species....

Now....define the difference between feral and russian/european hogs???  They are both the SAME SPECIES...just different mutations/adaptations to better suit their regional needs.  How did these hogs get here in the first place????  I would assume the majority of them were leftover hogs not captured after the end of "free range" in the 40-50 years ago with some that were probably released.  Some are probably escaped livestock that became feral.  BUT I would not blame the existance of feral hogs on hunters.....

The areas around me that have hogs, agriculture is NOT even really a consideration. Most of the areas that have hogs in MO are ozark hills. The only danger from the hogs MIGHT be to livestock farmers.  I would like to see the documented cases of feral hogs transmitting these things to domestic livestock......where they can prove the diseases came from ferals.  Then I would like to see the percentage of those same diseases in livestock from areas with no feral hogs.

This reminds me of the guys around SEMO that have snow geese eating up thier winter wheat fields and whining and crying....but wont let anyone hunt them.  BUT they have this happen every year and KEEP planting wheat.....I wonder if they have crop insurance on those fields....hhhuuuuummmmm

thanks
citori

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
I don't need to think about it, people brought them to the states long ago. Perhaps hunters are being used as a scapegoat. I don't live where you do and don't know the political mind there, which is why I post these threads. This way you folks with a vested interest can get things going in the right direction. I am the messenger, I just want to be sure folks understand as many sides of the issues as possable.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
One thing I know...a lot of what the MO Dept. of Conservation says is aimed at educating a largely ignorant, non-hunting, non-outdoor orientated public.  

What they went through to get a limited archery deer season near Longview Lake was silly...even though deer populations were over 5 times ideal carrying capacity, habitat destruction was near a crisis and a large starve off was imminent.  

I agree with you Citori, I don't like the idea of shooting them from choppers or whatever...and spending public $$$ to try to eradicate them from a tiny fraction of the landscape sounds like a waste of time to me.

It is unfortunate some individuals have apparently intentionally imported them...in time they would have been here anyway, and hunters would not have looked like they were to blame.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
A massive aerial hunting/eradication program hasn't woeked in Aussie. In's not cost effective either. Any idea what a chopper cost to fly, per hour? Last I heard, even for a small one, near $600 ... and that's an 'old price'.

If you're like most places, part of the problen is that the hunters can't get to the pigs - lanowner permission; restricted access to public lands, etc.

Another aspect, which I found rampant when I investigated the New Zealand Possum Control Program; there's a lot of money to be made by someone. The big buzz in 'ecology' today is 'invasive species'. Unlike the old 'save endangered species' career tract, the 'invasives' offer endless opportunities for the aspiring 'ecologist', especially if he assumes a 'take no prisoners' attitude.

I'd say someone needs to take a long hard look at the 'greenback trail' behind this eradication scheme. The pigs won't be eradicated, and someone could make a real good income for years on end ... just as they are doing with New Zealand's possums.

Ed

Offline citori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
vermonster13

Thanks for bringing this up....it really gets me fired up!!!!!!  I try to keep up with what is going on but sometimes if miss stuff.

I GERERALLY agree with what the MDC does....but not this.....

Dr. Ashby and slowboinMO....we are on the same page.....I AGREE with everything both of you said

thanks
citori

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Dr. Ashby also brings up a good point regarding access...that has definitely been a problem as the MDOC continues to try to push doe tags to keep the deer population in check.  Public lands were just getting even more intense pressure, but the real population problem was not being addressed, again due to access.  Like the Snow goose thing Citori mentioned.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Hogs were introduced into the mountains where I hunt in 1994.At the edge of these mountains are large farms,mostly beef,but some dairys raising corn for silage.There is a no limit, either sex,year round season on them and they have never left the confines of the hills.I don't buy into the theory thta they will spread to all corners if we don't get rid of them.They haven't here and they have every opportunity to do so.I live to hunt hogs with my bow,but I have also seen hogs decimate an acorn crop to the point that the deer where a non-participant.We have mild winters here and I don't think this has had a negative effect on the deer or turkeys since both are still healthy and plentiful.So far everybody seems to be getting along just fine.I guess my point is:the hogs haven't spread,deer and turkey continue to thrive,no problems with farmers -SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?-OH,I FORGOT ABOUT THE ECOLOGISTS JOB SECURITY!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
I can see how some misguided individuals may thing that introducing strains of hog for hunting would be a good thing.  I would support strick fines and jail time for those caught doing this.  There is no need to "stock" hogs once you have a breeding population you have hogs to deal with for a long time.  Making it easier for folks to hunt them would be a good incentive, combined with trapping and other means of getting rid of them.  I'll hunt them any chance I get.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Deerhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 03:20:00 AM »
I would have to agree that there is some money issue behind the seen. Wild hogs are in many other states without problems so what makes Mo. any different. The state has some agenda that we may never know the truth of.
  Make outfitting for hogs illegal, levy stiff fines for releasing hogs, and allow year round hunting. That would help control the hog population in my book.
  I had to laugh about using choppers to hunt them. Someone has a screw loose if they think that shooting them from helocopters will work. The areas that those hogs are in are so thick a beagle would have trouble getting thru it.
  I hope they don't ban hunting them I'm already looking forward to SEMO hog hunt #2.
Cancer must have a crooked shootin bow cus it ain't kilt me yet.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
FWIW:  I would like to suggest that we also look beyond the game animal perspective.  Simple fact of the matter is that flora & fauna of Missouri are not adapted to deal with the impact of feral hogs, regardless of their origin.  Introduced species are a bad deal regardless of what it is.  Case in point:  Starlings, Kudzu, Fescue, etc.  The genetics of these animals indicates blends from all types of origins.  These pigs aren't migrating up from the south like the armadillos.  It is very apparent from the evidence I have read that people are releasing them with the intent to establish a huntable population.  MDC is trying to avoid the ripple effect that will impact all other aspects of the land.  Now, having said that, I think that it will be difficult to fix things via helicopter hunting.  I agree with SlowBow, there is a big attempt here at education for the general non-hunting public.  I also think that the department is generally trying to make a statement to those that are releasing the animals.  I know a lot of people in the department, and I have worked for them myself.  I don't think that there is hidden agenda here.  I don't see this as an ecologist job security deal.  Heck, a lot of the people making the decisions in wildlife biology don't identify with that.  University people do, but not the average MDC employee.  It may be that one of the commissioners or one of the big bosses knows someone that owns a charter flight company, and if so it should be exposed.  The helicopter deal is a joke.  Taken as a whole the department has good people that try to do a decent job.   The department is all about hook & bullet today, they just want to keep the turkey, & deer populations healthy as well as maintaining the general success of the forage they require.  Wild hogs don't figure into that success.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline citori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
NOW.......lets lobby to "eradicate" pheasants....they are a non native animal!!!!!!

Do you think that would fly???????NO!!!!!!There is a multi million dollare industry built around this exotic invasive bird!!!  Of course in my area we had a decent number of pheasants at one time.....guess what happened to a LOT of them?????  Farmers/farm workers shot them!!!!!!!!  This is a fact straight out of the mouths of some local farmers!!!  QUOTE "They walk down the rows behind the planter and pull the corn kernals out and eat them when we plant so we kill all we can"....."the best time is during the winter after a snow.....they come out of the ditches and look in the field edges for grain......then you can just pick em off with a 22/22mag rifle....they just stand there and let you shoot....I killed over 200 one winter.....but there arent many left around now.....chuckle chuckle"

How does that make you feel......it makes me VERY VERY MAD!!!!!  just like the hog deal.

I do think that HUGE numbers of hogs COULD possibly cause some conflict with native wildlife....but not under normal conditions. I understand that it is not good to introduce ANY non native plant/animal.....but I do not think that it is the type of problem that the MDC is acting like it is.....keep in mind I only have first hand experience in the SEMO area.

Telling people they cannot hunt them like Kansas did is BULL.....shooting them from choppers is HORRIBLY HORRIBLY EXPENSIVE....not to mention it WILL NOT "eradicate" them.

We have an established breeding population the will NEVER BE ERADICATED....it is that simple.  Every state that has them has tried unsuccessfully tried to "eradicate" them and all they have managed to do in the BEST cases is keep the hogs from spreading!!! But at what cost to tax payers???? I thing that you have to remember is you have to kill 70-80% every year to just keep the hogs from spreading!!!!  NOT GONNA HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT.

I am sure that they can shoot/trap and harass the hogs enough that you and I will never be able to reasonabley expect to get a shot at hogs.....but they will not 'eradicate" them.  Or they can just outlaw the hunting of hogs.....that will make the guys turning them loose stop!!!! LOL

It is unreasonable, expensive, and illogical to do anything other than what the govt is doing now.  They are keeping the hogs under control in my area by trapping and hunting alone.  

Leave the hogs alone.....and leave the hog hunters alone!!!!

If individual farmers/people have specific problems with hogs on their land LET THEM DEAL WITH IT!!!!  Whatever happened to the mentality of taking care of your own problems.....you can currently use ANY means to kill the hogs.....it is not the governmets responsibility to do YOUR job/work for you all of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This REALY steams me up!!!!

later
citori

thanks
citori

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
The people who didn't put them on their private land co have a right to expect some measure of protection from the government. I am not saying that this plan they have is a good one, it's not and will be prohibatively expensive, but you also need to realize this is not a problem of the regular citizens making either. There need to be a balance that protects the nonhunting citizen and utilizes hunters in a positive manner. Seems we already got enough negative put on us by the irresponsible.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lee in S.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »

Offline citori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
If it becomes a LARGE scale problem of disease/distruction/devastation then ok......but I think that the government is doing a good job of controlling the hogs now using traps and the effective use of hunting.

On our SEMO hog hunt we had a lot of guys in the woods cover a LOT of ground.  We saw sign and some hogs.....but I feel that the trapping they are doing along with the hunters have really  kept the numbers down lower than it was two-three years ago. It is my feeling that it is FAR FAR from a large scale problem!!!  Keep in mind that I am ONLY speaking for the wappapello lake area.

thanks
citori

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Kansas took a different approach to controlling feral hogs here and I hope Missouri doesn't follow along.  It is now illegal to hunt hogs here unless you are a landowner where there are hogs or a designated hunter for that landowner.

The feral hogs in Kansas were believed to be set free by outfitters wanting to get more hunting opportunities for their clients.  Now the Ks. F&G thinks that outlawing hog hunting will help cure he problem.

Dennis

Offline Deerhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Levying stiff fines for hog seeding and making outfitting for hogs illegal would solve the problem of people adding hogs to the population.

Citori's right, there's hardly a major problem with hogs around the Lake Wappapello area in MO. and I doubt that there is anywhere in Mo. It's just one more good example of government having a kneejerk reaction to something minor and going way overboard.

By the way Citori...you getting nervous about taking the plunge yet? LOL All the best to ya.
Cancer must have a crooked shootin bow cus it ain't kilt me yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©