INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Crossbows in SC  (Read 1605 times)

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Crossbows in SC
« on: April 25, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
It appears that our state government is going to try (using weasel tactics, hey they are politicos) to make crossbows legal for archery hunts. If this becomes a reality the question maybe be to we as bowhunters become sheep and rollover. Or do we go after the concerned parties. Your thoughts.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crossbows in SC
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
SC Bill s691 passed thru committee and go to the full state senate tomorrow.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I've sent the info on to be discussed at the NABC meeting during the P & Y convention this week.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks Al Dente, we in the SCBA are organizing to stop this.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
from experience I can tell you that unless you can get to someone ranking on the committee that runs the wildlife legislation in your state to block this, you can pretty much count on it happening.

The misguided souls on our DNR board were even for it, because none of them were bowhunters and they THOUGHT because we had a deer population problem that by allowing this they would see harvest numbers increase, recruitment go up- instead, they saw a bunch of guys who were gunhunters who never bowhunted buying these things the 30 days before bow season and they went out and used it to pop deer without having to expend the effort necessary to shoot a bow.

They didn't get any additional license sales at all. Pawn shops are now full of new crossbows.

These deals are cut behind closed doors, and over bbq at private political gatherings that involve politicos, lobbyists, like the ATA,heck
Bass Pro Shops helped them get it through here, and others with a vested interest in the CASH!!!!

That's how they did it in Georgia...and if you don't want crossbows in YOUR state, you better start way before anyone begins this process, get to the state wildlife committees in your legislature, and SHOW them the difference between the two and why a crossbow is not a bow or you are doomed.

In other words, be proactive, or be a sheep...you have only two choices in my view.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm glad someone posted this already.  I just sent out emails to Professional Bowhunters Association, as well as the NACB hoping to get some support.  I also forwarded a pdf version of the legislation to everyone on the SCBA mailing list for everyone to review, as well as links to our representatives websites where they can be contacted.  

Its sad to see the DNR supporting this, I'm pretty disappointed.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Yes Tim and Ray it appears that our DNR has got in bed with the ATA. Not sure what their purpose is except show how stupid they are. There is no archery license to buy. (Maybe I should say yet) There are a few special archery hunting areas. But most area have gun seasons.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
I just recieved a response from the Southeastern representative for NACB providing me with documentation such as letters, bullets, and others that were used in Florida to prove there case.  If anyone is interested I'd be more than happy to email you a copy.

Also have a copy of the letter sent by New York Conservation Officers Association.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Follow the money!  Just like Ohio.  If they can make $$$$$$ they will come.
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
We've been able to defeat crossbow legislation in NYS for over a decade now with a solid, grassroots movement.  You must present the facts to the Legislators and the options available for the disabled bowhunter.  There's a plethora of information available from the NABC, and being the Chairman of the Anti-Crossbow Committee for New York Bowhunters, Inc., I can assist you if you need it.  Begin by setting up face to face meetings with your Local Legislators, the Sponsors of the Bills themselves, and Members of the Environmental Committees of your State Legislature.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Al,
Good advice.  I read the letter sent by the New York Conservation Officer Association and they had done a pretty good job, and good place to start. Thanks for your help.
Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
There's plenty more information out there.  A study was done about 2 years ago using a borrowed crossbow.  Target bales were set up from 20 yards to 100 yards.  After only 20 shots, the shooter was able to group 5 bolts in a 4" group at 100 yards!!!!

Utilizing data collected by a joint crossbow study sanctioned by the DNR's of Ohio and Arkansas
a few interesting points have been brought to light, and dispelled some crossbow "truths".  The first "truth" is that once the crossbow is introduced, they do not impact harvest totals.  Actually, since 1986, there have been more deer harvested by crossbows than traditional and compound tackle.  The next "truth" is that crossbows introduce new hunters into the brethren.  The TRUTH is that there is ZERO new hunter growth from crossbows.  The third "truth" is that there is no great influx of hunters into the archery season.  The truth is that there is a crossover ratio of 37% of firearms hunters(NEW crossbow hunters) into the archery seasons when crossbows are introduced.  These have been gleaned from their own study.

And then you have the multitude of success stories from temporarily injured of permanently physically disabled bowhunters who have utilized adaptive equipment that they've either made themselves or gotten from a manufacturer to get back to bowhunting.

There are options and truths to combat the manufacturers, sellouts, and shills.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline Texas Tinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Bob, we just went through this here in Texas and it appears that we have stopped it here.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Crossbow/index.html  

Follow the above link to an online version of our petition. We also collected several hundred signatures by encouraging members to print out petitions and carry them to pro shops and 3D shoots in their area.

After our Bill passed the House (132-1), we were all prepaired to make room for x-bows during the Archery Season here in Texas...however, we didn't give up. We sent copies of the petitions over (via fax and hand delivered) and made sure that we had a good representative ready to speak at the Senate hearing.

PBS and NABC should be able to help with getting your ducks in a row but it will take involved members to stop it.

It appears to have helped our cause...this time.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Same thing happening here in Michigan.  We have held it off for now, but I am afraid this is like the "finger in the dike".

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©