INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: VA Hunters MUST Read About Deer Dogs  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Elkstabber

• Trad Bowhunter
VA Hunters MUST Read About Deer Dogs
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
Virginia allows deer hunting with dogs during firearm season in the eastern 2/3 of the state.
In a nutshell Virginia's current laws allow the use of dogs (any kind and number) to be turned loose on permitted land (any size) and then "hunters" can wait on permitted land for the deer to run by.

Perhaps the worst part is that the dogs are ALLOWED to go anywhere without any responsibility of the dogowners. On top of this any person can wander anywhere they choose (even if posted) if he says that he's looking for a dog. He doesn't have to even own a dog. Even on private posted land you can't know who else is on the property. You can't even make them leave your own land.

In the last three years Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina (not quite done yet) have enacted legislation to control deer dogs with the use of permits and penalties if the dogs leave the permitted land.

ITS TIME FOR VIRGINIA TO WISE UP ! ! !

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries is currently considering changing laws regarding the use of deer dogs. Public input is encouraged up until the deadline of June 15. The website's link is   http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/comment/recommendations.asp  

Please let your opinion be known by posting on their website.

Please respond briefly to this message and then respond in a longer letter to the DGIF's website.

Thank you

I edited your post to present facts and not oppinions. We don't need to infight or feed ammo to the anti's. Logic and facts not emotions are what are needed. VM13

Offline Makete

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA Hunters MUST Read About Deer Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
You sound like you belong to the HSUS, ELKSTABBER. Why take some one elses way of hunting if it is legal and humane. It would be like someone saying that bow hunting is not right because they dont do it or like it. Or longbows are not right, or recurves, or crossbows or rifles or anything that they dont do or understand. We hunters have to stick together or we ALL lose. Look at all the attacks on our ways of life that are happening already. We have to stick together or we all lose.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
We need to stick together in a responsible fashion. Better controls on the use of dogs is not a bad thing. Many states have updated their dog hunting laws to remove loopholes to keep less scrupulous folks from taking advantage of dog hunting. Regulation is not always a bad thing. If he was asking for the banning of dog hunting then that would be a different matter altogether.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on this issue but unfortunately in this state money talks first.
 Most houndsmen here are a resposnsible lot over all, they have alot invested in their dogs and in the eastern part of Va. the swamps and THICK areas are prime for the dogs to move deer. Dogs are not a method used by bow hunters but I have hunted a few times behind a friend's dogs.
 Posted property should be respected by all-the dogs will come out when they are hungry or if a person is after his dogs he should not be armed.
 Just my opinion.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Ed Frye

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Have been in VA for over twenty years and even though I don't hunt with dogs it is the way they have done it for years. All the clubs that I have known are very resposiable for thier dogs, most drive around posted property that they are not allowed on until they find thier dogs. altogrther I believe vermonster13 hit the nail on the head.
Thanks and keep promoting the great sport of bow hunting to our youth and friends.
Ed P. Frye II
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
Here's what I submitted to VDGIF:
I have never understood the concept of using dogs to chase deer as being “fair chase”. I realize it is a regional and traditional way to hunt deer. I would like to see dog hunting regulated like Archery Season, Muzzleloading Season, and General Firearms Season. Why not make a Dog Season like Falconry whereas dogs can only be used from dates “A” to “B”. That way the state could charge for yet another license like they did with Crossbows.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Well, I was born and raised in New England in a  state where we had Sunday hunting and no dogs allowed for Deer hunting.

I've lived in Va. for the last 20 years where Dog Hunting is legal and Sunday Hunting is not. My feelings run similar to Va Bowbender's in that I see no "Sport" or fair chase in Dog hunting for deer. I'm not in favor of dog hunting, but if they are gonna allow it then regulate it w/ a special season.

Some of the old timmers here say they use the dogs to push the deer out of the swamps, and that is true, and we do have some thick swamps here.

But I say, if you're any kind of a Hunter then go into them Swamps after your Game like lots of us do. I, as well as many other Hunter's here in our area have done so successfully with out the use of dogs for both Deer and Hogs (in BackBay) many times.

And for those that use the "excuse" of hunting deer w/ dogs because they're too old, or not physically capable of getting in a tree stand, then I say sit in a ground blind in the woods or on a BeanField. There's plenty of deer killed that way every year as well.

As far as the handler's and hunter's being responsible, it is true that many are. But some are not, and other's are down right dangerous the way they "hunt".

Our area locally is shotgun and MZ loader only due to being highly populated and having small woodlots. However, some jurisdictions within these same area's allow the use of rifle's if you are hunting from an eleved stand of 15 ft. or more above the ground. I've seen and know dog hunters who fly around the back roads in their trucks in these areas with C.B.'s a blasting chasing deer from woodlot to woodlot and jumping out of their trucks, like they're on patrol in Bagdad, when one is spotted crossing a field etc., and emptying the clips of their High Powered semi-auto's at these deer w/out much regard for who or what is in their line of fire.

I'm not an Anti-gun hunter by any means, in fact, the majority on my hunting is w/ firearms.

These comments may seem harsh to some who haven't observed this type of behavior from the few bad apples that practice it, but if it were happening in your hunting area's you would certainly understand the safety factor involved.

YB

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
It's a slippery slope when a distinct minority in the world of hunting starts casting stones at other methods. There are ways to make it fair for everyone and that's what we should strive for. The anti's want to stop all hunting and don't mind one bit picking on the smaller groups first.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
I agree with your comments to an extent Vermontster. However, I'm speaking from a law abiding, safety conscious Majority gun hunters point of view here. Not as a Trad Bowhunter in the Minority.

In these small, heavily populated hunting area's we have here it is simply too dangerous to allow activites that could possibly invite the consequenses that can occur as a result of the actions of even a few "bad" dog hunters as mentioned in my above reply.

Within the past 2 season several houses in my area were shot by dog/road hunter's as was atested to by eye witnesses. I'm not saying that a stray bullet from even a safety concious hunter can't find a house on ocassion, but those incidents are certainly much fewer and a lot less likely to hapen at all.

I support all types and methods of hunting except where a safety concern is an issue, and in our area, and IMO, I do beleive this is the case.

As I've stated previously, I'm not a fan of Dog Hunting to begin with, and as a whole thruout the country where gun hunting is concerned, Dog
hunters are the distinct minority.

YB

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
My statement wasn't just for you Bill. Thing is, letters need to be written and meetings attended by folks who represent hunting well. Don't use negatives or blanket statements on another legal aspect of hunting, but use documented facts and legitimate concerns to bring about a policy that is safe and fair for all. The more we give up, the less we have to lose.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I agree with that statement whole heartedly Vermonster.

YB

Offline DAC7316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
I have land in Bath county and did not know of any law as you described.  You are right we don't need dogs or dog owners running around on private land without the land owners permission. Where are th current laws located.

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Hi DAC7316,

Not quite sure who you are directing your question to and what laws you are referring to.

If you are referring to the laws where you have to be elevated 15 ft. or more above the ground to use a rifle, that is an area specific Ordanance and I'm only aware of the area's here in certain parts of Suffolk and Chesapeake that they apply. They are found in the Local Ordanance sections of the Hunting Regs. for those 2 Cities.

YB

Offline DAC7316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Hello Yankee Bill, I was refering to ElkStabbers second paragraph where he wrote the dog owner was permitted to go on private land to retrieve his dog.  From what I've read in the VGDIF hunting regulations it is illegal to trespass, period.  I also hunt in SC where they hunt deer with dogs. I personally don't care for it but I'm ok with it if its legal.  I've had many hunts ruined by dogs that have been released just to get the deer moving in areas where dog hunting is not allowed.  I know I'm changing the subject a little but what about being able to hunt squirrels with guns during archery season?  Now thats one law I would like to see changed, it messes up good archery hunting for deer.  At least give us a few weeks of uninterrupted archery season.  In SC small game hunting is not allowed with guns during archery seasons.  I'm not against squirrel hunting with guns at all, just during archery season for deer.

Offline DAC7316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
OK, I found it in the VDGIF rules Hunting with dogs and ElkStabber is right, guys if you don't agree with the law you should provide feedback to the lawmakers.  I had never heard of such a crazy law.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©